The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it too good to be true?

An anniversary edition for less than $30K buy it now? 60K is a lot of miles, but this still seems very cheap for a car that is represented in good working order.

Lotus : Esprit 25th Anniversary in Lotus | eBay Motors

I wouldn't like the $500 immediate payment required, and the ad is pretty sparse. It does say that it's #43 of 250... Wasn't it 100 anniversary editions?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Only a few thousand miles in last few years, and last two owners put little miles on car. Car also went through several auctions....... So would be interested in car's history and if any records are available, and what service it might need/problems it has had.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea, almost no info on the history of the car. You'd have to be brave to commit $500 without knowing anything more than what's in the ad.

But considering that I haven't seen a 2002+ go for below $40K, that does leave a lot of room for repairs unless it's the big one (engine rebuild).

·
Registered
308 Posts
Seller has 100% positive feedback with over 1800 transactions ---- many of them car sales. I'd say that counts for something. I would like to see some pics of the underside / chassis and engine, though ;)

....could be a nice deal on a decent car. Is it a little tired ??? --- probably.....but, looks to be very fairly priced for what it is. Assuming it can pass a compression / leak down test, and the gearbox isn't worn out ---- I'd be all over it (if I didn't already have one, that is :)).

Asking for a few hundred down immediately to secure the car is pretty standard for selling any car on FleaBay ---- many buyers back out after they hit the buy button, so I don't begrudge a seller for asking for a bit of "commit money"...... out of pocket costs just for listing a car are substantial --- a couple of hundred typically.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Reading between the lines on the car check report... Appears the car had a major failure sometime after 5/2007 and has been tossed around auctions since. Looks like one owner prior.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first owner had the time of their life as soon as they got the car -- 23K miles in 6 weeks!

·
Registered
667 Posts
The first owner had the time of their life as soon as they got the car -- 23K miles in 6 weeks!
Wow, do you think that is accurate? It is about 3,000 miles to travel cross country from Virginia to California, so that would be like crossing the country 7 times in a month and a half! (Plus a little). Or maybe they commute to Alaska. ;)

I must say I've been contemplating a cross country trek in my Esprit, but the lack of cup holders and storage space would make it a very different experience versus your standard car. But what a ride it would be!

Anyone actually done it?

I was thinking, maybe that much mileage in such a short period is due to track use?

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it's accurate, but surprising. The rest of the mileage history backs it up.

My brother did that kind of mileage when he bought a Viper new. He lived in the sticks and was driving a lot back then.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is my car that is for sale I'm selling it for private reasons none of them have anything to do with the car. it has no leaks its in fantastic shape I owe no money on it the paint it great runs like new fast as hell. It is great car I need sell some stuff an these two cars are the one the family decided we need the least. I know its worth more than I'm asking.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What's the package deal on the Esprit and the 308? :cool:

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That was a very quick sale! Most Esprits sit on the market for months. Lately some of those have been sold on eBay at much lower prices than they started.

Was it someone on this forum? I was egging my buddy to buy your car, but he really wants a red one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts