The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I didnt know where to post this so I thought I would so here, my fav community on the net. Like the title states, im thinking of starting a web-based business. My question is pretty simple, does anyone know how much traffic a webpage would need in order to safely and consistently make about 4 grand in adsense money every month? I have been searching quite a bit and havent been able to find anything helpfull. Thanks in advanced guys.

·
Registered
379 Posts
depends on what type of ads, and if they need to be clicked on.

$4,000 a month is a lot from advertising income. Your would need to be well known, and most likely have a following of people who visit it everyday.

Also, the more you clutter up your site with ads, the more people get pissed and go somewhere else. If I were you, I would go ad-free until the traffic builds up. And don't choose annoying ads even though they will pay the best.

I am assuming its a lotus based website?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
that's between one and two million impressions per month... before expenses.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea of how much traffic, give or take, would be required to get that ammount of impressions? site isnt a lotus site, or a car site for that matter. I think elisetalk has lotus pretty much covered ;)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
As a small business person, my normal suggestion is that you should "jump in with both feet".

However, I've built and marketed websites before (see http://staroftexasinn.com/ ) for our B&B. I also have 5 years experience with web products that process credit cards, perform email marketing and integrate with things like Facebook. (I worked at Convio, if that means anything to you.)

Knowing nothing about web marketing and advertising like you want to do, my approach would be incremental. Build it and start marketing it more as a hobby and less like a $4000 per month business.

Doing this affords you several things:

1) Long investment horizon - back out anytime to cut your losses. You can avoid high dollar infrastructure costs up front. Start of renting space on a shared server (if possible). Later on, you can rent a dedicated server. When you hit the jackpot, you hire a company to manage your cluster.
2) Evaluate your traffic over time, and judge your advertising opportunities gradually. For example, spend $10 at Fark.com this month and see what happens. If it is promising, spend more next month. Nothing is more tedious than analyzing the effectiveness of ad placement. Doing this for a very busy website can be difficult to do right. But if you grow a site less ambitiously, you can learn as you go.

Be sure to leverage the rest of the web, too. Make sure your sponsors are hosting their own ads. Need a payment processor for online transactions? Go to Paypal (or similar). Spam works, I am sad to say. Be careful if you decide to do email marketing, though. Many shady operations are involved with it and scams are common (and heavily under reported). Learn how Facebook and Myspace APIs work, who they are available to, and determine if they can help you.

Again, I'm ignorant of what it is, exactly, you're aiming for. If I thought I had a good idea, I might give it a year's worth of development before going gung ho.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts