The Lotus Cars Community banner

You can't change your order. How do you respond to the MSRP increase?

• Nothing. I'm gonna take it.

Votes: 37 48.7%
  • Won't purchase the Starshield or any other Lotus accessories.

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • Complain to my dealer.

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Complain directly to LCU.

Votes: 12 15.8%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us who have a firm order submitted to Lotus, what are you going to do about the price increase now that it's too late to change your order?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
No problem - I'm just debating whether to pay above MSRP at some dealer and get a car as soon as possible - but I really want Ardent, top, etc. - probably worth the wait to get what I want - screw the price increase.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Vented enough. Going foward with purchase. Drop Starshield. Saw a couple installs in person at the dealership and it didn't look great anyway. They had dust underneath.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I went and looked at the C6 today. I can get my car around Nov. for MSRP.

That's what I'm looking at now.

If I don't get the C6, I was going to get some Lotus accessoriers, but will no longer do so in the near future.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
tidalwdave said:
I went and looked at the C6 today. I can get my car around Nov. for MSRP.

That's what I'm looking at now.

If I don't get the C6, I was going to get some Lotus accessoriers, but will no longer do so in the near future.
do the dealers have brochures yet?

·
Registered
963 Posts
No, but I've had one for about two months. A friend of mine went to Kentucky and was at the printing place that Chevy uses. He was able to get a couple brochures

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Not really. I'm doing the same thing, but I'm going to have it installed by someone else. I know an excellent installer here in VA beach. And they won't charge me as much. I was never thrilled that Lotus started making it nearly mandatory that we buy it, but I was cool with it because I know how small their profit margin was getting, and felt it would help out them out for bringing such a great car over here. After how they've handled this latest, I have no sympathy. It's possible I'll order aftermarket parts from them, but no longer particularly likely. It will depend on the quality of the parts... same as the car... if the product wasn't the best on the market, I wouldn't buy it. Now they have to prove their products are the best... whereas before I was willing to take their word for it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
MotorCade said:
Not really. I'm doing the same thing, but I'm going to have it installed by someone else. I know an excellent installer here in VA beach. And they won't charge me as much. I was never thrilled that Lotus started making it nearly mandatory that we buy it, but I was cool with it because I know how small their profit margin was getting, and felt it would help out them out for bringing such a great car over here. After how they've handled this latest, I have no sympathy. It's possible I'll order aftermarket parts from them, but no longer particularly likely. It will depend on the quality of the parts... same as the car... if the product wasn't the best on the market, I wouldn't buy it. Now they have to prove their products are the best... whereas before I was willing to take their word for it.
my sentiments as well

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lotus has a right to make money, that's why they do what they do.

The problem I have is how they've gone about the price increase. Due to production delays, many customers are still waiting for their Elise. If Lotus had been on time, those folks would have gotten their cars by now and would have avoided the price increase. They are being penalized by Lotus' delays.

Also, those of us who have firm orders and spec'ed our cars at the old MSRP will now pay more and we don't have the option of changing our specs to offset the price increase.

We've committed at the old price, our deposits are no longer refundable, Lotus has us by the cajones and they don't care.

Either they honor the old MSRP, or they should let us change the specs on our orders.

Sad thing is, they don't have to do the right thing because their product is so damn good.

Lotus and John English, are you listening? Do the right thing.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I know this may not help, but Johnny and I are going to write Lotus and LCU to register our complaint.

I strongly believe that if you are locked into your order, then I urge you to join us in mailing Lotus to register our disagreement and propose a solution.

PM me or Johnny to be involved.

Regardless of how others feel on this board, if we don't take the time to stand up for ourselves, then who will do it for us?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Genjuro said:
I know this may not help, but Johnny and I are going to write Lotus and LCU to register our complaint.

I strongly believe that if you are locked into your order, then I urge you to join us in mailing Lotus to register our disagreement and propose a solution.

PM me or Johnny to be involved.

Regardless of how others feel on this board, if we don't take the time to stand up for ourselves, then who will do it for us?
Guys, we gotta stand up for ourselves. Does Lotus have the right to do this to us, sure. However, is it the right thing to do?

Hell no. It is very poor customer service on their part.

They have an opportunity to get new Lotus owners hooked on their brand at a reasonable price point with hopes to bump them up through the brand on the next Esprit or other model at a higher price point.

After this, it's going to be hard for me and the others in my situation to want to go upmarket through the Lotus brand.

LCU and John English, are you listening? Do the right thing!

If you do, I'll name my first born son after you...errr, uh, well, guess I was going to do that anyway.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thanks for the PMs guys! I will offer this initial reply as a short nod of the head that I know a lot of you are interested in writing to Lotus. As the holiday weekend wraps up, I will be working with Johnny and the rest of you to review a draft letter. Hopefully we will have a final version completed and ready to go by the end of this week.

Most likely they will be expecting this letter by reading this forum. I have some ideas that I will share offline with you all.

Thanks,

Genj

·
Registered
601 Posts
Why don't we have one person draft a letter followed by the names of the customers who this has affected and who fell betrayed by such actions.

I was also told that my car was supposed to be here before the price increase and it is not here. I placed my deposit based on the original msrp and think that Lotus ought to honor those who placed their orders based on the original msrp.

It is horrible PR that they are doing this. If enough of us say something I think they will surely change their attitude towards the few customers willing to place orders/deposits before even seeing this car. As a car company they should establish loyalty, actions like this clearly send the wrong message.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
TOPGUN750 said:
Why don't we have one person draft a letter followed by the names of the customers who this has affected and who fell betrayed by such actions.

I was also told that my car was supposed to be here before the price increase and it is not here. I placed my deposit based on the original msrp and think that Lotus ought to honor those who placed their orders based on the original msrp.

It is horrible PR that they are doing this. If enough of us say something I think they will surely change their attitude towards the few customers willing to place orders/deposits before even seeing this car. As a car company they should establish loyalty, actions like this clearly send the wrong message.
That's what Johnny and I are doing. PM me for me details.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Would you rather that they just sold the cars into Europe where the Euro is strong relative to the pound? Would it be ok if they said we will get around to delivering your cars when the dollar rebounds?

They are running a business and they do have to make money so they can stay in business.

I know you don't want to hear it but the increase could have been much more and they are still not making as much on each car as they thought they would when they decided on a sub $40K price over one year ago.

The car is well worth the money and all of this will have been forgotten once you have yours:clap:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts