The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
POWERTEC RPA - 2.6-LITRE MACROBLOCK V8

The comprehensive test programme of the Powertec RPA is now complete and production of the first batch of 25 engines is under way.

Five days in the dyno cell, and several days on our rolling road in the SR8 chassis have proved the durability and reliability of both the engine and the Powertec Quaife transaxle.

All engines supplied with a sealed Powertec engine management system will be warranted. A copy of the conditions will be available shortly.

A full price list (ex-works, GBP), the dyno power curve and rolling road power curve are attached.__A specification sheet and full dimensional details of the engine can be downloaded from: http://www.powertecracing.com/v8_index.php

The initial batch of engines are only available fitted with counter-rotating balance shafts and dynoed.

Engines and transaxles are only available directly from the factory. A deposit of £5,000 is required with order, with the balance paid and cleared prior to despatch.

Please contact **** Hyde to discuss your requirements and pricing info.

Tel._ +44 (0) 1733 331616
Fax. +44 (0) 1733 264959

Email: ****@radicalsportscars.com

for

·
Registered
866 Posts
I wonder what the top speed would be with a 10,500 redline.

Either way that would be a monster, but I think a supercharger or turbo would be more economical, and of course there is the issue of customer support. :p

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Specs:

Powertec RPA 2.6 V8 - Specification

Engine
72° V8 cylinder, 32 valve quadcam
Steel flat-plane crankshaft
Twin counter-rotating balance shafts
Twin pump lubrication system
Four scavenge pump dry sump system
Rotary vane coolant pump
Pre-engage starter motor
Belt-driven 45amp alternator

Power: 360BHP
Maximum revs:
10,500rpm (2.6 Litre)
Bore: 81mm
Stroke:
63mm (2.6 Litre)
Compression ratio: 11.0:1

Dimensions
Length 546mm
Width 513mm
Height 440mm
Dry Weight: 92.6kg

Bellhousing/Clutch
Single plate dry clutch
Optional twin-plate dry clutch
Integral oil tank capacity: 9 litre
Integral rear engine mount
Engine-gearbox spacing: 126mm
Dry weight 13.7kg

Transaxle
Six-speed constant mesh
Sequential-shift; 1 forward, 5 back
Gear Ratios
1st 2.615
2nd 1.937
3rd 1.526
4th 1.285
5th 1.136
6th 1.043

Overall reduction ratio 3.400:1 to 5.670:1
Reverse gear ratio 3.000:1
Torque biased limited-slip differential
Integral oil cooling pump
Pressure fed lubrication system
Dry weight:36.3kg

Dimensions
Length 393mm
Width 300mm
Height 365mm
Dimensions From Mounting Face To Drive Shaft Centre 128mm
Dimensions From Front Of Engine To Drive Shaft Centre 800mm
Also 36.3kg = 80 pounds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 1500cc Radical SR3. Great and fun track car, however, the engine needs a rebuild every 25 to 30 hours. How often should the V8 be extracted from the car for rebuild?

AW

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
...the flip side of the coin hurts! you can get 1,000hp out of 1.5 liter inline 4's .....for about an hour if your lucky and 1/2 a million.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many hours?

I have known the people at Radical for quite a few years--and yes,I would buy a bridge from them. Deep down,they are a conservative company. They are not into building hand grenades for the purpose of selling magazines. The one thing that has always amazed me is there insistance on drivability and durability over pure speed. Were you folks aware that Radical put a "light pressure turbo " on one of their cars,drove over to the "Ring",set a new laprecord for street tired cars and drove ------not trailered,drove home. They do get a lot of positive press,and deserve it ALL. If you are not happy with your time between rebuilds,call them. Im sure that they will make it right. BTW,I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTING TO PRICE OUT YOUR REBUILDS---I betcha that they are cheaper than most of us are used to.Alas,I do not own one. Not yet,anyway.Cheers,Lwein

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, I'm still curious about how many hours can the V8 be used before a rebuild is necessary...

Hayabusa rebuilds are relatively cheap. $2K to $5K if everything needs to be changed. However, you need to add labor to extract and put back the engine. You also need to factor in the issue of having the car unusable while the engine is shipped to an engine builder. As a matter of fact I just got my radical back. It was out of comission for 2 months. I don't have any complaints for Radical. I bought the car knowing that fact.

I love the new V8, but I don't think it is realistic for a street car assuming similar rebuild frequencies.

AW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts