The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have the LSS and I was wondering if these are good enough on the track so I can lower my lap times significantly? Well, at least 1sec/lap on a 2min course.

Anyone with first hand experience?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Im not sure how much they lower your lap times, Im not good enough yet to tell a difference. I can tell you that they get rid of the majority of the body roll though.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Removing body roll for most people increases confidence in the car. Too bad there isn't a decent rear sway bar for the car yet. Has anyone noticed a reduction in body roll when adding in a roll cage.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Too bad there isn't a decent rear sway bar for the car yet. Has anyone noticed a reduction in body roll when adding in a roll cage.
:huh:
1. There is no rear sway bar.
2. Roll cage doesn't reduce body roll, if anything, it adds weight up top and would increase it.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The long answer is that different dampers and springs don't automatically make the car faster. If adjusted well they can lower the best time possible in the car, but it's still up to the driver to take advantage of the small extra capacity, or not, as his skill level permits. And if they aren't adjusted well they can increase lap times.

xtn

·
Registered
337 Posts
Over last winter I added:

- Ohlins 46mm DA
- Quaife LSD
- Hoosiers

along with some other bits and bobs

So far this year I've found that collection has cut from 3 to 5 seconds off my times - and I'm still playing around with shock settings etc. It's obviously difficult to separate the benefit of each of the three primary mods - different tracks highlight the benefit of different aspects ..... and to some extent the mods work well together ..... and (hopefully) I improve as a driver etc. etc. So considering in isolation is tricky :shrug: But, my 2c is that at least 1 second and probably more like 2 seconds from the shocks alone. About an equal amount from the Hoosiers and the balance from the Quaife.

One other thing: for me doing DE events (like you at Instructor level) alongside the improvements in laptimes there is at least as much satisfaction from the difference the suspension made to the way the car handled and controlled its weight transfer - no more the sloppy, falling over feeling!

Go for it :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

- Ohlins 46mm DA
- Quaife LSD
- Hoosiers

So far this year I've found that collection has cut from 3 to 5 seconds off my times - and I'm still playing around with shock settings etc. It's obviously difficult to separate the benefit of each of the three primary mods - different tracks highlight the benefit of different aspects ..... and to some extent the mods work well together ..... and (hopefully) I improve as a driver etc. etc. So considering in isolation is tricky :shrug: But, my 2c is that at least 1 second and probably more like 2 seconds from the shocks alone. About an equal amount from the Hoosiers and the balance from the Quaife.

One other thing: for me doing DE events (like you at Instructor level) alongside the improvements in laptimes there is at least as much satisfaction from the difference the suspension made to the way the car handled and controlled its weight transfer - no more the sloppy, falling over feeling!

Thanks for the input. I feel like the Hoosier made be the biggest improvement in your set up. However, one thing that I would appreciate for sure is a more composed ride. Better turn in and less body roll. Along with lower cg and decreased drag.

But still, I am thinking someone out there probably has a before/after with those shocks on an otherwise similar set up... :shrug:

·
Registered
389 Posts
no more the sloppy, falling over feeling!
Must have made quite a difference if stock felt "sloppy and falling over" by comparison. Not sure I've heard anyone describe the stock setup that way before.

I must be driving way below the limits of the stock setup 'cuz it feels very settled to me. My lap times are not the best, but data shows I am reaching over 1 g in the corners, so you would think I would notice things like the excessive body roll and oversteer that folks talk about.

:shrug:

·
Registered
389 Posts

- Ohlins 46mm DA
- Quaife LSD
- Hoosiers

hey chrisp993: What is your level of driving experience? I still consider myself a novice compared to anyone who has actually competed (I just have 19 HPDE days under my belt). Also, are those the Lotus Sport Ohins you are referring to?

Cheers,
LP

·
Registered
337 Posts
LP

I have a couple of hundred track days under my belt - mostly instructing / running events ..... lots of time on track and so laptimes are generally pretty decent ;) Data shows cornering peaks at 1.5g :up:

Sloppy and falling over may be a bit harsh - it was the Track Pack suspension, but even so, I thought (for the track) the roll was excessive. The most annoying issue is that with the supercharger and a tight corner it was way too easy to spin up the inside rear wheel on power - hence the suspension upgrade and the limited slip. Much better now! I understand that Lotus like to set the car up with soft springs - and it probably works like a dream for fast road driving, but for the track I prefer a much "flatter" feel.

The Ohlins are the 46mm Double Adjustables sold by Plans Motorsport in the UK - they are a significant upgrade from the 36mm version sold in the US, but also more expensive - at current x-rates they are a bit under $5,000 :panic: A few people on the Board here have them fitted - do a search for Ohlins + 46mm. Plans sell both Nitron and Ohlins and their main business is building up and maintaining track / race cars, specializing in the Elise so can offer good perspective on both systems and what will suit someone, spring rates etc. And they were good to work with, very helpful.

·
Registered
389 Posts
LP

I have a couple of hundred track days under my belt - mostly instructing / running events ..... lots of time on track and so laptimes are generally pretty decent ;) Data shows cornering peaks at 1.5g :up:

Sloppy and falling over may be a bit harsh - it was the Track Pack suspension, but even so, I thought (for the track) the roll was excessive. The most annoying issue is that with the supercharger and a tight corner it was way too easy to spin up the inside rear wheel on power - hence the suspension upgrade and the limited slip. Much better now! I understand that Lotus like to set the car up with soft springs - and it probably works like a dream for fast road driving, but for the track I prefer a much "flatter" feel.

The Ohlins are the 46mm Double Adjustables sold by Plans Motorsport in the UK - they are a significant upgrade from the 36mm version sold in the US, but also more expensive - at current x-rates they are a bit under $5,000 :panic: A few people on the Board here have them fitted - do a search for Ohlins + 46mm. Plans sell both Nitron and Ohlins and their main business is building up and maintaining track / race cars, specializing in the Elise so can offer good perspective on both systems and what will suit someone, spring rates etc. And they were good to work with, very helpful.

Thanks! That info is very helpful.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thanks! That info is very helpful.

Just like Chapman, I am an advocate of "handling horsepower." Wininig at club racing, just like pro racing, basically boils down to who has the best handling car within their respective class. This isn't a closely held secret; just observe what drivers/teams run in PCA and BMW CR or Koni Challenge, Rolex GT, and ALMS GT2.

As written on the Monkey thread, if you are serious you get serious shocks such as at least triple adjustable JRZ, Moton, Penske (or the 46 mm DA Ohlins). Not only does Plans sell the 46 mm DA Ohlins, we do to -- they come right out of NASCAR country. ;) See the video on the shaker rig? :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts