The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at the Lexus dealership getting a few parts for my daily driver when something caught my eye within the showroom.

You can probably guess what it was. Yep, the 416 HP beast known as the IS-F. They had a pearl white one with all the bells and whistles sitting there unsold. I went inside and talked to the local "expert" on the car. I was incredibly impressed by the amount of technical knowledge the salesman had about the car.

I was there for over an hour and a half talking to him about it, playing with all the cool gadgets inside, and drooling over the amazing engine and cool features it had.

Finally I asked the question: "Hey, what's the curb weight on this car?"

He paused and said: "... is that your Lotus outside?"

Me: "Yeah, why?"

Salesman: "This car weighs as much as two of those. :("

Me: "Really? What's the #?"

Salesman: "3800 lbs."

Me: :crazyeyes :no:

So I guess that was the deal breaker. If the car weighed 1000 lbs less then I'd be Lotus-less right now and this thread would be a "good bye" thread. I'd also get to say "hello" to a car payment again :thwack: if I went through with it.

They actually have three of the IS-Fs in stock right now. I thought that was odd since the car has a limited production of only 2200 units.

It's an amazing car but the Lotus still reigns supreme in my book :coolnana:

So how heavy do you think modern "sports" cars are going to get? 4500 lbs? 5000 lbs?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
How many 2800 lb. performance sedans are out there? Even the Lotus Eagle is supposed to be near that weight. Not a criticism, it is just that weight, horsepower and price are related.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Is it true that there's no 6spd manual for the IS-F?

No manual transmission, no care :D

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
So I guess that was the deal breaker. If the car weighed 1000 lbs less then I'd be Lotus-less right now and this thread would be a "good bye" thread.
If the car weighed a 1000lbs less it wouldn't be a 4 door, four seater, high performance luxury sedan (it is not a sportscar).

I realize this is a forum that favors lightweight over luxury, but it is pretty silly to expect other cars that are much bigger and more luxurious [than the Lotus] to be featherweights in this day and age. Even the lightest/smallest economy cars are 2500-3000lbs.
The IS-F is actually pretty light for what it is. It is around 100lbs lighter than a Nissan GT-R or a Ferrari 599 and only 250lbs (approx) heavier than the Evo X, that's not bad considering the size and accommodations it has.

I had one for a week back in November and it was quite good.
It is shockingly fast (4.2 0-60) and the transmission was pretty damn impressive (and well suited to the car) considering it is a manumamtic, it shifts as fast as the Ferrari's F1 gearbox, holds gears, and blips the throttle on downshifts. Handling was well balanced and grip good.
That said it is not quite as good or as sporty as the M3 or RS4.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I realize this is a forum that favors lightweight over luxury, but it is pretty silly to expect other cars that are much bigger and more luxurious [than the Lotus] to be featherweights in this day and age. Even the lightest/smallest economy cars are 2500-3000lbs.
The IS-F is actually pretty light for what it is. It is around 100lbs lighter than a Nissan GT-R or a Ferrari 599 and only 250lbs (approx) heavier than the Evo X, that's not bad considering the size and accommodations it has.
Well said :up:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If the car weighed a 1000lbs less it wouldn't be a 4 door, four seater, high performance luxury sedan (it is not a sportscar).

Stop trying to spoil a good story with the truth!!

Well said though :up:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Glad you came to your senses !!

·
Registered
82 Posts
...those extra 2 ugly doors towards the back look like a deal breaker to me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
3800 lbs was the deal breaker? What are you expecting? A gutted out race-car Lexus?

3800 lbs is about what I'd expect for that type of car. 2800 lbs is a laughable expectation.
Agreed. You can't expect much out of a car like that in the weight department. Yeah - you're Elise is much lighter and a better handling track car and all that, but the IS-F is full of luxury, leather, and highway-cruiseability. I mean, after all, it is a Lexus.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
8 speed tiptronic, tell it how it is. No matter what you call it, it's an automatic.

Don't knock it till you try it, it may be an automatic, but it's as good as any other paddle shifting transmission I've ever driven, with exception to the Ferrari F1 superfast (and the Lexus tranny shifts as fast as the Ferrari). The transmission suits the LS-F quite well too.

Now if you want to complain about paddle shifters over a true manual in a sports car, I'm right there with you ;)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
If you're looking at the Lexus, should you consider the comparably priced and relatively lighter new M3 and the C63 AMG also?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the car seems ike a really nice ride, but I cant stand the way the rear of it looks. I think the lesser lexus even looks better.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts