The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ekological --

The BMW CCA is notoriously anal about convertibles.

A big percentage of the people buying this car are buying for track usage.

Here in California we have gaggles of S2k's, Miatas, and other convertible type cars that probably wouldn't even pass the "broomstick test" out on track at every event I've ever been to. Maybe you need to find more reasonable groups to run with? I would think an Elise is probably actually safer than an M3 with a sun roof, given the light weight and integrated steel roll hoop.

While the CCA and others might want a hard top on the Elise, I'm not actually sure one would increase your safety. Extracting you from the vehicle would be a lot harder with one in place, and if anything significant comes into contact with it, it's likely to deform since it's not structural anyway. I'd say it's a toss-up. The roll bar is the important thing.

OTOH, you seem to have a lot of other doubts about the car. I track an E36 M3 as well, and I think it is a great track car. If you don't absolutely *love* the Elise, sell it, and use all that extra money for more track days and schools. That's really the debate I'm having with myself: whether this car is really worth the ever-increasing price tag.

If you love the M3, as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

- John
'95 M3 w/ S50B32 conversion

·
Registered
587 Posts
p.s. Funny you mention it, as my M3 was rear-ended about a year ago which also started my search for a new car.

I ended up getting the car fixed anyway and after much heart ache it seems to be more-or-less put back together.

But I understand what you mean -- for a few months I didn't even want to look at the car -- just bad memories and worries about incipient issues that might crop up down the road.

- John

·
Registered
587 Posts
ekological said:
Lazer blue is real nice but now that the car is $1000 more and it's no longer offered....ugh.
Since when? Did I miss something? Oh well, if so, it can only make my decision easier (fewer choices).

What other clubs have you run with besides the 'CCA? They are one of my least favorite groups to run with... they're fun when you're a beginner but they are just way to conservative to keep being fun as you get faster and get addicted to more and more track time. They even frown upon driving on r-comps, even Toyo's.

I wonder if the next debate we'll be having after this all gets sorted out is whether LSS is kosher with the 'CCA! :rolleyes:

- John
'95 M3

·
Registered
587 Posts
LeftyS7 said:
Spring Mountain? I live in Reno (Northwest Nevada), where is Spring Mountain? Is it in Southwest Nevada?
Pahrump, NV, about 1 hour north of Las Vegas.

It is an awesome track, but it takes FOREVER to get there.

For you, it's probably only 4-5 hours. From the Bay Area, it's more like 10-12.

If you can make it to an event there, you are all but guaranteed all the track time you can handle. I don't think I have ever seen more than 25 cars at an event, and it's usually much less than that.

- John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.