The Lotus Cars Community banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Hans Stuck said:
BS to the story or to our belief that being told not come back was motivated by the ass-whooping?

As to the story: Why the hell would I make it up, Mitch?

It was the weekend of May 22-23, National Capital Chapter of BMWCCA. Summit Point Jefferson Circuit. The S2000 was an '04 and it was red. I have the guy's name if you need it. The Chief instructor was a woman named Miriam. She has an older 911SC.
You need more proof & details? It was very very hot that weekend. Some idiot spun his E46 M3 off the skidpad into the mud ditch on the inside part of the pad.
What else do you require? The S2000 owner has the initials C.J.

As to our belief: Well, I just think that the CCA is a little arbitrary about this stuff. They let cars they like run. I doubt a 246 Dino is any safer, but they'd let that run. Sure -- it's a "Targa" style car....but they like it better too.

I don't worry about it. FATT gives you more track time at Summit Point and they allow open cars. So does the PCA. There are many options.

** But you didn't answer the question --- So ... if the BMWCCA says "NO" to the Elise, are you going to back out on buying it, Mitch? Or does the M3 need to sell first? Maybe I should call "BS" on you / that.
Hans,

I ment BS to the fact that there was a convertible on the track. CCA's policy is that NO convertibles are allowed at any of their track events. This is an insurance issue. You buddy should not have even been let onto the track in the first place. I am amazed they let him out. CCA rules are clear on this.

If you would like I can put you in touch with BMW CCA driving events commitee.They can dicuss this further with you.

Yes I am serious if BMW CCA does NOT allow the Elise into their schools I will NOT purchase my Elise. I am 100% serious about this. I am purchasing this car for track days and if I can't take it on the track with my favorite group of friends that I have been doing these events for the past 12 years than I don't need this car. After all the track is where this car should feel at home.
I am almost certain that they will allow the Elise at all CCA events as long as the car has the optional hardtop.

Spoke with PCA. I would have to join PCA and own a Porsche in order for them to allow me to take the Elise onto the track. No option for me since I donot own a Porsche.

BMW CCA is on of the nicest and most liberal of all the big three( Ferrari,Porsche, BMW ). They will let just about anything run at their events as long as it;s NOT a convertible. I have run with them for years and have had nothing but good times.

Hans why you are still around on this list is beyond the beyond??You are NOT even getting an Elise. Why don't you just go to your Porsche Boxter list or S2000 list or Ducati Troy Bayliess list and enjoy life. Stop annoying folks that are buying or currently have Elise's.

Happy Trails,
Mitch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
ekological said:
Gary posted a reply from the GVC meeting saying that it would be allowed so long as it had a hardtop. :clap:

Thanks for that. Hey where is Gary's post?? I need to see it for my own eyes.

I was 100% sure that CCA would allow the Elise with the hardtop since the car is a Targa and NOT a convertible. Hey my old 92 Vette was a Targa and all the CCA chapters allowed it as long as it had the top on.

Thanks again,
Mitch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
hermanslotus said:
Yes I am serious if BMW CCA does NOT allow the Elise into their schools I will NOT purchase my Elise. I am 100% serious about this. I am purchasing this car for track days and if I can't take it on the track with my favorite group of friends that I have been doing these events for 12 years than I don;t want this car. After all the track is where this car should feel at home.
I am almost certain that they will allow the Elise at all CCA events as long as the car has the optional hardtop.
This was my sentiment exactly. People were saying, "Why don't you run with ____ club?" I have found that the BMW CCA has consistently run the most organized schools out there. Not to mention that I have a lot of friends who run with the BMW club since I've had an M3 since Dec '98. So it looks like I'll have to get a hardtop, but on the other hand...with all these posts of pictures of actual cars and colors (remember, I ordered the car sight unseen), I'm kinda gravitating towards something other than nightfall blue. Lazer blue is real nice but now that the car is $1000 more and it's no longer offered....ugh. I would lean towards chrome orange, red or yellow. There have been a few times where I was almost pushed off the road because the SUV or pickup driver didn't notice I was there :huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
ekological said:
This was my sentiment exactly. People were saying, "Why don't you run with ____ club?" I have found that the BMW CCA has consistently run the most organized schools out there. Not to mention that I have a lot of friends who run with the BMW club since I've had an M3 since Dec '98. So it looks like I'll have to get a hardtop, but on the other hand...with all these posts of pictures of actual cars and colors (remember, I ordered the car sight unseen), I'm kinda gravitating towards something other than nightfall blue. Lazer blue is real nice but now that the car is $1000 more and it's no longer offered....ugh. I would lean towards chrome orange, red or yellow. There have been a few times where I was almost pushed off the road because the SUV or pickup driver didn't notice I was there :huh:
Yes I know BMW CCA runs the best schools around. My Chapter, NJ Chapter has been running drivers schools in the USA longer than any other Chapter or car club in the USA. They have been running driver schools since 1970. No other club can say that!!!!!!

Best Wishes,
Mitch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
ekological said:
Lazer blue is real nice but now that the car is $1000 more and it's no longer offered....ugh.
Since when? Did I miss something? Oh well, if so, it can only make my decision easier (fewer choices).

What other clubs have you run with besides the 'CCA? They are one of my least favorite groups to run with... they're fun when you're a beginner but they are just way to conservative to keep being fun as you get faster and get addicted to more and more track time. They even frown upon driving on r-comps, even Toyo's.

I wonder if the next debate we'll be having after this all gets sorted out is whether LSS is kosher with the 'CCA! :rolleyes:

- John
'95 M3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
suv_bait said:
Since when? Did I miss something? Oh well, if so, it can only make my decision easier (fewer choices).

What other clubs have you run with besides the 'CCA? They are one of my least favorite groups to run with... they're fun when you're a beginner but they are just way to conservative to keep being fun as you get faster and get addicted to more and more track time. They even frown upon driving on r-comps, even Toyo's.

I wonder if the next debate we'll be having after this all gets sorted out is whether LSS is kosher with the 'CCA! :rolleyes:

- John
'95 M3
Lazer Blue was originally going to be discontinued. Not sure this still holds. It was a $1,200 lifestyle paint option.

BMW CCA conservative?? I have run with them all of my driving school life. I started in the beginners run group and now I run in the instructors run group. As long as your a good mannered driver you move up the ladder and eventually run with the instructors and they are by no means conservative!!!!

Best Wishes,
Mitch
#15 HRM Lazer Blue on order
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Richard 350z said:
All the tracks in SoCal allow convertibles with factory rollover protection, like Boxsters, S2000s, Z4s, etc. I'm talking Willow Springs, Buttonwillow and Spring Mtn. (northwest Nevada).
Spring Mountain? I live in Reno (Northwest Nevada), where is Spring Mountain? Is it in Southwest Nevada?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
LeftyS7 said:
Spring Mountain? I live in Reno (Northwest Nevada), where is Spring Mountain? Is it in Southwest Nevada?
Pahrump, NV, about 1 hour north of Las Vegas.

It is an awesome track, but it takes FOREVER to get there.

For you, it's probably only 4-5 hours. From the Bay Area, it's more like 10-12.

If you can make it to an event there, you are all but guaranteed all the track time you can handle. I don't think I have ever seen more than 25 cars at an event, and it's usually much less than that.

- John
 
41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top