The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a rev400 boe built exige, thinking of moving from Portland, OR to boulder and was wondering what emissions were like. I saw a thread here from many years ago, anything changed since then? My car does have a dmc sportcat and does pass Oregon smog(obd only). Not sure if it'd pass a sniffer.

How strict are these tests?

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,372 Posts

If you have a cat or one you can put on for testing you should pass, and if the OBD is showing everything ready. I passed this past year with my ‘07 Exige and the Torque300 tune from BOE. Mine was OBD only, not sure when or if they will hook up my car to the sniffer.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! That's encouraging to hear. I figured CO probably wouldn't be stricter than Portland, but it never hurts to check. Last resort I could ship the ECU off to Phil for a return to stock-like settings, but that whole process is super inconvenient so I'd rather avoid it if possible.

·
Registered
719 Posts
A little over a year ago someone with a BOE tune said that they had trouble with Colorado emissions. It seems like you should check the readiness monitors and OBD funcitonality before going in, else there's the possibility for greater scrutiny.

@namoom, whatever happened in the end? does your solution with two ECUs still work?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, no idea how I missed that... wouldn't another ECU have a different VIN? Wonder if @namoom had BOE reprogram the VIN as well. I'll need to check my ECU - it's def not throwing any codes, but I'm not sure if any of the fields are missing. Wonder what the best way to check that would be, since my obd reader shows all green.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow, no idea how I missed that... wouldn't another ECU have a different VIN? Wonder if @namoom had BOE reprogram the VIN as well. I'll need to check my ECU - it's def not throwing any codes, but I'm not sure if any of the fields are missing. Wonder what the best way to check that would be, since my obd reader shows all green.
DO NOT go to emissions with the BOE tune as it is!!!!! Aircare will put you through special scrutiny and you'll be really screwed (ask me how i know...)
The steps I'm recommending are going to keep you out of suspicion or having to go through the in-depth scrutiny at a special center.

I had a BOE built engine with significant modifications which prevented me from using any stock maps.
I recommend buying a second ECU and sending it to BOE. The tune should reflect the proper VIN and have ALL emissions systems enabled (they disable the CAT reporting, shows N/A and 1 or 2 other systems) but be a tune built to work with the REV400. Do not drive on this tune any longer than you need to for the all the systems to show "ready" - any $7 ODB reader can tell you what each emissions system is reporting

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DO NOT go to emissions with the BOE tune as it is!!!!! Aircare will put you through special scrutiny and you'll be really screwed (ask me how i know...)
The steps I'm recommending are going to keep you out of suspicion or having to go through the in-depth scrutiny at a special center.

I had a BOE built engine with significant modifications which prevented me from using any stock maps.
I recommend buying a second ECU and sending it to BOE. The tune should reflect the proper VIN and have ALL emissions systems enabled (they disable the CAT reporting, shows N/A and 1 or 2 other systems) but be a tune built to work with the REV400. Do not drive on this tune any longer than you need to for the all the systems to show "ready" - any $7 ODB reader can tell you what each emissions system is reporting
Thanks for that info! Sheesh, those are quite the hoops to jump through. My car's in the shop right now(actually for a BOE tune), but will check what my obd reader says when it comes back. Guessing you had to pay BOE the $1k to tune the second ECU for you?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think it cost me $150-$250 for that tune- just had to ship them the ECU

1 - 8 of 8 Posts