The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought I would even think this...and never this soon.

But...

My wife actually hates my car. She refuses to ride in it. Too loud, too fast, to rough...hard to get in and out of. Blah Blah Blah...It now spends most of its time in the garage. Im lucky to drive it once or twice a week myself.

I'm also not very interested in tracking it, which is a shame. I dont know why, I guess its just too much money and time to invest for me. I'm not as interested as I thought I would be and I already have so many other hobbies. Oh well.

So, I'm torn....I made a feeler post on craigslist to see if $36k would get me any bites. I'm not sure I want to post it or not on other sites like autotrader or here. I'm not even sure how much my car is worth with 16k miles and all the extras I have. I do know most of it is down the drain.

Any advice? I'm thinking if I sell her I'm probably getting a Carrera S and keeping it stock. Here is a pic of Lo-Lo.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you are thinking about selling your mods I am interested in the rear diffuser.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Don't feel bad compadre!

I never thought I would even think this...and never this soon.

But...
Some of the most intense of The Crazy Rabid, Keepers of the Fu, and those [email protected]'s here on Dogpatch unloaded their Buzzbombs with under a year of ownership. Matter of fact I've been hard-pressed to think of a vehicle in automotive history where owners flipped them as fast.

Best of luck on your sale. Carrera S is awesome but you might want to take a look at a Cayman S also.

:up:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
go away

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
At least you want to sell yours. My thoughts are of driving mine into a wall, but that's another story. :wallbang::wallbang::wallbang:It's a sharp looking car, I'm sure you won't have trouble unloading it. Carrera S is a nice way to go. I've been looking at one for a while myself. Although I'm not ready yet.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Keep the car, get a new wife.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
hard-top?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I think about selling every week. Looking at a GT3 and keeping it stock.

My friends just laugh and call me names. They know I'll never sell or keep anything stock.

Keep your car, it's an awesome ride.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Track it!

Try one track day. I know you might have other hobbies, but if you haven't taken the elise on a track, you haven't discovered what it was made for. After that, if it still doesn't float your boat, at least you can say you gave it a shot before you went for the Porsche.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try one track day. I know you might have other hobbies, but if you haven't taken the elise on a track, you haven't discovered what it was made for. After that, if it still doesn't float your boat, at least you can say you gave it a shot before you went for the Porsche.
I've tried two events so far on two different tracks. I had a lot of fun, no doubt. I just cant see doing it more than a few times a year. It would require more resources and time than I'm currently willing to part with. Maybe when I'm an old fart I'll have a little more time and money. :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hard-top?
It had one but I sold it...Not much use here in TX but it did look good the few days I had it on after I bought the car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Some of the most intense of The Crazy Rabid, Keepers of the Fu, and those [email protected]'s here on Dogpatch unloaded their Buzzbombs with under a year of ownership. Matter of fact I've been hard-pressed to think of a vehicle in automotive history where owners flipped them as fast.

Best of luck on your sale. Carrera S is awesome but you might want to take a look at a Cayman S also.

:up:
I 'upgraded' from an Elise to an Esprit GT3 some time ago and it probably took about 6 months to realise that nothing would ever come close to those 5 hour weekend drives with just you and Elise. No other car matches the highs or the telepathic connection you get only with the Elise. I used to describe driving it as a form of meditation and an almost spiritual experience. (laugh if you will).
Winding Road this month called the Elise SC ''...arguably the finest car in the world...'' I went from the Esprit to a Boxster to a Carrera 4s to every variant of M3 etc and nothing came even close.
If you have to sell then you have to sell, but it will leave a hole in your life.
IMHO there is no car to 'upgrade' to after the Elise.
My theory is that every Elise owner who sells will some day make their way back to one.
It's that special and even dickedup knows it but is in denial.
just my $.02

·
Registered
68 Posts
i sold my elise 2003 rover last summer. i've never regretted anything so badly.
i bought a new one (2005 federal) in febuary this year.

my life is truely not worth living without my elise.

Go ahead and sell, but you most likely will be having sleepless nights or nightmares untill you get a car like the elise/exige back.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Matt, I met you about a year ago at the LOST meeting at Star Motor Cars and checked out your car. Man, DON'T SELL IT! Figure out some way (borrow, steal, work overtime, whatever) to get another car your wife can live with (or get rid of the wife). To everyone else, I've checked out Matt's car and, with all the neat Mods he's made, its one REAL COOL Elise. PLEASE don't do it Matt!

·
Registered
54 Posts
It is actually non of my business, but I have to let this out!!!

My advise:

If she wants you to give up a boy hobby,
she must quit a girl hobby too (i.e unnecessary shoes and make-up) :D ;) :D

WILL SHE? -poke-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Aw that sucks. Before you sell your Elise you might as well try to get your wife into cars (teaching her to drive a stick shift if she doesn't already know how would be a good start...), which might get her to appreciate a driving car over a "comfortable" one. If you do sell the car and switch to a Porsche, I'm also going to recommend the Cayman S. As you know from your Elise, it's much easier to drive a mid-engine car fast than a rear-engine car like a 911, and a Cayman S with optional 19" tires, PASM, sports chrono, etc. is said to have a better lap time than a stock Carrera S, and it's certainly cheaper. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edit: Also, if you can afford a Carrera S after your Elise is sold, you can certainly afford to buy a $15k to $40k DD for your wife and keep the Elise.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It is actually non of my business, but I have to let this out!!!

My advise:

If she wants you to give up a boy hobby,
she must quit a girl hobby too (i.e unnecessary shoes and make-up) :D ;) :D

WILL SHE?
+1 :up:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Matt, I met you about a year ago at the LOST meeting at Star Motor Cars and checked out your car. Man, DON'T SELL IT! Figure out some way (borrow, steal, work overtime, whatever) to get another car your wife can live with (or get rid of the wife). To everyone else, I've checked out Matt's car and, with all the neat Mods he's made, its one REAL COOL Elise. PLEASE don't do it Matt!
Yes I remember meeting you there and thanks for the kind words about my car. There's just no way I'm going to be able to keep two sports cars, my tundra, her car and a boat. I'm out of garage space! To get something new I'm going to have to give something up.

Well, I havent posted it for sale yet on any of the typical cars.com websites. I think I'm going to go out and wash her now. I'll sleep on it tonight and make my decision tomorrow...but I must say at this point, I'm leaning on letting her go...although I bet she is something I would miss greatly.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts