The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I signed it. The Wallstreet Journal had some interesting commentaries last week about the US oil reserves and our unwillingness to tap them. We are the only country in the world that is purposly not exploiting oil and gas natuaral resources. The other thing we need to do is to get China to stop artificially reducing the gas prices there. They pay about $1 less a gallon due to government subsidies, so their consumption is still skyrocketing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Reduced consumption of resources is key to the reduced Human impact on this planet. The last thing we need to do is destroy the planet by drilling for more resources. Higher gas prices is what we need in order to reduce consumption and create more efficient transportation.

The economy runs on oil...but future of the human species is more important than the economy...

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm not suppporting the defacing of our beautiful country. I'd rather support the migration to a new energy source.
Tell me which energy source you think would be acceptable. The Greenies reject every realistic option - nuclear, hydro, coal, etc. And don't start talking any nonsense about ethanol. We would have to farm the entire planet if wanted enough to replace all the oil we use.

BTW - some parts of this country are not all that beautiful and I wouldn't mind seeing them defaced if it means that our economy can continue to thrive.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Tell me which energy source you think would be acceptable. The Greenies reject every realistic option - nuclear, hydro, coal, etc. And don't start talking any nonsense about ethanol. We would have to farm the entire planet if wanted enough to replace all the oil we use.

BTW - some parts of this country are not all that beautiful and I wouldn't mind seeing them defaced if it means that our economy can continue to thrive.
I'm more along the lines of wind/solar/hydro energy in combination with reduced consumption. Also, the ugly parts of the county are usually like that for a reason....lack of natural resources.

Plus, in the big picture....screw our economy. I'd rather my decendents have a nice planet to live on, than for me to have inexpensive groceries and fuel.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Reduced consumption of energy works ;)
Yeah, just ask Al Gore

rotfl

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research points to another choice example of political hypocrisy, this from Obama backer Al Gore:

In the past year, Gore's home burned through 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month. . . .

After the Tennessee Center for Policy Research exposed Gore's massive home energy use, the former Vice President scurried to make his home more energy-efficient. Despite adding solar panels, installing a geothermal system, replacing existing light bulbs with more efficient models, and overhauling the home's windows and ductwork, Gore now consumes more electricity than before the "green" overhaul. . . .

Since taking steps to make his home more environmentally-friendly last June, Gore devours an average of 17,768 kWh per month--1,638 kWh more energy per month than before the renovations--at a cost of $16,533. By comparison, the average American household consumes 11,040 kWh in an entire year, according to the Energy Information Administration.

·
Registered
205 Posts
there is no way i would sign that..

i am from coastal Louisiana. i have seen the environmental devastation that continues to this day down there from the oil and gas industry. think it's a bunch of hippie tree-hugging hocum? just look at an aerial photo from google maps of land southwest of new orleans...think mother nature carved all of those perfectly straight canals thru the marshland? man carved it up as location canals to get to wellheads which leads to coastal erosion and saltwater intrusion and so forth. beautiful cypress trees have died from the saltwater..groves and groves of them. i see fewer and fewer reptiles and amphibians from years ago. when you catch more and more saltwater fish in traditionally fresh black-water areas where you used to catch bass and perch, something's amiss.

here's the punchline...i hold mineral rights to oil and gas leases...i would make an assload of money off of this!

i say no.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
How about we change our living habits and move more people within walking or bicycling distance of the things they need to do? I am all for keeping high prices to force long term change and get us out of our cars. That means more open roads for me to drive when I want to drive.

disclaimer: I do live within walking distance of the things I want to do and always have. That is a choice everyone can make. I also have gas rights on land I own in Texas that makes me money. So what.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Forget Gore...and his Inconvenient Truth

Watch the 11th hour:

(Yes, it's in English)
My point is: good luck convincing people to curtail their lifestyle. If you can't get Al Gore to give up his McMansion, how are you going to get ordinary people to give up their cars? The answer is not to use less energy... billions of people in the developing world are going to want the same quality of life that we have now... and that's going to require more energy, not less.

·
Registered
815 Posts
How about we change our living habits and move more people within walking or bicycling distance of the things they need to do? I am all for keeping high prices to force long term change and get us out of our cars. That means more open roads for me to drive when I want to drive.

disclaimer: I do live within walking distance of the things I want to do and always have. That is a choice everyone can make. I also have gas rights on land I own in Texas that makes me money. So what.
We also need to implement WORKING FROM HOME. There are so many people that needlessly commute to work each day when they can do the same job, just as well, from the comfort of home. Desk jobs from home FTW!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I work from home, and I put my home right in the middle of a mixed business/residential area. :)

I completely agree.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts