The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the post title says, I'm thinking about trading my 2007 911 Carrera S Coupe MT for an Elise. I'd be happy to hear any perspective or advice you guys could offer. I can't deny the allure of the Elise, but I don't have any real experience with one, or Lotus for that matter.

First of all, wouldn't be a daily drive for me. It would be a weekend and occasional track day car. I'm 32 years old, 6'0" tall and athletic build. I assume I'd fit in it? Comfort really isn't the highest priority for me. Neither is having the faster car by the numbers (0-60, etc). I'm here for the driving experience. I know the car is light on creature comforts, but I've never been in one, so how can I really say how I would feel about it? That being said, I'm also into motorcycles, so I have some experience forgoing comfort. I love how connected you feel on a bike, and how immersive the ride can be. If you translate those experience to a car, I imagine an Elise would fit that bill, correct? I love the look the of Lotus as well.

I do like that the 911 is somewhat practical. I know my wife is comfortable riding in it. I'm not sure how'd she feel in an Elise. When I decided to get the 911 I also liked the idea of the back seats, figuring we could put our dog in the back and maybe future children. The reality is, we have a large dog and he can barely fit in the back, I don't know if I'd really want to put kids in the back. We also take her car on longer trips because she doesn't know how to drive stick, so we both can drive, and I don't care about racking up miles on her car. The most I've really ever carried in the 911 was either a back pack or a duffel back with some supplies for a track day.

I'm also a little worried about the bore scoring hysteria the 997 gen 911's are experiencing right now. Some 911's experience bore scoring due to the Likasil cylinder plating not holding up well. I imagine the Toyota sourced drive train would most likely hold up better and be cheaper to fix than the Porsche engine.

Response are appreciated. I tried the search function but didn't find anything.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If possible, I would highly recommend that you test drive an Elise before committing. These are incredible cars, but admittedly not to everyone's taste. Comfort, extra space, amenities are not what Lotus is known for, and your passion may not be shared be others, such as family members. I am not trying to dissuade you, I used to own a 911 Turbo for nine years and after owning an Exige now, it has ruined all other cars for me. Good luck in your pursuit.

·
Premium Member
2008 Lotus Elise SC and 2007 Porsche GT3
854 Posts
I agree with the above. I think you will love the Elise for what you will use it for. I also owned a Carrera S 997.2. I bought my Elise while I still owned the Porsche. A year later I noticed that I stopped using the Porsche and caught myself using the Elise way more than the Porsche. The Elise did ruined my experience in driving the Porsche. After driving the Elise, the Porsche felt heavy and huge. I also own a motorcycle and the comfort part is not an issue to me. I bought my car from another state without seeing it or driving it. I never drove an Elise until I finally receive mine. I haven’t looked back!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If possible, I would highly recommend that you test drive an Elise before committing. These are incredible cars, but admittedly not to everyone's taste. Comfort, extra space, amenities are not what Lotus is known for, and your passion may not be shared be others, such as family members. I am not trying to dissuade you, I used to own a 911 Turbo for nine years and after owning an Exige now, it has ruined all other cars for me. Good luck in your pursuit.
I appreciate honest feedback. Buying a new car isn’t like trying out a new pair of shoes. Its a big commitment. I’m going to test drive one next week. Obviously, they’re just not all over the place waiting for someone to test drive them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I appreciate honest feedback. Buying a new car isn’t like trying out a new pair of shoes. Its a big commitment. I’m going to test drive one next week. Obviously, they’re just not all over the place waiting for someone to test drive them.
Great! Keep us posted as to your impressions, and any followup questions you may have.

·
Less is Better
2,704 Posts
My write up from when I first bought my Elise after having owned a Porsche for several years.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
I 've never been a Porsche guy, so I say 'Go for it'
Caveats, as noted above, it is far less every day driver than a 911. I mean, I drive mine every day, but it is very tight space wise, it is a whole 'thing' getting in and out, which a 911 isn't .

Where are you located? I am sure there is someone around who will take you for a spin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My write up from when I first bought my Elise after having owned a Porsche for several years.

Thanks for linking that. How do you feel about the Elise now that you’ve had it for a while?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I 've never been a Porsche guy, so I say 'Go for it'
Caveats, as noted above, it is far less every day driver than a 911. I mean, I drive mine every day, but it is very tight space wise, it is a whole 'thing' getting in and out, which a 911 isn't .

Where are you located? I am sure there is someone around who will take you for a spin
I’ve noticed the difficulty getting in and out is a common theme, but I’m still young enough so I’m not concerned about that.

