The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying an Evora or S as a daily driver so I have lots of questions? I thank all of you in advance for any guidance you can give me.
I currently drive a 2004 Maserati Coupe with 77,000 miles on it. Clearly the Evora is a different car. I plan to participate in Lotus Cup and track events as well. I live in NYC and commute to NJ daily. I thank all of you in advance for your impute and help.
1. Reliability and cost to operate as a DD?
2. Is the S worth the extra money over a well-equipped Evora? I understand that there are many after-market performance upgrades that can get over 300 hp out of the stock engine.
3. Exhaust note how many of you have upgraded the exhaust and at what cost?
4. I drive year round are many of you switching to winter tires are you sizing down or going with stock rims.?
5. How many off you track your cars?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I am thinking about buying an Evora or S as a daily driver so I have lots of questions? I thank all of you in advance for any guidance you can give me.
I currently drive a 2004 Maserati Coupe with 77,000 miles on it. Clearly the Evora is a different car. I plan to participate in Lotus Cup and track events as well. I live in NYC and commute to NJ daily. I thank all of you in advance for your impute and help.
2. Is the S worth the extra money over a well-equipped Evora? I understand that there are many after-market performance upgrades that can get over 300 hp out of the stock engine.
4. I drive year round are many of you switching to winter tires are you sizing down or going with stock rims.?
You might want to hold off until the whole business end of things get sorted out.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/lotus-cars-have-gone-bust-113834/

·
Registered
786 Posts
I wouldn't worry about Lotus going out of business.
1. Reliability and cost to operate shouldn't be any different than any other car.
2. I say get it if you've the money. But my NA isn't any less fun to drive without the extra 70hp. Many on this forum would say that upgrades are hard to find on an evora.
5. I have, at LOG.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A/C

I wouldn't worry about Lotus going out of business.
1. Reliability and cost to operate shouldn't be any different than any other car.
2. I say get it if you've the money. But my NA isn't any less fun to drive without the extra 70hp. Many on this forum would say that upgrades are hard to find on an evora.
5. I have, at LOG.
I see you live in Arizona how the a/c in the heat?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Don'T hold off! The car is worth it in every way and I'm sure Lotus will come through better then ever

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

I had a 2003 Maserati Coupe 6 spd man. I owned the car for 3+ years. I bought it with 14,000 miles, and sold it with 29,000. I have owned a Ferrari as well as the Coupe. I can tell you the Coupe was one of the worst cars that I have ever owned! Every visit to the dealer or independent was at least $500+. My clutch was replaced just before I sold the car @ 29,000 miles for $5,500. I sold the Coupe and lost a bunch of money, and bought a new 2010 Mini JCW for my every day car.
My 2011 Evora 2+0 is my second Lotus (I also have a 2005 Elise). I have owned the Evora since Oct. 2010. I have about 3,500 miles on the car now, it has been a very reliable car. I have had a few small problems, but nothing that bad. I would say, if you have a good dealer that is half the battle. Parts do take a long time when ordered from England. And some trim parts are just N/A. So you have to get creative (see my post about my Dead pedal and armrest update). Yes the Coupe had a very cool motor to look at and the sound with my modified exhaust was to die for. Would I have I have bought an S if it was available at the time I bought my car? In a word yes, especially at the reduced $ of the Evora now. However at this stage of my life a Toyota motor in a British car sounds good to me.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
There are several people here, including me, whose car has required a number of warranty repairs. My dealer is 3+ hours away, which is a hassle, but their service dept is very good to work with. You might want to consider how you would be affected by frequent trips to the dealer during the first months you own the car.

OTOH, I took my car to an event yesterday with a bunch of non-Lotus guys and they were all drooling.

Just put your priorities in order. :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Have now used the Evora for 1 year as DD, clocked 18,000km.

1) Other than some minor issues, very reliable. Most of the stuff was cosmetic or the usual recalls, the latter will be sorted if you buy a new one

2) You never can't have enough power, can you? The S is more torquey, but on a twisty B-road, the N/A is as quick as the S. different story on track or the Autobahn

4) Lotus recommends Yoko in 215 width front, 245 rear. I used 225 front and 255 standard sizes, Michelin Pilot Alpin 3. They are already small for the rim, would not want to go any smaller. Used the car also on snow and ice, tires are good, don't see the benefit of smaller ones.

5) Yes, did that once, already booked two more for this year, and did a snow & ice training. Brake pads are the weak spot, that's all, car behaves well :nanner: Just make sure you take the centre caps out, otherwise you will loose them, and they are >100.- for 4 new

Evora is a fun car and you will not regret. Although the Maserati is also cool, like the sound of the Fezza-derived engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you like fixing, changing, modifying a car? If not then just get the S version and save yourself the time and headaches.

I want to hop in and go with no down time So for me the S was an easy choice. A little more money spent but no hassle.

Used it as an every day driver for two weeks and had planned on driving it all summer but then the rain came and I put the car away. Can't wait to take it out again.

I have owned Porsche and Viper and this car is more fun to drive so go for it.

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
Do you like fixing, changing, modifying a car? If not then just get the S version and save yourself the time and headaches.

I want to hop in and go with no down time So for me the S was an easy choice. A little more money spent but no hassle.

Used it as an every day driver for two weeks and had planned on driving it all summer but then the rain came and I put the car away. Can't wait to take it out again.

I have owned Porsche and Viper and this car is more fun to drive so go for it.
Did you know that you can actually drive an Evora in the rain!! It is actually quite competent -poke-

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's my newest baby and she's just not ready yet.

High winds, hail, etc. here in the Midwest. Rain not a problem but hail and small tree branches falling in the office parking lot could be.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Did you know that you can actually drive an Evora in the rain!! It is actually quite competent -poke-
Evora is great in rain.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all

Now just need to negotiate a good price

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
That should be the easy part if you are willing to get an available 2100! If you're in Metro area, Valenti in CT has 3 available and more on the way. I will gladly stop by dealer if you're there to give an owners perspective and Valenti is all for this!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts