The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's claimed that customer cars are being held at port because Lotus is trying to get all the dealers their demo cars first. Yet dealers are selling their demos to other dealers. I think one person who took delivery on this forum paid a premium at a dealer by me. I called them up today and just asked, "You got your demo?" The rat bastard lied and said that their demo is still at port and is being held there.

I guess in an ideal world, what Lotus planned on doing would be nice. But this is reality and you have scumbags left and right. Why don't they just release the hounds!?!??!?!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Dealers aren't selling their demos because they are contractually obligated to keep them for the time being. They are selling other Elises, as I understand it.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Who is claiming that?

There are things that have to happen to every car. From what I have heard/read... customer cars are being delivered and in many cases, to dealers without demos.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm....said member on this forum tells us where he picked up his car from. I call the dealership and they say their demo is still at port? Would a dealer receive a customer car before a demo car?

I've spoken to a dealer and they said that they sold their demo for $5k over sticker.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Which dealer said they sold their demo?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Exactly, it was in Lotus's best interests to get demo cars first to all dealers. It does you very little good to hear your dealer got a customer car. But the LSS situation changed that.

And FWIW, Lotus did tell dealers to not get LSS demos.

Anyway... There is no intentional holding a bunch of cars while dealers get demos. All cars are being shipped out as they can. It's just a bit slow of a process.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Originally, I believe the cars were being held at port until both East and West Coast could get their cars about the same time. I think there was a week or two difference.

As for the Elise's for sales, I think they are two possibile scenarios:

1) Wholesalers have been calling dealers asking if they want an Elise. That leads me to believe that either the wholesalers had deposits long, long ago and are selling their cars, or bought it from a person who was number 1 or 2 on the list.

2) Owners and employees of dealerships put their name on the list very early on and are now selling their spots back to the dealership for profit, who in turn sell it's for more profit.

Incidentally, while at Scottsdale Lotus on Saturday, I had a chance to see the Elise waiting list. The first person on their was dated in late January, 2003. My guess is that after seeing the Elise at the L.A. show, he/she put his deposit down.

So, I feel comfortable the list is not filled with wholesalers or speculators but people really want their cars. That probably also explains why waiters 1 to 15 JUST WON'T DROP OF THE LIST!!! :mad: ;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
There's an article in "The Economist' about long port delays at Los Angeles -- for everything. Apparently, the port handles about a third of all containers shipped into the US. They are simply overwhelmed, and experts are predicting gridlock by 2006. Some may be offloaded to Tacoma, where port renovations are in progress to a cost of 321 million

Can't blame it all on Lotus... then again...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Wait? What wait? Cars are arriving now and Lotus believes they will be caught up on production in September. On another thread Lotus of Atlanta has received 5 or 6 cars.
Don't get discouraged now the darn things are arriving.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
grudkin said:
There's an article in "The Economist' about long port delays at Los Angeles -- for everything. Apparently, the port handles about a third of all containers shipped into the US. They are simply overwhelmed, and experts are predicting gridlock by 2006. Some may be offloaded to Tacoma, where port renovations are in progress to a cost of 321 million

Can't blame it all on Lotus... then again...
Exactly. I was specificially told by Lotus that is what is happening in the port is out of their hands. Ships are sitting out at sea waiting to be allowed to come into port and unload. Shipping companies are unhappy. Lotus is unhappy. West coast customers are unhappy.

One ship unloaded. Two ships with containers of Elises are in the Pacific. ... er ON the pacific. Don't want a transio level rumor. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts