The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Main reason for doing this was because, though I love the Elise, I need something more practical while I am back in school for the next 4-5 years.

So I have a 2006 SY Elise (purchased new last year) with 10k. Base package but it has brand new TRMotorsports wheels and Eagle F1s, hardtop and JVC Navigation, Stage II and other tasty bits. I realize I won't get back what I put into it but the dealer quoted 29K for trade in. And here I was naively thinking I could do an even swap - or even get back a few K. :no:

Guess I am just shocked at the offering of basically half the value in only 1 year. TADTS

The Elise is still the best sports car for me so it's not a huge deal - just a bit surprising.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'll hold the car till you are finished with school

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Main reason for doing this was because, though I love the Elise, I need something more practical while I am back in school for the next 4-5 years.

So I have a 2006 SY Elise (purchased new last year) with 10k. Base package but it has brand new TRMotorsports wheels and Eagle F1s, hardtop and JVC Navigation, Stage II and other tasty bits. I realize I won't get back what I put into it but the dealer quoted 29K for trade in. And here I was naively thinking I could do an even swap - or even get back a few K. :no:

Guess I am just shocked at the offering of basically half the value in only 1 year. TADTS

The Elise is still the best sports car for me so it's not a huge deal - just a bit surprising.
Remember, when trading in, a dealer will give you at best 50 to 60% on the dollar. They have to finance, refurbish, inventory your car. Then the salesman will need to make a nickel, his boss gets a piece, and the dealership gets a piece, and the repair shop will do a chargeback to get the car brought up to resell speed.

Also, all the extra bits you put on the car at best might get 50 cents on the dollar in return for you, most less, actually most NO return on sale.

Believe it or not, your mileage is 'high' compared to cars on the market now, and that doesn't help.

Good luck with the sale or trade, but it's been known than you will ALWAYS have more $$$ to work with in a private sale. The trade in has only convenience as an advantage,

·
Registered
139 Posts
Dealer Economics

New car dealers generally make more on the trade ins than they do on the new car. Tell him you want $2000 off the list price of the STI and $32000 for the elise or take a walk. You'll get a call in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Lotus vs. STI

Having owned both (STI then Elise) I probably am in a better position than most to comment. They're both great cars, but completely different cars. The STI is fast, but its greatest attribute is its amazing versatility. Seats 4, holds a lot of luggage, is great in the snow and can eat up 1000 miles in a day. The Lotus is none of that. But after driving the Elise, everything, including the STI feels fat and bloated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No!!! Don't do it!

Drove an 08 STI last week down here in Aus (we get the 2.5l like you guys, not the 2.0l like in Japan) and was throughly unimpressed.

A mate used to have an 05 STI and it was much more fun, more 'raw'. The new one felt flat and unexciting. I found myself bouncing off the limiter whilst waiting for something to happen - some surge of acceleration like the older models. Give me the older 2l any day... (it seems there's good reason the Japs still use it!)

Checking out a Golf R32 on Tuesday and an Audi S3 later in the week - they all come in at the same price now!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No!!! Don't do it!

Drove an 08 STI last week down here in Aus (we get the 2.5l like you guys, not the 2.0l like in Japan) and was throughly unimpressed.

A mate used to have an 05 STI and it was much more fun, more 'raw'. The new one felt flat and unexciting. I found myself bouncing off the limiter whilst waiting for something to happen - some surge of acceleration like the older models. Give me the older 2l any day... (it seems there's good reason the Japs still use it!)

Checking out a Golf R32 on Tuesday and an Audi S3 later in the week - they all come in at the same price now!
I had an 05 STi as well - but it was hard to compare the 08 since I didn't go over 4k rpm. It was much quieter, but the fit and finish was much better. I hear a Cobb reflash and Prodrive exhaust make it a real beast.

·
Banned
839 Posts
or just use the elise as a DD.. I don't get it?

your a student.. what do you need to do? I mean use the elise.. if you go grocery shopping put the groceries in the seat next to you etc etc.

come on.. it's easy

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
or just use the elise as a DD.. I don't get it?

your a student.. what do you need to do? I mean use the elise.. if you go grocery shopping put the groceries in the seat next to you etc etc.

come on.. it's easy
Simply because I can't drive the Elise everyday - for example, when there is ice on the road. I don't think that is wise.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
A well planned purchase!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts