The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Thinking of purchasing an Evora and had a few questions.

3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  brightoncorgi 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I recently rented a base IPS Evora and absolutely fell in love with the car. I'm currently in the market for a weekend car and the Evora totally fits the bill for me.

My budget is really closer to the $40K mark at the moment which likely means I would be looking at base model Evoras.

I have (3) big questions on my end.

I honestly feel like the power range of the Evora S is really the jump to make the base Evora a bit more exciting (not that it isn't already awesome to begin with). Is supercharging the base Evora remotely feasible for around $8-$10K? It's not something I would do immediately in ownership, but something I would like the potential to do down the road.

Likewise, I really love the exhaust sound of the Evora 400. Is it possible to have the base Evora sound somewhat similar with an aftermarket system? Not expecting apples to apples, just something a bit more on the aggressive said than the base Evora (which isn't bad by any means).

When I do purchase an Evora I plan on it being my "fun" car for a fairly long time (like 10ish years at least). I had an old C5 Corvette at one point in my life that had lots of electrical gremlins, but the nice thing is that parts were always available and it was fairly easy to service. I've read some horror stories of certain parts not being available for the 400's and I assume they are on the harder side to work on. So I was just curious what serviceability was like with these. The good news is that as a weekend car small things probably wouldn't bug me as much as they would on a daily driver. With a used car I'm always worried about it turning into a money pit once I start discovering its problems.

Of course I could very well just hold off until I can afford a 400 or an Evora S but the $60K-$80K range that those models are fetching at the moment is just too high for me.

Appreciate all thoughts and feedback!

See less See more
#3 ·
These cars are not hard to work on if you have lots of tools, a lift and some experience. But a lot of disassembly is required so everything takes a long time. I sounds like you really want a 400 which should be attainable at or close to your price point if you keep looking. Wire Wheel sports cars have sold a few rebuilt 400s so that might be another way to get closer to your budget.

#4 ·
Ss are now not much above your budget, so supercharging a base one will cost a lot more than buying an S. The extra power of the S is nice but for most back road driving the base model has plenty of power. The extra umph of the S is really only off the line. The S has other enhancements so it would be worth saving another $10k and get a nice S. And there’s always that bit where in a few years you may regret not having “the better one”.

As for the sound, add a plack and it will get close sound wise to a 400. The only issue is you can’t turn it off so it can be annoying on long journeys. Not much of an issue if it’s purely a weekend car but if you want to use it more that may be an issue.

#8 ·
I would do as others suggested, save up a bit longer and get the car you really want.

$40k for a base evora then $10k for A supercharger... bring it really close to just getting a 400, I saw a 400 last week for sale for $62k asking price. i Have been saving up for a while so I can afford one....

when I look for evora’s for sale (which seems to be a daily occurrence) I visit

cars.com
autotrader
oodle
dupontregistry

#11 ·
I would do as others suggested, save up a bit longer and get the car you really want.

$40k for a base evora then $10k for A supercharger... bring it really close to just getting a 400, I saw a 400 last week for sale for $62k asking price. i Have been saving up for a while so I can afford one....

when I look for evora’s for sale (which seems to be a daily occurrence) I visit

cars.com
autotrader
oodle
dupontregistry
I would add Autotempest.com to this list. It will allow you to do a nationwide search on Craigslist.
Good luck with the search! Be patient as it might take some time but wait for the car that truly speaks to you. I almost pulled the trigger a couple of times but was glad I waited for the right one.

#12 ·
With a simple intake and exhaust, you can get an NA car in the 300HP zone. Having had both, on the street, the difference is negligible. At the track, it makes a bit more difference. You see a sweet deal, buy it! Handling wise, they are 99% the same. I believe it only has ~17000 miles!!

#13 ·
Not sure of your location, but my 2010 is at Ridgefield BMW in CT. Asking 40990. I bet in this economy you can walk away with it for 33-35K. It has Larini exhaust and Radium CAI so it is close to that 300HP. It was a launch edition fully loaded car in Persian Blue FYI.

Reactions: brightoncorgi
#15 ·
YUP!

#16 ·
I have a 2014 Evora NA Laser Blue with Suede-Tex interior. I installed a BOE CAI, Decat pipe, and Larini exhaust. I notice a big difference in throttle response. Haven't done the ECU time and not sure if I will. I upgraded the fluid to my IPS and noticed an improvement in shifting. Yes, a "S" has more power but when am I ever at full throttle.

#19 ·
Watch out for CHIPS! Guess you folks are going a bit stir crazy on the highways!!

#23 ·
BOE intake and down pipe really make a difference with throttle and excitement. Intake can be a little too loud on LHD cars with the window down.

If you can wait towards the end of this year. I expect to see deals on every car more than usual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.