The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking to the guy working on my car.

What he wants to do it this... create a carbon fiber part that attaches to each "wing." If I had time/photoshop skills, I would show this... but try to visualize.

The part goes under the wing and wraps around the front, with perhaps 1" vertical being visible from the front. The front would taper down towards the side of the car ...sort of like a very elongated teardrop. The bottom would go back 6" or so to protect the wing. It would be adhered with 3M Very High Bond adhesive foam to provide some compression ability. He thinks th wrapping around the front will provide a very good clamping ability so that it won't get easily knocked off. And the use of tape also will mean you don't permanently do anything to your car. He strongly feels that this will work very well. If you did hit hard, you will probably just sacrifice the skidplate and have to replace it.

Possible negative is that you can see it, and it may not look that great. Hard to say. I don't mind I think, since I care more about the function than the aesthetics. You could also paint them.

Another idea is a one piece design that uses the 3 bolts located primarily under the license plate area and some foam. If you did this, you could make what is commonly seen on racing street cars. A splitter, not just a skid plate. A splitter that can extend out from the clam. This would be carbon fiber also.

Wing skid guards would cost about $200 in carbon fiber. If people wanted them painted, it maybe could be done in some other material for less. As the guy says... carbon fiber is not cheap and has to be done with care and skill to make it work right.

I think the one piece idea would be more since it uses more material.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Randy,

This sounds very similar in design to the polycarbonate ones (clear, but could be painted) shown to the group at LOG by Dave Simkin.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I like the pseduo-splitter idea the best. I know the latest GT3 uses a similar idea and the pieces are cheap (relatively) to replace and protect the front bodywork.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I like the idea, though, I'd like to see it before I give the ultimate yes. If it's hideous, I'm not too inclined to get it, if it's not so bad, a little extra protection is always welcome.

I'm not so sold on CF. Any material will do for me as long as it protects. Make it black fiberglass for all I care. If CF does actually provide more protection, fine, but I'm not into the look of CF for the look of CF, if you know what I mean.

edit: I, too, like the idea of the full spliter, but might be inclinced to get the teardrops if they don't look so bad, are cheaper, and offer the same protection.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I have seen the Lotus part that is in the works.

It is clear plastic and they will paint it body color on the inside. It should blend in very well. I am not sure when they will be available or what the cost will be.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
agreed. I would prefer a plastic part to a CF part, especially as I hope to sacrifice that piece to curbs in order to gain safe passage for the rest of the clam.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I am puzzled by the choice of CF for a project like this. Wouldn't it be more inclined to splinter and 'fray' as it gets abused?

The whole point is that this thing might see some concrete abrasion, so I'd like something that hides it as much as possible.

I'd rather have it cheap to replace than durable, if you know what I mean.

So long as it's unobtrusive, it can be black or clear.

I was thinking Delrin, like they make the motorcycle frame sliders out of.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i'm curious as to why this is necessary. is it just for scraping? I have found that the car is almost impossible to scrape as long as you take inclines/declines at a decent angle and slow speed. Maybe i am just very used to driving such a low car because the GT2 scrapes just about every time i drive it. I have not come even close to scraping the Elise yet. The front overhang is so short it is a non-issue.

Are you guys (and gal) having a different experience?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
This is the piece that is on the GT2. It is flexible plastic. Like i said, i scrape it everytime i drive the thing. After a while it gets fairly knicked up and then can be replaced for about $275.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
please stop posting pics of your GT2. I'm afraid I might short my computer with all this drool :)

I think scraping will be a bigger issue for those of us with LSS cars. Although, I have to agree that with the right technique you can drive into almost any driveway without scratching. I never scratched my celica and it only had 3.5 inches of front clearance.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I scraped again last night. I think I still might be driving too fast. Anything faster than a CRAWL over the entrance can become a scrape. What sucks is entering a parking lot, having to almost brake to a stop, and surprising that large vehicle behind you.

Loop, I will talk to him about alternate materials. Delrin would be nice, but then that would be a machined part? Yikes.

I would wait for the Lotus part... if I had any reason to think it would be coming very soon.

I do think the combined splitter as shown on the GT2 would be a more desirable solution..however for me, it would not be stock legal in SCCA. The skid plates would be.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Randy- Material aside, might want to take a different approach from whatever Lotus has plan (if we know). It'll give everyone more to choice from.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I scraped again last night. I think I still might be driving too fast. Anything faster than a CRAWL over the entrance can become a scrape. What sucks is entering a parking lot, having to almost brake to a stop, and surprising that large vehicle behind you.

Loop, I will talk to him about alternate materials. Delrin would be nice, but then that would be a machined part? Yikes.

I would wait for the Lotus part... if I had any reason to think it would be coming very soon.

I do think the combined splitter as shown on the GT2 would be a more desirable solution..however for me, it would not be stock legal in SCCA. The skid plates would be.
I agree with your view on the GT2. Here is a photo of the new REVERIE front spoiler available in November. Sector 111 will have it. Could this work for you?

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
designer said:
I agree with your view on the GT2. Here is a photo of the new REVERIE front spoiler available in November. Sector 111 will have it. Could this work for you?
Any clue what it'll be made out of? If it's fiberglass, forget about it. If it's soft and/or rubbery, then you definitely have my interest.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
That Reverie part may just make the problem worse as it seems to be about an inch lower.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Bah! Carbon fiber, plastics. Psfft. If you want real world protection, you need stainless steel. Like so:

;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
ace3 said:
Any clue what it'll be made out of? If it's fiberglass, forget about it. If it's soft and/or rubbery, then you definitely have my interest.
Material: 2x2 Twill Carbon Fibre
Finish: Polished Carbon

I would rather scatch this than the original front air dam.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
designer said:
Material: 2x2 Twill Carbon Fibre
Finish: Polished Carbon

I would rather scatch this than the original front air dam.
But if it's CF, you've got a good chance of cracking it if you hit it hard enough.

But, i see your point. it would be much nicer to scuff/scratch a replaceable part than something that's integrated into the front clam.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
designer said:
me like!! i wish the corners fit a bit better to straighten out the wheel opening.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts