The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a Exige. What is the best swap I can do with or can I push the engine to at least make 500-600hp

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Why worry about power first? The Exige is not designed to be driven in a straight line for long. I'd say, buy one drive it and then plan the tweak-list.

I have a Exige S that I exclusively track and frequently swear I'll take it NA when I destroy the engine. I'll save on brake pads and probably won't be much slower, maybe faster.

See you at Sonoma Raceway ;)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
500hp would be equal to like 1200 hp normal car... My car makes 250whp and I am able to keep with my friends Gt350R and my other buddy's new Audi Rs3..

And it depends on what kind of 500hp you want. I think a turbo 500hp would require race car driver levels of talent to drive. The SC power of the 2zz is so linear, its actually pretty easy to drive at the track or on the street. I'm making 250 hp at fuel cut off and the torque is only 160 ft lbs... I couldn't imagine 500 hp at like 4000 rpm and 500 ft lbs of torque in a car this light...

Go on youtube and look up the Lotus guys chasing down GTRs and 911s with Rev400s or Rev-x conversions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input I just like crazy machines. I’ve been doing a lot of research and yea people get scared with 400+ I’ll sit in it for a bit before I would start modding it. It’s def going to be my next car just waiting on some things.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Are you needing to go straight up very often?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Are midengined cars good to drift? Seems like they might be tough to handle, especially with a short wheel base. Speaking as someone who has spun an Elise dozens of times. But I know basically nothing of drifting, other than a pickup truck on a dirt road or snow.

·
Acme Super Moderator The Enforcer
6,652 Posts
Sounds like you're looking at the wrong car. I'd suggest you do more research.

I have a GT-R, a Lotus Exige S, a V4S, an R1M, an S1000RR and a Tacoma 4X4 Sport. Pick the right tool for the job.

San

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
T
Are midengined cars good to drift? Seems like they might be tough to handle, especially with a short wheel base. Speaking as someone who has spun an Elise dozens of times. But I know basically nothing of drifting, other than a pickup truck on a dirt road or snow.
they aren’t great but doable. I like the challenge I know with these cars the weight would be a problem to shift them back around but I would just have to get used to it. My buddy drifts his rw lambo and also makes 1100hp makes it look easy but he’s been drifting longer than I have. If not then I would at least love the speed.. there are plenty of racers here

·
Registered
18 Posts
T

they aren’t great but doable. I like the challenge I know with these cars the weight would be a problem to shift them back around but I would just have to get used to it. My buddy drifts his rw lambo and also makes 1100hp makes it look easy but he’s been drifting longer than I have. If not then I would at least love the speed.. there are plenty of racers here
You could attempt to drift the Lotus, but I wouldn't advise it. The Lamborghini you mentioned earlier has a much longer wheelbase, so it's going to be a bit easier to control. The Elise/Exige has such a short wheelbase that it is prone to snap-oversteer, which is really difficult to counteract. It is also a very delicate piece of kit, so if you bin it even once, it will likely be the end of the car. My advice would be if you DO decide to attempt to turn one into a drift-missle, buy one with a salvage title. These cars are getting harder and harder to find with a clean title, so their prices are going up. Taking one to an event like that seems like an insane way to lose a lot of money and makes it harder for those of us in the market looking for a clean example. Just food for thought.

-Justin

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts