The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself buying and selling cars and not finding the right one.
Any of you like this never happy after purchase?
I sold the Panoz roadster few months ago and should have purchased the Evora but instead purchased a 2001 Honda S2000 nice car but i miss the sound and look of real sports car.
Went to New Hope Car show and looked around the Evora just seemed to always catch my eye and wonder if any one knows of rental of Evora in NJ /Philly area.
The Panoz was one special car but the wind in your face after 2 yrs was getting old and my arm Had to be out on door to block some wind to even drive it.
The Honda S2000 is really a nice car but after I park it and come back to it ,it just seems to plain sitting there.
I think Corvettes are a good purchase but just to many out there !
I would be buying a used Evora and wonder now that it has been out for few yrs what those who own a 2010 or 2011 say about owning these cars and if any major problems on these earlier year Evora's.
Thank You Joe

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Lots of little niggles like failing door latches but no major problems.

I love this car. You need to take a test drive and decide for yourself if the driving experience overcomes your boredom and niggle annoyance.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I go through a lot of cars. I am trying out the Evora now. I have owned Z's Porsches Vettes etc. 17 vehicles in the last 14 years. I have come to the conclusion that I am just using them for a bit then moving on. I think I may keep the Evora, but check back with me in a year or so and see if I still own it.

One thing I do find, is this is the only car I have owned that I don't turn the radio on in. I love the sound and feel (and attention) of the Evora over about any other car I have owned, which is a lot since I started driving in 78.

Edit: I should state I bought a 2010, so far very happy but I have only put a couple hundred miles on it so far. Had to change out the battery but thats it so far.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've only had my Evora for a few months, but like others have said, it's been mostly small things (still covered under warranty) that I've had to take care of. I'm 6'1" and it's an incredibly comfortable car and it handles like no other. The fact that the engine and transmission are sourced from Toyota is a huge plus for me. It should run forever.

I considered a bunch of different cars before landing on the Evora. A Corvette was one option, but like you, I felt there were just too many out there. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Find one of the 2011 "Chinese" Evoras if there are still any left. They are essentially new with 2 year warranty and priced really well. Mine's one and I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I looked at every car $100k and under new or used. I preferred new, used a Gallardo hands down used 2006+ would have been my choice otherwise.

The only 2 "cool" cars that compared was the new stingray and cayman s. Cayman S nice, boring looking but performs as good as the evora S but cant fit kids in the back and it looks lame.

Corvette...Awesome! except for the color yellow. Blows the doors off the evora S in acceleration but doesn't handle near as good but the power makes up for the handling big time. Its slightly cheaper than Evora S, only 2 seats. You do feel like your driving a VERY powerful car in the new vette, you wont get that feel in the Evora S.

The Evora has the Cool factor by leaps and bounds, more exotic 4 seats (yes the back seats are tiny but can fit 2 small kids or a bent over adult sorta squished if they sit behind the passenger seat.

Evora should have been given a turbo, figure it out Lotus, every other manufacturer does and you have in the past! or should have put a larger supercharger on it. The IPS is buggy but i still wouldn't have gone stick, some of the little latches and the craftsmanship isn't Japanese quality its British, Brits don't make things well.

So over all, for $75k-ish for an S model you cant buy a cooler performing car and can always go NA for $60k. There is a lot of difference in power even though the stats dont seem to drastic.

·
Closet Petrolhead
99 Posts
My Evora is in the shop right now for what is currently a mystery problem with the Alpine head unit. It's a 2011, coming to the end of its warranty, and thank goodness for that warranty, because I wouldn't want to mess with this issue out of warranty (so make sure if you do buy an Evora, it's still got at least a little warranty left, run it for a couple months, get it in to fix any little thing).

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,469 Posts
I've only had my Evora for a few months, but like others have said, it's been mostly small things (still covered under warranty) that I've had to take care of. I'm 6'1" and it's an incredibly comfortable car and it handles like no other. The fact that the engine and transmission are sourced from Toyota is a huge plus for me. It should run forever.

I considered a bunch of different cars before landing on the Evora. A Corvette was one option, but like you, I felt there were just too many out there. Good luck with your search.
Yes me too!

Additionally, ...I loved the 2011 and love the 2012 even more (IPS and interior upgrades). When the '11 got hit and I was up for another car (had that one 14 mos.) all I could think about was another Evora. Both my wife and I seem to always take the long way home just to keep driving longer (and to be on the nice twisty foothill roads). When I go into the garage with intention to drive my Saab to work, I end up driving the Evora. I only drive my DD Saab convertible when it rains now. Yes the convertible only sees rainy days! See.....it's kinda great to drive.

And, get a loaded one. Everything but the folding mirror switch ;-)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Had it for a year and it's amazing. The exclusivity alone is incredible. Valets at the best restaurants crowd it and take pics with it - the 458s and Gallardos are a dime a dozen where I live, but the Evora draws crowds. Drives like a dream.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Same here, where I live new Lambos, Ferraris, Bentley Coupes, etc., are a dime a dozen (blame S. CA's car centric culture). However, Evoras are about as common as Enzo's, F40's, and/or P1's. Lately, you actually run a better chance of seeing a P1, because everyone that has one is out showing it off as they've just gotten it within the last few months.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I read about the problems, recalls, failures, etc., and they seem to be much more common in Evoras after 2010 for some reason. Rarely note problems in that year (there is one guy on this forum who has had his share of real problems, but he's the only one I recall). I've got a very low mileage NA 2010, no problems, no problems, nada. Love it, don't worry about it. Only work done was to replace worn seals on the AC pump.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I've had mine since the beginning of June. I'm putting way more miles on it than I thought I would. It's awesome in every way and it has been 100% reliable and I've had no issues.

You need to get used to the attention though. Today a guy driving his pickup literally crawled out the window to his waist to wave and mouth WOW!!

If you're serious, test drive one there's a few used ones for sale around Philly. Be careful though, it'll suck you in;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Joe, I have owned my Evora for 2 years now, and although it has been back to the dealer for several smalls issues like the drivers door handle not opening and other small items The car mechanically has been rock solid. I do get a lot of attention like last night I went. To the local promenade, and when IO walked up to the Lotus, I see 2 guys who were photographing them selves in front of it. I said "do you like it"? To one guy, he was gaga when I let him get his picture taken while he sat in the drivers seat. Lots of fun!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it seems like most of you do not have major problems and are happy you bought the Evora..
I guess my next few questions would be is how many have bought used vs new and did you test drive any amount of miles before purchasing or just think this is the car and purchase with small test drive?????
I guess most say small items for repairing but does these small repairs lead into big dollars or lengthy times waiting for parts???
Thank You all for your time ..
Going to sell few of my cars and trucks to purchase a used Evora..Joe

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I always buy used any more. Just make sure you get a warranty. I was loosing too much money buying new cars and getting rid of them every couple of years. So far battery and I went ahead and put new tires because of the age of the stock ones that were still on it. Since there is no spare make sure you have very good tires on your car.

I test drove the car 3 times and probably put close to 100 miles on it, but when I saw it on the lot I knew it was going to be mine if I could work a decent deal.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Oh but if you are planning on keeping the car many years past it being paid off I would go ahead and buy new. I love the red stitching they are putting on the seats these days. I like most automatics but this car I had to get a standard. In my Porsches I love the PDK but I did prefer the standards in these.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mak, I understand why somebody wouldn't want to insure their 250K in jewelry. It would mean that you need to declare it in detail to the insurance company which would create a paper trail of its existence and location (your home). it's not a perfect world and somebody who is not supposed to have access to those files might end up with them.

fun fact: in most places of Asia, the words Evora and Ebola are interchangeable.

·
Illegal Alien
5,352 Posts
....fun fact: in most places of Asia, the words Evora and Ebola are interchangeable.
maybe why the Chinese rejected all those cars, they didn't have health certificates.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.