The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
I shot him an email of support as well.

Considering most of us have had deposits for quite some time, I'm glad we got to hear about the "Details" before the average Joe Schmoe, even if it was by accident. I think my two plus year deposit has earned me that right.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
atyclb said:
the Omega doesn't come in the sizes that the LSS wheels come in though

:confused:
Not strange.

It's probably not even exactly this model, but a similar one made under an exclusive arrangement between Lotus and Rimstock.

This means you will not find the exact wheels (w.r.t size, offsets, PCD, etc.) outside the Lotus sales organisation.

For instance the OZ's used on the european LSS are also *not* available to the general public in the sizes and offsets used by Lotus. The Supertourismo wheels that the S2 LSS uses in europe are slightly different from the ones you find in the shops.

Such an 'exclusive arrangement' for wheels has always been the case with Elise wheels (wether S1, Exige, S2 etc. etc..)

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I was pretty shocked that a dealer was releasing info on the final specs.

I also wouldn't go so far as calling a salesman an enthusiast. They make a living selling cars so they need to get excited in order to do a good job (sell alot of cars). I do know some salesmen and dealer owners who are really enthusiasts, but that is not the rule. I haven't met Chris at Lotus of Atlanta, so I can't comment on him directly.

It was a poor choice on Chris' part, he should be held accountable.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
NOT Omega

The Sports Pack wheels are not Omega.

They are a 7-twin-spoke design, but are not the Omega. I don't see the wheels we're getting on the Rimstock site. Must be new?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI Meat,
I CAN comment on Chris, he is extremely enthusiastic about the car and marque and unlike many salesman actually knows about the product he sells. I've gotten to know him quite well over the past year or so.

By held accountable, would you suggest drawing and quartering, or simple firing squad? Pretty harsh, guy. ;)

With the exception of pricing, everything was pretty much known already, the info being out there a few days early will have absolutely no adverse impact on elise sales.

Chris

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Chris

Just as you didn't release any info that LUSA didn't want you to release about the Fed car, Chris shouldn't have either. In fact, Chris from LOA should be held to a higher standard since he is an employee of an agency of LUSA.

Was anything damaged by the "release" of info? I doubt it. But, it's the judgment that comes under question in situations like this.

By held accountable, I meant whatever, if any, disciplinary actions result there should be no argument about them. He screwed up - pretty simple if you ask me.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Its my understanding that he was not told that he couldnt release the information.

It was a mistake. A miscommunication.

I dont think he should "pay" for anything.

Chris has been VERY helpful to many many Elise buyers, if not for him I may not be buying a car at all. He also takes the time to post on the various message boards with info for the masses without soliciting for future customers. He is an attribute to Lotus.

·
Registered
670 Posts
meat said:
Chris

By held accountable, I meant whatever, if any, disciplinary actions result there should be no argument about them. He screwed up - pretty simple if you ask me.
I think the entire allotment of LOA cars should be pulled and redirected to my dealers, either Silver Star, or Steve Harris.

I mean after all fair is fair. :)

Steve

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I agree that Chris shouldn't have to deal with being punished for the info release...

There are tons of dealerships out there blatantly feeding false information to their customers and/or potential customers about the car... if anyone deserves to be punished, it's them.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Sown,
Just heard today, incredible as it may seem. Silver Star and Steve Harris are only getting cars up to BUT NOT INCLUDING your number for next year. Oh well, I bet you wanted an 06 anyway:p

meat,
as one fast said, he accidentally released the information, unaware that it wasn't supposed to be released. Although it seems a great many of the dealers are showing these kits to customers.

It's a moot point, as once LA hits everyone will forget the other stuff!!

Chris

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I MISSED THE PREVIOUS POSTS AND CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER. NE1 willing to send me a private e-mail with the info?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I dont think Chris should be punished, since it was an honest mistake. If he had purposely given out confidential infromation that had a release date in the future and was told not to by his bosses then its a differant story.

It appears to me like he was just trying to get info so that he could get his paperwork listing the orders done in advance. He was being proactive on behalf of his customers, so that their orders would be the first to go in. Nothing wrong with that.

Its not like he faxed over Arnies opening monlogue for the Auto Show introduction to Road and Track.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
May you find many tickets in your future.
That's a bit harsh :eek: :)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Arnies opening monologue-
I got nothing
It does seem (IMHO) we are in a strange middle ground where Lotus has not quite caught on to the internet and how things work now.

Do they really think they could send out this information to their dealers and not expect the customers to share it? My dealer had a lot of this information a month or more ago. Colors, options, etc. It takes a few hours and it spreads on the internet.

If they truly want to maintain secrecy until the official unveiling, I would think they can not send out information to the dealers until then also.

And if they did send it out, how was the dealer to know that it was priviledged information unless he was told? In fact, one could easily make the opposite arguement that the dealer would think it was public. They did release it to him.

Anyway... I think they need to change for the next time this happens. The ability for information to spread is only going to get faster and more prolific.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Randy,
They sent a SEPARATE cover letter to each dealer with the guide indicating not to release the info, problem with that is separate cover letters have a way of getting separated, which is what happened in this case.

Much better in my opinion, if they wanted it really secret, as you say, not to send it out until after the release date, or in bold letters on each page, not for release until x date>

Chris

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
So, now we are siding with the dealers because they can't read and remember what they read??

It's a bunch of crap and if I was LUSA I'd be pissed. They aren't spending a ton of money to "launch" the car in LA for nothing!!

It's a simple case of the dealers trying to "scoop" the other dealers, IMHO.

I've known lots of stuff about this car from Lotus sources (both in the US and the UK) for a long time and I haven't told a soul. I was never told not to tell anyone - it just isn't the right thing to do.

As was said above, the way to stop it is not to release any info until after the launch date. I bet LUSA will handle this differently in the future and then they will look like the bad guy for not "communicating with their customers".

·
Registered
296 Posts
meat said:
I've known lots of stuff about this car from Lotus sources (both in the US and the UK) for a long time and I haven't told a soul. I was never told not to tell anyone - it just isn't the right thing to do.
Using your logic...

Who told you info about the car? You are not an employee with credentials to have "priveleged" information. They should be punished for sharing it with you. The fact you weren't told not to tell anyone else makes them liable if you were to post it to the forum. The fact that you did not tell has no relevance, I would be no less pissed if someone shared a secret with other people that they knew would not make public but still spread it within a small group of people.

You can't hold Chris @ LOA responsible without the facts. I could almost guarantee you that the guide came in, someone read half of the cover sheet and started flipping pages then proceeded to throw away the cover letter and pass the brochure around the dealership.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
IMHO....

most of this is a tempest in a teapot. There will always be some leaks. I know some stuff I have been asked to not say anything. I even got some information directly from Lotus in England. I find it incredible that I can have access to that kind of support.

But we here on the internet are still a small group. Even a few hundred of us knowing this stuff a week before the show will not make a ripple of difference in the press splash.

The release and unveiling of the car will overshadow all of this. After the show (or during!) we will all start talking about specifics again. And there will be a million questions about options, bitching about price creep, gnashing of teeth about certain dealers, etc. We will all move into the next phase while we wait.

We bitch and moan.... because we can't drive. :)

After the show, the early release by Chris will not be the big of a deal. That is not defending an error, just a different perspective on the importance of the data being all that secure. This is not military secrets.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts