The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend, a buddy of mine dropped off a 2009 Maserati Gran Turismo for me to play with for the afternoon...I have to say that It was love at first sight, but after driving it, it got kind of boring...it was the complete opposite of what I love about the Elise. I felt way too pampered, and outside of the sound of the Ferrari motor, it was kind of boring. The steering wheel seemed enormous, and the amount of buttons paddles, etc was a little overwhelming. The car also seems huge when compared to the Elise, but then again, what car doesn't. The acceleration seemed ok, but I felt my Elise was quicker. The fit and finish of the car seemed significantly better than the Elise (no big surprise here, but what would one expect, it costs 2X as much).

A month ago, he let me drive the Quattroporte sedan, which I was more impressed with...maybe because it was a rocket for being such a big sedan. Both cars were the epitome of comfort.

However, all in all, pretty to look at, but not for me.:no:

Andy

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...the granturismo i think is the only car which challenges aston martin at its own game - even beats it...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
i doubt your elise is quicker than the granturismo.

Maybe 0-60 but beyond i would think the gran turismo takes it

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Were you actually expecting anything else? What you described would be exactly how I would have imagined it. You've been misinformed if you were thinking it would be any different of a car..

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's like comparing a filet mignon to a protein shake:shrug: Compare the Gran Turismo (or even better the S) to another high end touring car, and you got yourself a winner:cool:

·
Registered
217 Posts
...it was the complete opposite of what I love about the Elise. I felt way too pampered, and outside of the sound of the Ferrari motor, it was kind of boring. The steering wheel seemed enormous, and the amount of buttons paddles, etc was a little overwhelming. The car also seems huge when compared to the Elise, but then again, what car doesn't.
??? Of course the Maserati is different! lol Not sure why you would even consider any sort of comparison here with the Lotus. That said, the Gran Turismo is one of my favorite cars that exists at the moment. It is so beautiful inside and out AND has great GT car performance numbers. I'm not sure about the reliability, but hey, can't be all that bad! :shrug:

Moral of the story: never compare an apple to a piece of chocolate cake.:D

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I mean really, how interesting do you think it's going to be going from stop-light to stop-light? :D

·
Registered
494 Posts
There are definitely different horses for different courses. On a track, give me the Lotus.

On Pacific Coast Highway, driving from LA to Astoria in two or three days...give me the Maserati.

As a Grand Touring machine...it's fabulous. Sadly few of the US cars have been ordered in anything but drab and plain interior colors :(

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
As many have already stated... this thread is pointless. Why compare the 2?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The new Maserati GT is just that....a GT. Its goal in life is to be a cruiser. Mas doesnt want to compete with big Bro, Ferrari.

The car that the GT replaces WAS far more of a sports car than GT. We have one...06 Maserati Gransport. Major mechanical systems are the same (ish) as Ferrari 430s and 360s. The engine block for example, same as a 430. Having previously owned boat loads of German cars (as the DD) I assure you that the Maseratis are far more interesting..and engaging.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Actually, life itself is pointless. Is there a PURPOSE of life?
Is the entire Universe pointless??:confused:

Don't make me get started.......

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Comparing a luxury car and a track car is not pointless.
It shows the huge difference between the cars.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Gran Turismo is super sexy! Was deciding between that and the Elise. Somehow I picked the Elise after driving it a few more times haha. Still dream about what would have been if I had that car tho. I'm sure I'd still be as happy as I am now.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
F360 or F430 are GT cars compared to an Elise. rotfl Whaddya expect from the softer version of those cars (Maser)?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Get that fifth gear video out of here. :thwack:

I personally like the styling of the GT better, and it reminds me of the S2000 for some reason. But the Elise is way more fun to ride in imo. It's like Italy vs Britain. Great, WW2 all over again.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts