The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had to abandon a burning car on the track I want to be able to get out fast.-eek-

It says that it took him 10 seconds to get out of the burning car. How much longer would it take if he also had to fumble with two more releases that he could not see? What if he was disoriented and tried to exit the car with the Isaac still attached?

Racer Hunter Abbott survives 100mph crash
By Adam Lusher
Last Updated: 1:31am GMT 24/03/2008

Hunter Abbott will be celebrating his own Easter miracle today.

The British GT4 Championship driver was 10 minutes into the first race of the season when he left the track at 100 miles per hour trying to negotiate The Cascades, an S-bend on the Oulton Park circuit in Cheshire.

In pictures: Hunter Abbott's 100mph crash
The crash happened in dry conditions, shortly after the start of the hour-long race, the first of the British GT Championship season.

Abbott had slowed down slightly from his top speed of about 160 miles per hour, but had other cars around him as he went into The Cascades. It is thought the Ginetta G50 and another competitor's Aston Martin collided at about 100 miles per hour, causing Abbott to spin off the track and hurtle into the crash barrier.

His Ginetta G50 smashed through a crash barrier, went airborne, thudded into the ground, rolled about three times, landed on its roof and burst into flames.

advertisement

Around 1,000 spectators watched in horror as Abbott, now upside down, struggled to free himself from the middle of the fireball for up to 10 seconds.

Then the driver walked out alive and well enough to assist the stewards in putting out the flames around his racing suit.

Drew Gibson, who took this sequence of photographs, admitted:

"As I saw his car rolling, I knew it was really bad and my heart sunk. "Then it burst into flames and I thought 'Oh God, I am watching my first death in motor sport.'

"When he walked out, I was amazed. The car was rolling for about five seconds, disintegrating all the way.

"I assumed he had been knocked unconscious - so there didn't seem any way he was going to get out of that car alive once it burst into flames. The sun was certainly shining on him today."

The race was temporarily halted as Abbott, in his mid-twenties, was helped into an ambulance. His car, thought to be brand new and worth more than £50,000, was destroyed.

In GT championship racing, drivers race in teams of two, changing places at a pit stop.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And the video:eek:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o5t_477Ak98&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o5t_477Ak98&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those marshalls are great:bow:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You have to reach up push a button and pull a pin on each side of the helmet.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
corner workers.:bow::bow::bow:
they never seem to get enough credit for what they do.
looks like they helped that guy out big time.
all of my instincts tell me to run from a fireball, not towards it.

edit post #3..............you beat me to it

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Wow! The photos are amazing! But then the video, man 10 seconds seems like an eternity just watching it, I couldn't imagine being in it. Good for him! Man that is one nasty tenacious fire too!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! The photos are amazing! But then the video, man 10 seconds seems like an eternity just watching it, I couldn't imagine being in it. Good for him! Man that is one nasty tenacious fire too!
You can see in the video that he is on fire when he finally gets out. It looks like it took him more than 10 seconds to get out:crazyeyes

Fire is scary stuff:(

I am glad he is ok:up::shift:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Point very well made Patrick, I agree!

Jerry

·
Registered
391 Posts
Wow scary stuff, glad to see he got out okay.

I counted about 16secs for him to get out, from when the car came to rest and caught fire.

Corner workers are great!

This reminds me of a really bad video I watched of a driver in a F355 crashing and catching fire (it was a track in Japan). The corner workers didn't do such a great job.

But these guys did a great job.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Thank god for corner workers and roll cages. Glad he is ok, Could have been way worse.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
there was a guy who came on this forum who works for Issac and said that the choice for all the major sanctioning bodies to use the HANS was only because Isaac was not available at the time................
I am thinking that the reason they STAY with the HANS is evident.
For my tracktime i absolutely will use a H+N restraint every time out, but i am also very confident that i made the right choice with the HANS device.
sorry "Isaac guy":sad:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Guys, here are some facts from a former Isaac user:

1. It takes less than a second or two to undo the Isaac pins. They are quick release, you simply pull them out.

2. Most sanctioning bodies do not use or in some cases do not allow the Isaac because of one reason and one reason alone - it does not have a single point of release. Thus, it is not SFI certified.

3. The studies and videos I have seen, albeit done by Gregg Baker at Isaac, prove to me anyway that the Isaac is far better at stopping head/neck movement than the HANS in all non head on impacts. The videos of the HANS sliding out from under the restraints in an "angled" impact are scary.

4. Gregg Baker, who invented the Isaac, is incredibly knowledgeable about human body accident dynamics. Ask him anything and he'll give you his best shot at an answer.

I understand the trepidation in using the Isaac, but inability to release the pins should not be one of them. Frankly, inability to use it with certain sanctioning bodies due to SFI monopoly on safety testing should be.

HANS is not a bad device. But, for MOST accidents, the Isaac appears to me to be conclusively better.

Last point. Which do you think is much more likely to occur at a club racing event or HPDE -- an angled impact OR a roll over and burn? In the former, the Isaac gives you better protection. In the latter, I think the concerns about getting out of the Isaac are overstated.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I've run many hundreds of competitive laps at Oulton and as said - the Marshalls are great. Give them an endless supply of bacon butties with HP sauce and they'll get you out of anything you're dumb enough to get into....

Cascades (there's no "The") is definitely the most dangerous corner. It used to share that dubious hono(u)r with Knickerbrook until Derek Warwick's brother Paul was killed there and they introduced a chicane.

I'm not going to drag up my convoluted arguments from another thread about risk assessment in Motor Racing but Jeff has a point about the relative likelihood of being trapped in a burning car against, say, a roll-over and/or high impact crash.

The answer to Patrick's concerns involves an understanding on how much better the Isaac is than the HANs (if at all). If the Isaac is ten times better than the HANs then the very low likelihood of a crash like Hunter's says that you're better taking the extra protection against the chance of (a) having a fiery crash (rare) (b) being trapped in the car (even rarer) or (c) being unable to pull the pins (rarer still).

If the Isaac is just a little better than the HANs then the risk assessment changes.

What concerns me about the video is that the firesuit not only continues to burn but when outside the car the fire on his leg starts up again.
(You can see this better on one of the other videos on YouTube).
I have to assume that he had some fuel leak on to the fabric - or his suit had been stained by oil or a similar fluid.
Firesuits must "self extinguish" in less than three seconds or they cannot be classed as "Fire retardent". This did not happen.
There are two things to take from this.
1. You don't know how your suit will perform until you really need it.
2. Never use a suit that has been contaminated with oil or similar fluids.
In this case the fuel/contamination was on his leg.
There are worse places.....

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
The Isaac can be the greatest thing since sliced bread but I still wouldn't want the marshals having to figure out how to extricate me at my crash site.

HP sauce...
:drool:

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Last point. Which do you think is much more likely to occur at a club racing event or HPDE -- an angled impact OR a roll over and burn? In the former, the Isaac gives you better protection. In the latter, I think the concerns about getting out of the Isaac are overstated.

But it seems like the roll over and burn would be more dangerous. Therefore, you'd want the best protection for the worst scenario.

But I guess either one could be very dangerous.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
But it seems like the roll over and burn would be more dangerous. Therefore, you'd want the best protection for the worst scenario.

But I guess either one could be very dangerous.

I did this to death in another thread but.....

It's not so simple.
You have to balance the risks.
If better protection against a high speed impact (Isaac) may give you less "protection" if trapped in a burning car - then you need to assess the likelihood of either event happening - because it's not a case of "best protection" - it's a case of which set of advantages and disadvantages you choose.
Extreme case scenario:
Choose the Isaac and you may be kicking yourself with what's left of your leg because you suffered serious burns in the extra seconds it took to get out of the car.
Choose the HANs and you can't get out of the wheelchair to kick yourself for not having the most protection against a serious head/back injury.

So you have to look at how likely each occurence may be and balance that against the extra level of "protection" from each device.

·
Registered
173 Posts
What about the R3? I just ordered one.

BTW, I counted abt 50 seconds from start of fire to when I first saw the driver. So, to me, this wreck says much more about the importance of fire retardant clothing than the optimal head restraint system

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Worse case scenario, can the harness be cut to release the Issac unit from the harness?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts