The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thrilled because the Evora GT is more fun every time I drive it. My lifelong dream of owning a Lotus is everything I hoped for and more.

But I'm depressed because of the rumor? fact? that Lotus will soon stop producing traditionally engined cars.

It bothers me that folks in the future may not have the opportunity to experience what I'm enjoying right now. Yes, I know electric cars have better acceleration and don't need a transmission. But something is lost in that driving experience... the driver isn't closing the loop with the drivetrain, can't make different decisions depending upon conditions or desired outcome, etc.

I'm also troubled that the cost of an electric drivetrain may price Lotus out of the reach of all but the most well-off drivers. Lotus occupies a unique position in the automotive world - supercar performance that's within reach of sub-supercar buyers like me.

I'm incredibly happy that I have my Evora GT. But I feel bad for future drivers who may not have a similar chance. It's bad enough when superior products become unavailable because the manufacturer goes out of business, but in this case it's an intentional, conscious decision. I find that very depressing.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Whether or not it is Lotus, someone will produce an analog car even after it is illegal. There's too much precedent for me to think otherwise, and, frankly, and I want to believe it, haha. Just the fact that the Ariel Atom exists and is legal in many states makes me think the kit car loophole alone will buy us enthusiasts some time.

In the meantime, I honestly am grateful to guys like you who leave guys like me with lower budgets a decent market to pick from in a few years. My wife wants an Evora once our youngest is in a booster seat, so the 4xx models will be well within range at that point, and she is going to have a blast with the reactions in the drop-off lane at school!

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Drop off lane... yes, that would be fun to watch!

When our (now 18YO) son was in elementary school, he was flying RC planes and helicopters. As luck would have it, I was doing some consulting with a local helicopter company at the same time. I toyed very strongly with the idea of having him dropped off at school in a helicopter... they had this nice patch of grass right in the middle of the drop off lane "loop" where a Robinson R22 would have fit perfectly. I still regret not doing that.

Edit: Your signature inspired me to create my own! It's a bit more optimistic than yours. {grin}

·
Such Administrating
6,894 Posts
While it is a different experience, electric cars have some pretty crazy performance numbers. Even if Lotus does stop producing gas engines to move electric, the used market will still be there for quite a long time!

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
I drop/pick up my kids off at school in the Exige all the time[or well I did when there was school]

The other kids get used to it

ICE cars are not going to be illegal, any more than it is illegal to drive a Stutz Bearcat to work

No one drives a Stutz to work because while it was a high performance vehicle 100 years ago, it sucks as a car in all ways now

When a electric rental car full of tourists can beat you in the stop light gran prix, you will stop worrying about the fun noises an ICE car makes and consider performance

Which is what it is really about.

Another ~20 percent in power density and I think you will be able to make 'Lotus priced' and 'Lotus weight' EVs

·
Loves to talk
1,101 Posts
Don't be depressed! That makes me very sad too!

If enthusiasts are as disappointed as you are regarding the automotive future, special cars like the Evora will probably gain in value rather than lose it. In the Evora's case, last of breed also means best of breed. These cars have a potentially bright future in that regard. Anyway, you've got yours. Take good care, enjoy it now, and revel in the rarity.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise Nightfall Blue
45 Posts
I don't think there's anything inherent to an EV that makes it a bad platform for enthusiasts. Just because there's no clutch does not make it akin to an automatic. The real problem is the every car manufacturer, ICE or EV, has figured out the way to make the most money is to make boring cars. Case in point: Lamborghini's best selling vehicle is a crossover. Ferrari doesn't make a manual transmission ICE car anymore and is also planning on making a crossover, and Lotus also is planning on making a crossover. The BMW 1 series is now front wheel drive. The Toyota 86 doesn't have an easy way to turn off stability control. The list goes on...

If lotus makes an entry level EV, I'm assuming it will be true to the brand and it will be great. Probably. Hopefully. Maybe?

Just like always, to get what you want, you're probably going to have to modify, except in the future it will be disengaging driver assists and lowering crossovers.

Finally, IMHO: straight line performance, especially in today's market is fools gold. Nobody buys an Elise for what it does at the drag strip, so it's not an appropriate comparison.

·
Registered
574 Posts
It is sad, but Lotus claims they will be making at least one more ICE car. Lets hope they go out with a bang. Also remember Lotus is notorious of sticking with a platform for 10+ years. So, just because its their last ICE doesn't mean it won't be around for awhile receiving improvements. Just look the the Esprit, Elise and Evora.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All good points. And the earlier comments about EV's being sporty too is totally correct. Having driven both, though, there's just something visceral about a mechanical engine roaring under your control.

In these days of SpaceX and the USA's return to manned spaceflight (hooray!), I'm reminded of comments from those who have gone to Cape Canaveral and witnessed a launch. Several have made the same comment: When they felt the wall of sound hit them, their eyes teared up and they got a lump in their throat. There's something in our DNA that responds to tangible power like that. We may not all get to be astronauts, or even supersonic jet pilots, but as long as there are ICE's we can get a small taste of power and high thrust-to-weight from a Lotus. One that hums instead of roars just may not be the same. I will be delighted to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There's something in our DNA that responds to tangible power like that. We may not all get to be astronauts, or even supersonic jet pilots, but as long as there are ICE's we can get a small taste of power and high thrust-to-weight from a Lotus. One that hums instead of roars just may not be the same.
Could not agree more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts