The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone with a deposit ready for the next batch of orders is concerned with how the dealer 'allocation' is going, and whether or not their dealer will be able to get them a car, maybe ever.... in the worse case scenario.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Prolene said:
I am wondering if anyone with a deposit ready for the next batch of orders is concerned with how the dealer 'allocation' is going, and whether or not their dealer will be able to get them a car, maybe ever.... in the worse case scenario.
I'm number 20 and I have delivery date in Dec (called by the dealer two weeks ago.) That puts me at the cusp of 3rd batch. At the projections of 6/month at Behlmans in St Louis I don't see why you'd have to wait 2 years!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Prolene said:
depends on your dealer's allocation

has gonzaba delivered any customer cars yet?

·
shay2nak
24,991 Posts
i'm #28, haven't ordered yet and my dealer tells me Dec. But I'm afraid that i won't get the car until Feb/March.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I'm #53 at PB Motorcars. Ryan says that February delivery would be optimistic, even though they expect to have one of the highest allocations considering their Esprit sales have been among the best.

If I don't get the car at all.... well... them's the breaks. Maybe I'll get lucky and get shifted over to the top of an Exige list ;) if that ever happens.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I purchased an '03 NSX and am loving it. Once 2006 rolls around, I will be ready for the Elise. All of those waiting for an Elise in 2006 would benefit from enjoying another car while they wait. The NSX amazing me more and more each day... I "almost" like it more than my 2000 EspritV8.... We'll see....

The UK autotrader classifieds have more than 200 Elises for sale used. By 2006 the used Elise market will start growing and prices will drop. I think it will be a good time to buy either new or used.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Yeah, I'm not incredibly happy with the way things have gone, but what are you going to do?

Had I thought it would come to this & shopped around for the shortest list instead of going to the closest dealer (who, incidently, is no longer the closest dealer now that they closed their L.A. store), I would have been in the first order group.

[broken record]
I got my ~#32 spot in Feb '03.
[/broken record]

After recent news from Lotus, I'm guessing that I won't see my car until end of Q1, beginning of Q2 '05. :p

oh well... that much closer to paying cash, I suppose.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It appears I don't have to be so pessimistic, since Gonzaba also just received their lovely demo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am #78 and expect my car in 2008......

joking

Prolene - Maybe you need to shop around to a different dealer inland more..... i'll bet you could get one in the midwest much faster...plus the fun of driving it up over the rockies back home. :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
msp282 said:
I am #78 and expect my car in 2008......

joking

Prolene - Maybe you need to shop around to a different dealer inland more..... i'll bet you could get one in the midwest much faster...plus the fun of driving it up over the rockies back home. :)
As long as it is possible to -get- the Elise from that dealership during this model's predicted production lifespan, I'll wait it out.

I figure they should get more than 36 Elises in the next 2.5 years or however long Lotus will build this Fed "exempted" Elise.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Next Batch?

Prolene:
I'm #29 on a Southern Califonia dealership, and had faxed in my order this past March. My dealer tells me that Lotus has my order, but no order, vin, or build date. This amounts to nothing in my opinion. I just heard that one of our colleagues on the same list also faxed in his order this past March, but was told that due to som error Lotus doesn't even have his order. I don't know if he's in a worse position or if there's anything difference between him and I.
Although I should point out that some other dealerships have stuck with their list in a very professional manner, this doesn't help me given the dealer I went with.
To answer your question, my assessment of the worst case scenario has already happened. Many customers on the list either having faxed in their order or not still have no ETA for the Elise. This is not optimistic news for those waiting to place their specs. My view has evolved in that "the list" only matters once the dealers run out of potential buyers willing to pay a huge premium.
As Randy mentioned, the best thing to do is to keep your eyes open. I'm optimistic in that cars will pop up be them mysterious gift cars from Lotus, or customers changing their minds due to lack of cup holders or whatever. Unless you're absolutely insistent upon purchasing a brand new, 0 miles on the odometer Elise, this next 6 months may be a good time to make a deal.
Just remember that you have the purchasing power, and know your own limits. I've already signed a non-refundable agreement to pay over MSRP, faxed in my order six months ago with no ETA in sight. The way I see it, the first Arctic Silver, Touring Package, Hard Top, Red Leather combination that pops up, I'm all over it. It'll just be a question of timing, and how much over MSRP I'm willing to pay.
- dechien

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Next Batch?

dechien said:
Prolene:
....My view has evolved in that "the list" only matters once the dealers run out of potential buyers willing to pay a huge premium. ....- dechien
Yes, that might translate to not being able to get the car as 'promised' at all, period, as all the allocation gets taken by those willing to pay such "hugh" premiums. I might pay a small premium 6 months to a year from now, but will not acccept a demo or preowned Elise.

Perhaps LOA can give me an idea what I might expect if I also put a deposit there at this late time in the game.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Prolene, i'm #38 at gonzaba so we should be in the same batch of orders. When is the last time you talked to george and why are they not getting cars as fast as other dealers? I seem to think we'll get our cars in feb. or march of 05' if things pick up the way everyone thinks they will. What specs are you ordering and when do you think we will put in our orders?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ulmpharmd said:
Prolene, i'm #38 at gonzaba so we should be in the same batch of orders. When is the last time you talked to george and why are they not getting cars as fast as other dealers? I seem to think we'll get our cars in feb. or march of 05' if things pick up the way everyone thinks they will. What specs are you ordering and when do you think we will put in our orders?
Let's keep in touch. Certainly if I am notified to give them specs, I'll let you know. I spoke with George a month ago or so. Seems all he could basically say was they 'should' be getting 6/month after things ramp up. He knew about the summer vacation workers get in Britain, and that Lotus would be doing its best to perhaps have them take half the usual time off, or other shifts, etc. He mentioned Chris was gone at LOA, and I said the 'mess' the dealers/Lotus are in now regaring allocation/questions/.... may have had some bearing on his being let go. He did not deny this, it seemed.

I am not actually saying things are a mess, but I was fishing for information.

Hardtop, LSS, Ardent but likely CO as I write this, and AC delete.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ordering Likely this Monday!

I received an email today that my final specs should be in as the order finally goes out Monday to Lotus. I am pleased!

I expect to get the car this Fall, I am estimating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts