The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been debating on purchasing in the US but after HST and duty charges it isn’t much different in price then this model available in Ontario.

Any opinions on this car. Anybody know it?

Low KMs Elise SC

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Everything looks pretty clean upon the pics. The only thing I can point out is the rear Lotus badge is the sticker ones vs the raised chrome letters. If I recall, 06+ cars came with the raised letters. It could've been changed as preference by POs. Or it was in an accident and repaired using the stickers. Who knows. Definitely get a PPI done. GLWS

Reactions: Bangerang

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback.

I emailed them and replied saying there is an insurance claim on the vehicle. Possibly why it has the sticker instead of chrome letters.

Im getting more information on the claim to see the extent of it. Hopefully its minor, maybe an opportunity to get the price down.

UPDATE: There was a 15k repair done in 2014 in the front left corner.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
For whatever its worth, my 2006 also have the stick on letters. Maybe its a Canadian thing. ?

The add says “Black interior” from the pictures that is obviously not true.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you think about the price as a fellow Canadian?

I have been doing the math and it does seem about 6-10k higher then if I import from the US but that is comparing to models that are not SC but also don't have an insurance claim.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’ve been debating on purchasing in the US but after HST and duty charges it isn’t much different in price then this model available in Ontario.

To my knowledge the Lotus brand as a whole is blocked for import to Canada until it qualifies under the 15-year rule. If you look up the "blacklisted" imports, the Exige and Elise is on it.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/motorvehiclesafety/vafus.pdf

What do you think about the price as a fellow Canadian?

The price is good for the km's, and the fact that it's SC'd. The 15k hit would be a point I'd pick at if you are looking seriously at the car. This car has also been on their lot for a year or a bit more, so it is well into the realm of costing the dealer money. It has also likely been there that long due to the claim.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To my knowledge the Lotus brand as a whole is blocked for import to Canada until it qualifies under the 15-year rule. If you look up the "blacklisted" imports, the Exige and Elise is on it.

Wow some how I missed that they are black listed for import. Thanks for the info!

The price is good for the km's, and the fact that it's SC'd. The 15k hit would be a point I'd pick at if you are looking seriously at the car. This car has also been on their lot for a year or a bit more, so it is well into the realm of costing the dealer money. It has also likely been there that long due to the claim.
Do you think the 15k hit is something of concern? I've read that minor fender benders can cause serious damage due to the body style.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Wow some how I missed that they are black listed for import. Thanks for the info!

[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Do you think the 15k hit is something of concern? I've read that minor fender benders can cause serious damage due to the body style.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am assuming that there was no chassis damage when I go through the rest of this reply. If there was chassis damage, don't do it.

If you intend to buy the car and never get rid of it, then as long as the chassis is straight, I think you're fine. Most everything can be fixed or modified at that corner. The challenge will be if you ever decide you want to sell the car. As a buyer of a car with a claim on it, I either avoid it altogether or severely discount what I would pay for it initially.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am assuming that there was no chassis damage when I go through the rest of this reply. If there was chassis damage, don't do it.

If you intend to buy the car and never get rid of it, then as long as the chassis is straight, I think you're fine. Most everything can be fixed or modified at that corner. The challenge will be if you ever decide you want to sell the car. As a buyer of a car with a claim on it, I either avoid it altogether or severely discount what I would pay for it initially.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Ya I think that is a pretty fair assessment. Resale would probably take a hit, still tempting. I don't see many SC's on the market.

I'm wondering for the 15 year rule for importing, a 2005 would qualify but I cannot find on the VIN what month the car is manufactured.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Ya I think that is a pretty fair assessment. Resale would probably take a hit, still tempting. I don't see many SC's on the market.

I'm wondering for the 15 year rule for importing, a 2005 would qualify but I cannot find on the VIN what month the car is manufactured.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Any opinions on this car. Anybody know it?

Low KMs Elise SC
I think the price is on the higher end but actually reasonable given the fact that it is a SC and comes with a hard top (seen in one of the pictures). I paid (overpaid) CAD 50K (prior taxes) for a mint condition 2007 Elise NA with 26K km in 2018. I don’t get to enjoy the car too much. Very impractical car for the GTA. Ask yourself if you really want it... IMO, If you’re not planning on tracking your Elise think twice. It will be sitting in your garage Nov-April. And you will be afraid to park it in parallel. I’m considering trading in my Elise for an Aston Martin Vantage GT if I find it more practical as a daily summer car. Anyways, if you end up buying it- have fun!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Un
I think the price is on the higher end but actually reasonable given the fact that it is a SC and comes with a hard top (seen in one of the pictures). I paid (overpaid) CAD 50K (prior taxes) for a mint condition 2007 Elise NA with 26K km in 2018. I don’t get to enjoy the car too much. Very impractical car for the GTA. Ask yourself if you really want it... IMO, If you’re not planning on tracking your Elise think twice. It will be sitting in your garage Nov-April. And you will be afraid to park it in parallel. I’m considering trading in my Elise for an Aston Martin Vantage GT if I find it more practical as a daily summer car. Anyways, if you end up buying it- have fun!
Unfortunately it’s a soft top :( I think if I could pick it up for 50k I would be happy since it’s a S.C. but that is a big drop from their list price. I still think it’s kind of expensive for repair title.

That being said they have also had the car for over a year so we will see. Going to look at it this weekend.

I’m not using it as a daily driver as I have a company vehicle. It’s just a fun summer car to rip around it. I’m southern Ontario so no GTA issues here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Un

Unfortunately it’s a soft top :( I think if I could pick it up for 50k I would be happy since it’s a S.C. but that is a big drop from their list price. I still think it’s kind of expensive for repair title.

That being said they have also had the car for over a year so we will see. Going to look at it this weekend.

I’m not using it as a daily driver as I have a company vehicle. It’s just a fun summer car to rip around it. I’m southern Ontario so no GTA issues here.
I second many of Toronto’s thoughts. I don’t believe that 50k is too much though. These cars are on an upswing and have actually increased in value here in Canada over the last four years.

As for the rest, I feel it’s pretty spot on. Know that these are harder cars to live with if you aren’t prepared for all that come with them. I daily mine during the summer, and love the hell out of it, but I also autocross mine to really keep that feeling alive. That said... the Lexus LC500 has been twisting my arm recently.

A good set of convex multi view mirrors help with parking, and are in my mind, an essential mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you see the 2008 SC in the Canadian auto trader.
Don't know anything about the car.
I think he tried to sell it last year.

I don’t like the spoiler they have on there. Not my style.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I second many of Toronto’s thoughts. I don’t believe that 50k is too much though. These cars are on an upswing and have actually increased in value here in Canada over the last four years.

As for the rest, I feel it’s pretty spot on. Know that these are harder cars to live with if you aren’t prepared for all that come with them. I daily mine during the summer, and love the hell out of it, but I also autocross mine to really keep that feeling alive. That said... the Lexus LC500 has been twisting my arm recently.

A good set of convex multi view mirrors help with parking, and are in my mind, an essential mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve just been comparing to the US market. After exchange, tax and duty etc...You can pick up a soft top with a about 60-80k KMs for about 10-15k less then this one. Obviously without S.C.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts