The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been using my Canon S2 for quite a while now, and I've been happy with it. I think I'm ready for an upgrade. While the camera I have now takes nice pictures, it's SUPER noisy, even at ISO 50, plus the auto focus is a bit slow. Even with those shortcomings it's still a great camera, 12X zoom, 36-432mm focal length, image stabilization, 2.5fps burst, etc.

I've been eying Pentax cameras, they look really NICE. :drool: The one I'm interested in is the K10D. It has a number of outstanding features, it has nice looks, plus it's not a bad rice either.

The only downside is that while pentax has a big line-up of lenses, it doesn't seem to have many super telephoto lenses, and the ones they do have are about $1000:eek:. Sigma has a few nice super telephotos in Pentax mount, but they're aren't much cheaper than pentax's lenses. The price wouldn't bother me as much if I were making money from my photos, but this is purely a hobby of mine. After you've used a camera with a 36-432mm lens it kind of spoils you.

I'm still on the fence if I should upgrade to an SLR or just keep on using my Canon S2, which is a great camera.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Umm...There are uses for both type of lenses. I'd suggest visiting some camera forums and review websites such as dpreview.com

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Umm...There are uses for both type of lenses. I'd suggest visiting some camera forums and review websites such as dpreview.com
I know that, it's just that I'd like to have a "do-it-all" lens like the Nikon 18-200mm VR. Though Nikon doesn't really interest me.

Q

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome to 2004!

Get a Rebel Xti body (abour $500 or less) and don't look back. Or if you have the dough, the Canon 40D.

There is a new Xsi out (so the Xti's should be cheaper)

http://www.dealio.com/Canon-EOS-Digital-Rebel-XTi---Digital-camera---SLR---10.1-Mpix---Canon-EF-S-18-55mm-lens---optical-zoom-3-x---supported-memory-CF-Microdrive---black/pr3847799/search-canon+xti+body/

You can use some of your same lenses...
A friend of mine let me use his XTi, I didn't like how it felt. It was too light, and plasticy for my liking. I prefer a camera with a bit more heft, not a camera that'll blow away in a wind. It has good image quality, I just don't like the way it feels. Maybe if I put a batterygrip on it, it might feel better.

Besides the 20D and D70, Nikon and Canon don't really interest me.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have an older 20D, maybe 2 years old, and I really like it. Thats the "house" I use the most. I have some other Canons as well but I seem to always pick the 20D. Tons of Canon and aftermarket lenses available to.

You can pick the 20D's up real cheap today since its somewhat dated but still a great camera

Q

·
0 Posts
A friend of mine let me use his XTi, I didn't like how it felt. It was too light, and plasticy for my liking. I prefer a camera with a bit more heft, not a camera that'll blow away in a wind. It has good image quality, I just don't like the way it feels. Maybe if I put a batterygrip on it, it might feel better.

Besides the 20D and D70, Nikon and Canon don't really interest me.
Then checkout the new XSi... it supposedly "feels" better... according to the reviews.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And why is that?
I can't really say, they just don't fascinate me. If I had to give some reasons, here they are. Canon and Nikon entry-level DSLRs (400D, 450D, D40, D40X) are just too light and plasticy. I know most newbies like light cameras, I on the other hand would like something with a bit more weight, and maybe with a larger size. The Pentax K10D is a good size and it has a good amount of weight without being too heavy, and it has a really good price right now, about $700 and it should go down once the new model hits the stores. Even though the K10D has a low price, it has a lot of high end features, and it's a completive of many other high end cameras. The reasons why I don't want to get an entry-level camera is because I'd like something that's a bit more advanced and that I can grow on, but then again since this is just a hobby of mine I don't want to pay $1000+ just for one of the higher end Canons of Nikons. If I were making money off my photos it would be a whole nother story.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I liked the sony alpha series, but i know little about what makes cameras good, just liked the featureset and feel.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I can't really say, they just don't fascinate me. If I had to give some reasons, here they are. Canon and Nikon entry-level DSLRs (400D, 450D, D40, D40X)
Well... I sort of see what you mean.

My advice would be to go for used Nikon D80 + 18-200. This will give you good ergonomics, nice weighted feel, excellent IQ, great flexibility and definitely something to grow into. You will also be able to get some old but extremely nice and cheap glass. Everything you buy will also hold its value very well.

Pentax is just... yuck :)

Q

·
0 Posts
Yes... ixnay on the entaxpay... just not enough accessories and support for it in the long run.

Believe me, unless you are a pro, you'll never be able to fully maximize the features and benefits of the XSi, 40D, or the first 2 or 3 entry level Nikons.

Spend your money on good glass. That's where the results are going to show. Seriously... you can take a Canon 40D and the top of the line Canon and see no difference in the results with the same entry level lens...

And as far as aftermarket lenses... OEM first, Tamron tends to be the leader next, with Tokina and Sigma after it.

Here is your forum for lots of reviews, opinions, etc.

I spent A LOT of time here before purchasing my XTi. I was ready to get a Canon 40D at $1300 or so and the basic lens. These guys here ened up convincing me to get the XTi and spend the savings on some good lenses. Very sage advice.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well... I sort of see what you mean.

My advice would be to go for used Nikon D80 + 18-200. This will give you good ergonomics, nice weighted feel, excellent IQ, great flexibility and definitely something to grow into. You will also be able to get some old but extremely nice and cheap glass. Everything you buy will also hold its value very well.

Pentax is just... yuck :)

The D80 isn't a bad camera I may have to look into it, But the K10D has the same Image quality, plus it has a weather sealed body and In body image stabilization. What does the D80 have going for it?

What's so bad about Pentax? I think Pentax is a great company that's moving fast and getting a lot of innovative Cameras out after a very long slump. what's there not to like about Pentax? :confused:

edit: I was looking at some of the Pentax limited lenses, and they're NICE! I especially like this little prime. http://www.pentaxslr.com/lenses/lens_40

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
What does the D80 have going for it?
50 years of Nikon glass :) and the lens you want - 18-200. (correct me if i misunderstood you, but from the first post it really looks like you want flexibility, and nothing comes close to 18-200 as far as quality/flexibility compromises go).

As qball said, glass is where its all at. Body matters only that much.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Also with the D80 you get best flash algorithms available (imo) plus the ability to wirelessly manage multiple independent banks of flashes.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
50 years of Nikon glass :) and the lens you want - 18-200. (correct me if i misunderstood you, but from the first post it really looks like you want flexibility, and nothing comes close to 18-200 as far as quality/flexibility compromises go).

As qball said, glass is where its all at. Body matters only that much.

The 18-200mm VR does seem like a pretty cool lens, but I just hate how nikon and canon implement image stabilization through their lenses, instead of through the body. :thwack: Since pentax has body stabilization, all their lenses are image stabilized, and since they haven't really changed their lens mount, you have wide range of lenses you can use. Though While Pentax lenses are of very high quality, they cost a whole lot more than Nikon or Canon glass. :(

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes... ixnay on the entaxpay... just not enough accessories and support for it in the long run.

Believe me, unless you are a pro, you'll never be able to fully maximize the features and benefits of the XSi, 40D, or the first 2 or 3 entry level Nikons.

Spend your money on good glass. That's where the results are going to show. Seriously... you can take a Canon 40D and the top of the line Canon and see no difference in the results with the same entry level lens...

And as far as aftermarket lenses... OEM first, Tamron tends to be the leader next, with Tokina and Sigma after it.

Here is your forum for lots of reviews, opinions, etc.

I spent A LOT of time here before purchasing my XTi. I was ready to get a Canon 40D at $1300 or so and the basic lens. These guys here ened up convincing me to get the XTi and spend the savings on some good lenses. Very sage advice.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

The Rebel XTi doesn't have bad image quality at all, and a lot of people seem to love them, but I just can't get past their feel. I guess I also have to take into consideration that since this is mainly a hobby I shouldn't care too much if I don't have a top notch SLR.

Val said:
Eh, you are confusing me :) you say you want big size and super-zoom, then you give a link to tiny prime. A slow one to boot :shrug:
Sorry about that, I just thought it was a cool lens.

I think the 18-200mm VR Nikon lens would be a great lens to use, but I'd also like to get a 400mm lens. Would the image quality on the 18-200mm lens go down horribly if I used a 2x teleconverter on it? I know you shouldn't do that, but what other method is there to get a super telephoto lens of that focal length without paying an arm and a leg?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Sorry about that, I just thought it was a cool lens.

I think the 18-200mm VR Nikon lens would be a great lens to use, but I'd also like to get a 400mm lens. Would the image quality on the 18-200mm lens go down horribly if I used a 2x teleconverter on it? I know you shouldn't do that, but what other method is there to get a super telephoto lens of that focal length without paying an arm and a leg?
Cheapest way to reasonable 400mm is a used fast prime + 1.4 TC. Or 80-400 if you want zoom.

18-200 with 2x TC will be a f/11 lens with terrible IQ. You will need to stop it down further to improve IQ :rolleyes: you get the idea :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts