The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recent post on tires for the Esprit got me thinking about increasing the overall size of the wheels on my 03, maybe plus one inch larger diameter front and rear.

I have some concerns though...

1) what effect if any will it have on handling
2) how off will the odometer read and is there a way to compensate for the difference (I believe my odo is already fast by about 10%... At least against my GPS)
3) I heard that it could mess up the transaxle, is this correct?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

David

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
If you increase the size of the wheel by an inch, then you decrease the height of the sidewall by .5 inch to keep the same overall diameter.

No issue with odometers and transaxles then.

You'll notice the change in handling if you are a serious race car driver, but then I would expect you to have a set of racing slicks on some super lightweight wheels if that were the case. Other than that, you might notice a little harsher ride but that will depend greatly on what spec tire you get for your new wheels. It might even be a less harsh ride compared to your existing setup.

19" tires are not ideal from a cost perspective. They are a lot more in general than 18" or 20" tires because the tire manufacturers decided that's a good group to gouge.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,455 Posts
I always run the smallest wheels that will accomodate the biggest rotors (BBK) and tires I expect to use. Increasing the wheel size also increases the amount of rotational weight furthest from center, which is a bad thing. You also usually have a smaller amount of tire choices. I hate performance cars with large diameter wheels and tires that aren't needed.

San

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far good advice. Thanks.

I like the fuller wheel look. I haven't had it on the track and when I do it will be more of a casual experience than hard core. Also not too concerned with harshness of ride but like you said overall could be a push. Going with a lower profile tire could be the bigger issue because of Chicago city road conditions.

So would it hurt the transaxle if the overall size was plus an inch? I'm unclear on this.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The wheel and tire need to be a matched set, ie if you change the wheel diameter and/or width then the tire will need to change to match the wheel.
You can get tire width and outside diameter info from the tire sites. Typically 2 or 3 tire sizes will fit a wheel size.

The choice is to stick with stock measurements in which case when you go to a 19" wheel you go to a lower profile tire with the same dimensions, or you can try to figure out how large a tire fits. The V8 isn't maxed out, but you can't go too much larger without tire rub.

The size of the wheel has little to do with transaxle stress. The bigger wheels can weigh more as has been mentioned.

The other issue is that the Lotus uses a rare hub pattern, so wheels are at best semi-custom. Offsets are also critical

I am not aware of anyone in the US that stocks Lotus ready wheels.

Randy

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Just get an adapter to fit aftermarket wheels. Going custom doesn't make sense.

There's a lot of room for adapters in the Esprit.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know if I make a change

1 - 8 of 8 Posts