The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough to be one of the first of the public to get into the lotus booth on Friday and stayed for quite some time.
Arnie is a great guy to talk to and Steve (the designer of the elise) was also terific. How likely would you be able to access the equivalent people at Chrystler if you were buying a viper? I've never tried, but I doubt they would be manning the chrystler booth.
My thoughts on the actual car:
I think the new hood which has been reshaped to fit some US spec components is superior to the previous verstions. It looks more finished.
All the colors look good - The red is bright and makes the car look like the logical follow on to the dino :). I'm probably going with silver with red int. After seeing it at the show, it confirmed what I had been thinking already. The burgandy is also exceptional.
Doors are much more solid than the previous versions I had seen. They finally shut with a solid thunk, that sound high quality. I will definately be getting the electric windows as I think they will be the most resilent.
The biggest issue I saw was the manual door locks. They we're extremely hard to actuate and in the green car i couldn't unlock the passenger side. Hopefully this will be fixed.
Many of the dealer installed options will be high sell through. I'll be getting HID lights and probably driving lights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,802 Posts
I was also their most of Friday. They didn't have the bordeaux car on display. It was an incomplete car and I believe Tony S. was using it as transport.

The side marker lights ARE ABSOLUTELY NO BIG DEAL, after a few minutes you don't even notice them.

Keep in mind, these cars are very much show cars and NOT production so you can expect a bit of imperfection, also, some of the cars were hybrid mixes of different components. That said, cars were pretty well built.

Also, of note, the battery has moved back into the trunk which is different from the test cars.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
pdemaio said:

Many of the dealer installed options will be high sell through. I'll be getting HID lights and probably driving lights.
Great, I was hoping HIDs would be available. I to will opt for them. I have finally narrowed my color choices down; it will be BRG with Type 25 stripe (if available)and red leather or Bordeaux Red Pearl with black leather.

Any word on racing stripes... Can someone PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE find out if they will be available :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,154 Posts
Tony and Nick drove the Bordeaux Red Pearl car to the show on Friday. It was parked in the garage outside the main entrance to the show. Looked pretty sharp. I love that color, but seem to be stuck on Saffron Yellow. Silver and red is a great combo, also. Green and biscuit impressed me, as well.

Nick was a little ticked that people kept slamming the doors. They do make a nice thunk, but don't require extreme force to close.

Still torn about the driving lights. If they are only about $200 as rumored and can be added by the dealers here in California, I'll probably go for them. By the way, I measured the front of the Bordeaux car; it seems that fog lights could be mounted legally on the grill, but driving lights need to be at least 16 inches off the ground for CA and there is not quite enough room for that. But, as I mentioned elsewhere, the Lotus guys think that they can get around that by having the dealers add them, so the cars will come pre-wired for it.

Hi Chris. I enjoyed meeting you (and your friend, although I never got his name).

Michael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,634 Posts
Quick note about the Bordeaux car: Nick Adams told me yesterday (Sunday) that driving into the convention center with the car that morning, he and Tony Shute drove it UNDER the parking structure's lowered entrance gate ! Cleared by about a half inch, according to Nick. I guess the attendant got a big kick out of that. The attendand had been razzing them for the previous couple of mornings about how small the car is, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,802 Posts
HI Michael,
That was Barry, I recruited him into the elise brotherhood about the same time I put my money down 2/02. He was happy because he finally got hold of Chris at LOA that morning to put his formal order in, he's #4 on the list there, and getting touring red leather and silver.

It was great to finally talk with some of you guys face to face! BTW> ? Where is "that LITTLE BASTARD" ;)


Hi Chris. I enjoyed meeting you (and your friend, although I never got his name).

Michael [/B][/QUOTE]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
mikester said:
Quick note about the Bordeaux car: Nick Adams told me yesterday (Sunday) that driving into the convention center with the car that morning, he and Tony Shute drove it UNDER the parking structure's lowered entrance gate ! Cleared by about a half inch, according to Nick. I guess the attendant got a big kick out of that. The attendand had been razzing them for the previous couple of mornings about how small the car is, etc.
Well that clinches things then. Looks like I can make the Elise payments on parking lot fee savings:)


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
I like the doors are now much more solid, not sure if it will still make the rattle sounds under bumpy roads. I hope the manual window doors will also be as solid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,927 Posts
In talking to one of the Lotus UK guys at the show, the manual windows haven't change. He did say the elec. windows were very solid, while the manual still had a "lose" mount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
LarryB said:
In talking to one of the Lotus UK guys at the show, the manual windows haven't change. He did say the elec. windows were very solid, while the manual still had a "lose" mount.

That's my main concern on whether or not to get the touring pack. I guess I have to wait until I test drove the demo Fed car or wait till someone get the first car in May/June and see how the manual window doors work. I talk to Arnie at the show and he said the reason the demo 111S have that rattle is because that demo car has gone through million times of door slamming so that makes the componets inside the door loose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Thoughts about the LA Elises

Derek said:
Great, I was hoping HIDs would be available. I to will opt for them.
Just to be clear my info on the dealer installed options came from the scanned order brochure that was posted here.
These were the dealer installed options listed (with no prices yet):

Additional driving lamps
High intensity headlamp bulbs
Stone-chip protection kit
Sports exhausts
Alloy sill kick plates
Front lower lip polycarbonate scuff guards

Honestly I think I would get them all except perhaps the last two depending on the quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Thoughts about the LA Elises

pdemaio said:
Just to be clear my info on the dealer installed options came from the scanned order brochure that was posted here.
These were the dealer installed options listed (with no prices yet):

Additional driving lamps
High intensity headlamp bulbs
Stone-chip protection kit
Sports exhausts
Alloy sill kick plates
Front lower lip polycarbonate scuff guards

Honestly I think I would get them all except perhaps the last two depending on the quality.
High intensity headlamp bulbs need not mean HIDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: Re: Re: Thoughts about the LA Elises

Derek said:
High intensity headlamp bulbs need not mean HIDs.
Agreed in general, but what do think it would mean besided HID in the case of the lotus?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top