The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've got my eye on the Elise and would like some input from you guys.

My previous cars: 1997 BMW M3, 2000 Audi S4, Current is a 2007 Audi S4 Avant.

I picked up the S4 Avant (wagon) about 2 months ago because I wanted a mix of sport and functionality. I am an avid whitewater kayaker and skier and I wanted a car that I could put my toys on but was still fun to drive.

I dropped a kayak on the car the other day and put a little scratch on her and it really pissed me off. After I cooled down I got to thinking that maybe the car is too nice to be going with me on such journeys. Maybe I should dump the Audi and buy a used Tacoma for my kayaking and skiing trips (and winter driving) and get a used Elise for a daily driver in nice weather.

My S4 is one of only 72 manual avants that Audi made for the US market in 2007 and I am guessing I could get around $45K for her. It's a great car. Fast, but rather bland.

Do any of you guys use the Elise as your primary car? If so how long have you done so?

And so this does not become anohter DD thread let me ask this specific question:
Anyone else made the jump from the Audi/BMW world to Lotus? How is it on the other side?

What do you think of my plan?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ton of info in those threads from guys making that jump. My two previous cars before buying an Elise were a E46 BMW and then a CLK Benz. The Elise is very spartan compared with either of those. It's very spartan compared to the Z4 my wife drives or the Boxster she had before that. It's spartan compared to the Esprit S4s I had. It does make a better daily driver than the CJ5 with the V8 and 35" tires I rebuilt a few years back. I guess it's about on par with the Wrangler I drove in college as far as creature comforts and ride during the Interstate commute. So, there you have it. The Elise ranks somewhere between a lifted '76 Jeep CJ5 and a BMW as far as a daily driver goes.

I never intended to make my Elise a DD, but I find myself driving it every chance I get. :D

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
My previous cars: 1997 BMW M3, 2000 Audi S4, Current is a 2007 Audi S4 Avant.
You like luxury cars.

Maybe I should dump the Audi and buy a used Tacoma for my kayaking and skiing trips (and winter driving) and get a used Elise for a daily driver in nice weather.
That sounds like a start...

My S4 is one of only 72 manual avants that Audi made for the US market in 2007 and I am guessing I could get around $45K for her. It's a great car. Fast, but rather bland.
Yes it is a Bland wagon when compared to the Elise, but I think it would be a better DD based on your other cars.

The Elise is a Street Legal Go Kart, not much else, if you look at it that way you will not be disappointed in getting one.

As a Kid... did you ever want to drive a go kart on the street and not get in trouble? If yes then the Elise might be for you..

Do any of you guys use the Elise as your primary car? If so how long have you done so?
Yes and no, I use it during the Summer months in New York, but I also use some of the other cars I own.

Could I use it as my summer DD... 100% YES for me... others may feel different.

And so this does not become anohter DD thread let me ask this specific question:
Anyone else made the jump from the Audi/BMW world to Lotus? How is it on the other side?
I am sure there are a few people who have made the jump... From Audi.BWM world to Lotus. maybe look over some of the threads RacyTracy Posted.

What do you think of my plan?
Any plan involving getting a Lotus is a good plan in my book..:up:

·
Registered
244 Posts
:bow: Sorry.

:D I saw a lot of those. I was looking for individual input from you guys based on where I am coming from and your experiences with the Elise. Anyone else mae the jump from the Audi/BMW/ world to Lotus.? How is it on the other side?
I've got most of your bases covered. My daily driver is an Audi A4 2.8Q, I have a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab for my toys, my wife has a loadedToyota Sienna that I drive more than her, and I have an Elise for reasons you are now discovering. Frankly, I'm glad I have them all.

The A4 is my daily driver and I honestly appreciate this car MORE now that I own an Elise. It's not better, just different. If you want to cruise at high speed, nothing beats a German car. If you want to drive, nothing beats the Elise.

The build quality of the Audi (and BMWs, etc.) is far superior to anything else I own. The Audi makes a solid 'thunk' when you shut the door, the Elise has a hollow rattle. The Audi is very comfortable, the Elise hurts my back. The Audi is whisper quite, the Elise is... NOT. When I got my first Audi I was shocked at how easy it was to cruise at a high speed, you don't feel a thing. With the Elise you feel everything and then some.

That being said, I LOVE my Elise. It is the most fun car I've ever owned. Every night I check the weather forecast to see if it's 'Lotus weather'. It's like I'm 16 again, looking for any excuse I can to run to the store so I can go for a spin. I find myself wandering out to the garage just to look at the Elise. In the first week of owning my Elise I had at least a half dozen people stop and ask about it, comment on it, gawk at it or take a picture. In the 10 years I've been driving Audis that has happened a grand total of zero times.

My advice to you would be find a way to have both. I'd trade your new Avant and pick up a 4-year old S4/A4 or something and get the Elise as well. I'd keep the Audi for lousy weather, days you need to cart passengers or simply want a more relaxing drive. Get the Elise to get your blood moving. The Audi will seem unbelievably lethargic by comparison, even the S4.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got most of your bases covered. My daily driver is an Audi A4 2.8Q, I have a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab for my toys, my wife has a loadedToyota Sienna that I drive more than her, and I have an Elise for reasons you are now discovering. Frankly, I'm glad I have them all.

The A4 is my daily driver and I honestly appreciate this car MORE now that I own an Elise. It's not better, just different. If you want to cruise at high speed, nothing beats a German car. If you want to drive, nothing beats the Elise.

The build quality of the Audi (and BMWs, etc.) is far superior to anything else I own. The Audi makes a solid 'thunk' when you shut the door, the Elise has a hollow rattle. The Audi is very comfortable, the Elise hurts my back. The Audi is whisper quite, the Elise is... NOT. When I got my first Audi I was shocked at how easy it was to cruise at a high speed, you don't feel a thing. With the Elise you feel everything and then some.

That being said, I LOVE my Elise. It is the most fun car I've ever owned. Every night I check the weather forecast to see if it's 'Lotus weather'. It's like I'm 16 again, looking for any excuse I can to run to the store so I can go for a spin. I find myself wandering out to the garage just to look at the Elise. In the first week of owning my Elise I had at least a half dozen people stop and ask about it, comment on it, gawk at it or take a picture. In the 10 years I've been driving Audis that has happened a grand total of zero times.

My advice to you would be find a way to have both. I'd trade your new Avant and pick up an 4-year old S4/A4 or something and get the Elise as well. I'd keep the Audi for lousy weather, days you need to cart passengers or simply want a more relaxing drive. Get the Elise to get your blood moving. The Audi will seem unbelievably lethargic by comparison, even the S4.

Good luck, I hope this helps.
Just what I was looking for. Great post. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
My usual reply. If you even have to ask the car is not for you. Trust me!

·
Registered
343 Posts
You plan sounds good to me.

I used to own a 2005 Audi S4, and a 2003 M3. I now have a 2008 M3 sedan and will soon buy a used Elise.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
My usual reply. If you even have to ask the car is not for you. Trust me!
I agree! This car has to be something that you really want, its not practical at all, carries very little unless your up for strapping things to the back lid or roof and don't mind scratching the bodywork up - which can be expensive to fix.

General opinion is that the AC is not great, its not comfortable to get in and out of, most SUV or even regular car drivers will not see you next to them. There are strange rattles the car makes and depending on the tires you have it will go through them pretty fast.

Take one for a test drive. I saw several on the road before and after my test drive but after the test drive I already knew this is the car for me.

I LOVE MINE! :nanner2: :coolnana: :nanner:
no regrets here!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts