The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wow Such Admin
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Some of those views are awesome. I'd love to see what kind of footage you could get from something like this during an auto-x run.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just imagine the video you could get with that. Would be freaking awesome. I won't ever drop $1,000 on a drone, so I won't be trying it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It really would be phenomenal, and I'd actually consider buying it (I already bring $2000 of camera gear to autocrosses anyhow...). I wonder if they are fast enough to try to follow on a track, and if those organizations allow them...

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I will bet that the military, police, and homeland security will limit or ban public use of drones and only allow very limited access to the general public. It would be cool though!

·
Registered
945 Posts
I will bet that the military, police, and homeland security will limit or ban public use of drones and only allow very limited access to the general public. It would be cool though!
A recent funding bill told the FAA to make specific rules for these and the FAA was supposed to release regulations this year but it doesn't look like it it's going to happen.

Right now they're "governed" by the Model Airplane notices from years ago, which say you're not supposed to fly them over populated areas or beyond your line of sight, and that you can't use them commercially.

However, those notices were probably never binding regulation and the only case they've brought under them (against Pirker from Team BlackSheep) resulted in a strong loss and is under appeal.

I agree that once the FAA comes out with regulation it'll probably be quite strict, depressingly. I do think they need to be regulated, though - I already see more and more of them around my town, prices are only coming down, and they can do fairly serious damage (ask me about when I put mine through a skylight!).

I'm going to try to do some more driving videos soon and post them up here - I've been slowly rebuilding my rig "bigger and better" after a (non-skylight) crash a few months ago.

It really would be phenomenal, and I'd actually consider buying it (I already bring $2000 of camera gear to autocrosses anyhow...). I wonder if they are fast enough to try to follow on a track, and if those organizations allow them...
Here in CO enough people have had issues with them that a few of our tracks have banned them outright and I think our SCCA/Solo chapter was discussing banning them as well. Controllable top speed of a good rig is in the 20s-30s, so it could get some cool autocross follow footage but for a track you'd have to come up with more creative panning shots. The modern ones (DJI Phantom 2 and the like) are advanced enough that they're pretty good at recovering themselves / not crashing, but they're still a bit challenging to fly well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts