The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm thinking of putting 205/40R17 for the front wheels and 235/40R17 for the rear on my 2005 Exige, any feedback?
anyone using such a similar staggered setup?

front and rear rims 7J, offset come standard at ET40. will need to put 13mm spacers front and 8mm spacers rear... It sucks as there aint a big choice of rims avail in Singapore suitable for the Lotus.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
What's your reasoning for wanting 17/17?

Is it just a matter of style, or are you expecting performance increases?

I swear there's a thread here somewhere about increased performance by going to 15/15.

If you try it, lets us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If doing it for style then there's not much to comment on, do what makes you happy.

If you want performance you should be looking for 15/16" options or 15 all around. I would think the only reason to keep the stock 16/17 ratio would be if you don't have (or don't want) to spend the cash to go smaller rims or you've upgraded your brakes and can't fit any smaller rims. (well, the only other reason to stay with original sizes would be for tires size issues associated with smaller rims. If you can't get appropriate tires for your purpose, then it doesn't make sense to go smaller. but i certainly wouldn't go bigger for the purpose of tires because there seem to be some fair tire options for the 15/16 and 16/17 cars.

I more or less regret having not bought smaller rims for my car when i replaced my original tire set.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Looks - whatever floats your boat... :bow:
Performance - :shrug: and I personally would not use spacers.

Also, just wondering if you should even be running narrower rear wheels but with wider tires (standard rears are 7.5" with 225 tires).

As for new set of wheels, doesn't take a lot of effort to order them from outside Singapore. Been there, done that. :)

Let us know how it goes though!

·
Registered
157 Posts
You may want to search this forum for info on the "stagger" needed in order for the Lotus Traction Control to function properly. The LSS Yoko A008R's have Front diameter of 23.7 and rear 24.9 so stagger is 1.2 dif. I've read on this forum that there is a range that you need to stay in so the TC doesn't kick in. In otherwords, you can't run the the same size front and rear. Do your research first.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Does any one know why Lotus went with these sizes.
Tire selection would be a lot better if Lotus had gone with a different wheel and tire combo.

While looking for tires for my car I found that the
Nitto NT-01 205/40-17 is close to the same dia as the Yokohama 195/50-16
and
Nitto NT-01 225/40-17 is close to the same dia as the Yokohama 225/45-17
so would the cars set up be the same :shrug:
These tires are only $160.00 each

1 - 14 of 14 Posts