I’m in South Jersey, Egg Harbor Twp. If there is anyone around would be willing for me to check out there car I’d greatly appreciate it.

·
Less is Better
2,704 Posts
Thanks for linking that. How do you feel about the Elise now that you’ve had it for a while?
@Donny312, I only love it more as time goes on. I've made some changes to the car like a faster steering rack, a bit more mid range power through a tune, and a very nice set of coil overs and it's only enhanced the feeling of confidence and control that I have in the machine. I've tightened and insulated a few things to deal with some of the normal rattles and squeaks. It is so connected and interactive. I can't imagine ever getting tired of it like I did with the Porsche.

Don't worry about ingress and egress. My dad is 71 and he rolls out just fine :)

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
... and after owning an Exige now, it has ruined all other cars for me.
This is like I'd say it myself. Every other car feels like a big heavy sedan after buying my Lotus.

San

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I’ve noticed the difficulty getting in and out is a common theme, but I’m still young enough so I’m not concerned about that.

I’m in South Jersey, Egg Harbor Twp. If there is anyone around would be willing for me to check out there car I’d greatly appreciate it.
I'm in Morris county and have a heavily modified Exige. I’m willing to give you a test drive if you’re willing to drive up.

·
7,594 Posts
I'm in Morris county and have a heavily modified Exige. I’m willing to give you a test drive if you’re willing to drive up.
You should take him up on his offer. Seriously.

San

·
Registered
256 Posts
Since I was a kid I always wanted a 911. Went on a rental exotic car tour with 10 cars where 1 was an Exige and another was a 911 turbo. After that I bought an elise. Unfortunately I had to sell it but it was amazing. The 911 didn't leave an impression.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I might have to take you up on that. I’ll send you a PM.

You guys are giving me some pretty compelling arguments in favor of Lotus. I get there’s probably a little bias, due to this being a Lotus forum, but I can’t say I’m not excited about the idea.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am a new Elise owner. I also have a 718 Cayman GTS, and owned a 944 Turbo for 23 years. I'm on the wrong side of 50 years old and I can get in and out of the Elise easily, but it does take a special technique. I am 6 feet tall and 205 pounds and fit easily. The Elise interior is spartan even though I have the premium pack, touring pack, track pack and sport pack. Compared to the Cayman (which should be similar to your 911) the Elise is louder, rides more stiffly, and is less luxurious. I like driving both the Elise and the Cayman, but they are two entirely different cars.
I guess I am lazy because I am keeping my 2008 Miata ( I was going to sell it) because the top goes down in a 3 seconds, while taking the hardtop off the Elise looks to require tools.
Your wife will not likely enjoy riding in the Elise, unless she likes attention.

My Elise is not a daily driver, more like three times a week to the gym (the Cayman gets the other two days) and fun weekend driving.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I might have to take you up on that. I’ll send you a PM.

You guys are giving me some pretty compelling arguments in favor of Lotus. I get there’s probably a little bias, due to this being a Lotus forum, but I can’t say I’m not excited about the idea.
Here is a non-bias advice (that forum members won’t like to read): get an Elise/Exige only if you plan tracking the car as part of owning it. I could not get used to the daily impracticality of my Elise and let it go. Whatever you decide, have fun.

·
Registered
2005 Elise
109 Posts
Here is a non-bias advice (that forum members won’t like to read): get an Elise/Exige only if you plan tracking the car as part of owning it. I could not get used to the daily impracticality of my Elise and let it go. Whatever you decide, have fun.
While I agree that the elise is not for everyone, I would also say that you do not have to track it to get enjoyment out of it. I have had mine for a little over a year and 8k miles, with 0 miles on track. I love it! It is not my daily but it is exciting to drive every time I get behind the wheel. I would like to get the elise on track at some point but I have my actual race car for that.

·
7,594 Posts
I completely disagree. I usually drive my Exige in the canyons, but it's fun everywhere. I have never tracked my Exige. I don't consider it a daily driver, but I have other toys for that. Pick the right tool for the job.

OP, don't drive an Elise/Exige unless you're going to buy one. It will spoil you for anything else. Seriously.

San

·
Less is Better
2,704 Posts
I'm not sure about the non-bias part, but it certainly is an opinion. However, I've owned mine for 8 years, never had it on a track, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I have, however, been on the track with other cars and carts and had fun every time and I'm sure the Elise is a riot on the track as much as it is on the road.

Keep in mind, though, that the Elise was originally conceived by Lotus to be used on the road. Kind of a four wheeled motorcycle. Originally, they didn't even want it to have doors.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts