The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The video itself was probably a repost.

However, seeing this video makes me wonder if the same thing can happen to me in everyday driving.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YgXieZTHqq8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YgXieZTHqq8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you´re scared of it even before you even own one, then you shouldn´t buy one.

The fun and anticipation factors should be stronger than the fear factor.
It´s not the case for you as it seems.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The driver turned hard into the corner while cresting a hill at high revs... a recipe for losing the rear end.

You never want to have large steering inputs when driving over a "crest"...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still havent test driven a lotus yet, but this is just something i came across to and it just had me thinkin.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i would suggest looking at other sports cars on your list other than Lotus.

best wishes on your decision.

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
....makes me wonder if the same thing can happen to me in everyday driving.
If you are going to drive a car like this you have to understand it, know what it can do and can't do, be able to read the road, and be skilled enough to drive it (by practicing on the track). ...and even the best can run into the unexpected (there just aren't as many unexpected circumstances happening to an experienced driver as there are to an unexperienced one).

Lastly, there are hundreds of Lotus drivers on this forum (proabably logging 100,000's of miles) that have NOT had this happen to them. If you invest your money into a car like this make sure you invest some money into yourself as the driver.

- z

·
Registered
756 Posts
This guy turned while cresting, and it seems to me like he lifted off the throttle, since the engine is clearly slowing down as he crests. Both of these are very bad things to do in pretty much any car. I can't say for sure, but I would guess quite a few other cars would behave the same way in these conditions.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Mid engine cars, especially ones this light and with a short wheel base, are not easy to drive fast. thats why whenever there is a thread about 16/18 year old wanting one, we all see the above happening

Luckily there was no other car coming the other way, or pedestrians, or trees..... it could have ended much worse, and has to people we knew in this forum :(

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Whats cresting?

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
The road bumps/crests - goes up then drops quickly is what they mean, tires lose grip

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Whats cresting?
The road bumps/crests - goes up then drops quickly is what they mean, tires lose grip
+1

When you crest a hill, the car "wants" to continue to climb from momentum, but the road falls away, first at the front wheels (which lose some grip, tempting the inexperienced driver to compensate by turning them more), then at the back wheels (just as the front is regaining grip). Now you've got grip at the front, with extra steering input, and at the same time less grip at the back. Result: the front turns quickly, the back can't follow, and you spin. :eek:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
+1

When you crest a hill, the car "wants" to continue to climb from momentum, but the road falls away, first at the front wheels (which lose some grip, tempting the inexperienced driver to compensate by turning them more), then at the back wheels (just as the front is regaining grip). Now you've got grip at the front, with extra steering input, and at the same time less grip at the back. Result: the front turns quickly, the back can't follow, and you spin. :eek:
I knew that. I just wanted to make sure you did.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im not a bad driver at all. I am 100% confident in my abilitys. Of course no doubt , i wont push the car in the early times of ownership. Before pushing anycar you must first know how the car will react in a given circumstance and know how to react. To not take any of that into consideration and go full out is very foolish. I appreciate all of your replies

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
im not a bad driver at all. I am 100% confident in my abilitys. Of course no doubt , i wont push the car in the early times of ownership. Before pushing anycar you must first know how the car will react in a given circumstance and know how to react. To not take any of that into consideration and go full out is very foolish. I appreciate all of your replies
That's the exact same thing I said right before I totaled my first lotus 2 weeks after I bought it.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
That video is pretty wild, while I agree that he shouldn't lift and add in big steering inputs to the car I GOTTA believe he should have been able to feel what was about to happen before it was to late. I think these cars are pretty forgiving to be honest, due to the communication the car gives the driver.

Take a racing class man, that'll teach you how to feel the limits of your car. When you drive your car you are in a relationship, and what's the most important thing in a relationship...COMMUNICATION! Awhh, how cute. ;-D

1 - 20 of 76 Posts