The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a pretty stellar example of a 2005 Lotus Elise. 43,xxx miles, minor modifications, never tracked, tons of upgrades and I'm the 2nd owner. I love my car. It makes me happy to drive it. And its my first "exotic" sports car. I got a reasonable deal on it about 3 years ago. Its been fully restored/refurbished, and needs nothing ( A Black Shadow Motors Refurb).

The dilemma I'm in is that I'm very curious about the Evora GT. On Paper, it is everything I'd probably ever need in a car. Its reliable, moderately priced and looks great. I've never driven one. And, Motorcars Of Atlanta gets them regularly. The other dilemma is... If I get rid of this Elise, I'm likely never to come across another one in such great condition and for the price that I paid for it. I know that this bubble for used cars will come to an end someday soon. Should I cash in on this market and go for the better car? Should I keep the Elise and wait another 10 years and have an amazing car that I can really cash out on? The one thing in the back of my mind is the car is aging and parts for it are pricey and I'm likely to come across a few gremlins here and there. Should I keep it if I have the room and get the Evora too?

I also love the Vipers. AHHHHHH!

All in all.... I feel like the Elise is a collectors item. It will gain value and become harder to find.

The Evora GT seems awesome, is a little pricey but would probably be exciting to own.

I also understand that these are not real problems. Thanks for your ear...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go for the better car??? Different, not better. It just depends on the driving dynamic you are looking for.
Now, after reading your response, I do agree. Its not a better car, its different. And also after posting this, I've read another post that is very similar but they are wanting the Emira.. which for some reason, doesn't excite me as much as the Evora GT.. Not sure why.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would agree, different, not better. If I was in a position to have both that's what I'd do. I will say I really enjoy the livability of the Evora. It's my summer daily driver, take it on trips, to the grocery store, everything!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would agree, different, not better. If I was in a position to have both that's what I'd do. I will say I really enjoy the livability of the Evora. It's my summer daily driver, take it on trips, to the grocery store, everything!
Thank you for your comment. Are you a GT or a 400 owner? And, what did you come from before the Evora?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Now, after reading your response, I do agree. Its not a better car, its different. And also after posting this, I've read another post that is very similar but they are wanting the Emira.. which for some reason, doesn't excite me as much as the Evora GT.. Not sure why.
I feel similar to you. I Would love to add an Evora or Emira to compliment the Elise. I dont think I Could ever sell the Elise to make it happen. The driving dynamic just cannot be replicated and I would instantly Regret selling it for that reason.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thank you for your comment. Are you a GT or a 400 owner? And, what did you come from before the Evora?
The Evora is a 2013 S. I came from a twin turbo 300zx. Still have it and don't plan to part with it. I'm kind of at my max (3 total cars) and live in an apartment 😁. The Z is really practical as well, huge hatch area but only 2 seats. Next car would likely be something more impractical, looking at Nobles or a Rossion, but that's a way down the road.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If I didn't have my supercharged Elise and my Alfa 4C, I'd probably have the Elise and an Evora GT (or Emira once the hype has died down). The GT is a pretty exciting car.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Definitely different relationships. I'd say, for a car purchase, they both will hold their value well for a car... Both financial value and emotional value. I'd try to have at least an overlap of owning both to see which wins, if either. They're not wives or girlfriends afterall.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'05 Lotus Elise Outlaw
163 Posts
As a supercharged++ Elise owner, while I love the sound & speed of a v6, one can't easily peel the roof off that Evora :)

·
Registered
The Blue Meanie - 2006 Polar Blue Elise & Bernice - 2010 Chilli Red Mini Cooper S
1,423 Posts
Me too with my Elise. Just doesn’t hold many groceries……😜

·
Registered
The Blue Meanie - 2006 Polar Blue Elise & Bernice - 2010 Chilli Red Mini Cooper S
1,423 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Reactions: StressCraxx

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not an exact comparison per say, but I had a C5 Corvette that I absolutely loved and put a lot of money into with mods to make it all that it could be.

I eventually bought myself a C7 Grandsport and was able to hold onto the C5 Corvette for a few months before selling it.

While I still loved a lot of things about the C5, the C7 brought a lot to the table that the C5 didn't (the technology was much more enjoyable to interact with, the car had less unwanted noises, it felt far more capable despite not being modded to hell like my C5 was).

Needless to say, despite having the C5 in my driveway I couldn't help but drive the C7 whenever I could and I didn't miss the C5 when it was eventually sold.

Now granted these are two cars that are direct descendants and the Evora and Elise comparison is not quite as linear. But I think my point is...if you feel like you are tiring of the Elise the Evora might bring a lot of different/new things to the table to enjoy and you might not miss your Elise as much as you'd think. I know in my experience between the two, the Elise is its own unique experience that is hard to replicate, but the Evora is impressive because it's 90% of that Elise experience packaged in a way that is far more accessible. You may find that the Evora experience is a really nice change of pace in comparison.

Not sure if this helps at all! But figured I would throw it out there!

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you haven't driven the Evora, go drive one. I owned one for a year and was immediately not impressed. True, it was a 2010 NA with the "wrong" transmission; I probably would have been much more excited with a sports transmission and a super charger. But I sold it without regrets. It depends a LOT on what excites you. Raw straight road power? Looks? Curve carving? The Evora is much more comfortable than the Elise, but it and the Emira will never match the Elise's maneuverability, because the latter cars weigh so much more. If you can have both, you should do that. I agree that the Evora is a great daily driver. I only drive the Elise on sunny summer days when I can find a twisty road with few cars on it.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,518 Posts
Yes, go drive a GT! You'll know. Drive a viper if you can.
The GT is far different than the S1s.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had my 05 Elise for 6 years, 30k+ miles.....and now have an Evora GT. Put 5K on it last summer and the only thing i miss about the Elise at this point is the removable roof. The Evora just does everything well, for what I need. Mine is just a hard driven backroad car and I hope to do some more destination road driving this summer. I took the Elise as far as I could without going full Rev400. Had full suspension, Rev200 tune, wheels....normal stuff. But the Evora GT is a well put together package, while still being very Lotus. I love that I can come back from a day of driving and not have my back hurt for days.....it's the small things lol. I love mine so far and being able to toss the kids in back was what really pushed me to part with the Elise. If I had the room, it would have stayed, but I don't.

Reactions: Crazy05
1 - 20 of 28 Posts