The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I found this article on jalopnik
Link
And it makes me wonder why lotus is targeting this metric, I started to think that they are dodging the future tesla roadsters 0-60 time which will be unbeatable if there space x package is real.
But am I alone in thinking that if lotus is going to make a hyper car it should be light weight and paired with a high reving cosworth?
I'm worried that none of the driving dynamics for an ev monster will pass down to whatever I can afford 10 years from now where as if they re-made an esprit with a twin turbo v8 for modern times it would beat out the c8 Corvette which is the car that currently has my eye.
I'm worried that a remade esprit with an electric power plant will be too heavy and ultimately be worse than a model s even with evija advancements...

Also I'm worried that I dont know how to fix electric ****, so pair that with a marginal dealer network and...

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I think someone will eventually come out with an "analogue" electric car - lightweight by sacrificing power and range, handling that is more than just sticky tires, tactile, etc - but it doesn't look like Lotus plans on being that someone. Who knows, maybe they will and then that would be pretty fun. Not as fun as a Cosworth, but for all my mechanical bravery, I'd find a Cosworth more daunting to work on than a Williams EM.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
A 10 year old Tesla Roadster weighs 100 pounds more than the v6 Exige S and has similar 0-60 times.

Most of the Tesla sedans out there can keep up with you in the stop light gran prix, and some can kick your butt

I don't think the evolution to electric cars is the end of the world

·
Registered
394 Posts
0-60 is like bragging about your stones.....which means little in the real world. A car that can burn rubber in 3rd gear is a better idea.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
I am still waiting for a true usable 400 mile range EV. My trip is 373 miles. Then I can use it to travel to vacation home, plugin, travel back home, plug in. Until then they are a commuter car. My daily commute is only 22 mile roundtrip and its fun so long live gas...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Honestly is 0-60 even impressive anymore? Even in an combustion engine its not really that impressive anymore. Seems almost every new sports/muscle car over $50k is sub 4 seconds. Many sub 3.5. I am unsure how going 0 - 60 in 2 seconds is really important or even impressive in an electric car? It sounds as if Lotus is concentrating more on the track speed acceleration than 0 - 60.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think 0 to 60 is impressive, because it covers most of crappy merging onto highways. And sub 4 seconds shouldn't affect normal driving. If someone in a tesla model s p100d, jumped out in front of me I'd still naturally hit the breaks...

And 0 to 186 would be cool to feel. I probably just have to experience it.

I like the idea of a 100 mile light weight EV maybe add a towable battery trailer option for long range driving? Like if it could tow track tires and an extra charge on a special trailer it would be pretty sweet. Use the trailer as a whole home battery when you just do your normal commuting and swap it in for long trips/track days. Pop it off on the track and then back on to get home...

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I think 0 to 60 is impressive, because it covers most of crappy merging onto highways.
But it actually doesn't. 5-60mph does, and I think it was Road and Track that recently did an article on how wildly those two tests vary. That 0-5 makes a shocking difference and comes down entirely to traction management. Being able to dig out from a stop is where EVs really shine and get their crazy numbers.

Here's a good summary from various sources, including that R&T article: Why 0-60 Times Don't Matter in the Real World | MotorBiscuit

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
So your one way is 6 hours and that is what you consider a normal trip?
5:20-5:30 routine non stop, unless we do an occasional meal.

Many of us are destination travelers that efficiently get from point A to point B.

Back on point. Evira is a future design language exercise that showcases the technology potential. Take it out for a weekend driveand feel guilt freeabout wasting gas or HC emissions. If future models use this design language we are in LUCK!!! They are shooting for superlative numbers because that is all many comprehend.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Electric loses so much of what I appreciate....Sound (other than road noise) - GONE, Smells - GONE, tactile engineering of mechanical parts all working together in harmony - GONE. Things to look forward to - more software and blue screens of death while being helpless to do anything. More passwords and usernames. More of someone else tracking my do's and don'ts without me knowing. More recording of me and my loved one's every moves and then deciding what is best for me. Very slippery slope! I've read and seen many stories already of Tesla turning options on/off through their beautiful software uplinks and updates.....
Definitely not for me but what do I know? :unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,557 Posts
Apex: The story of the Hypercar

Is a very good watch on the subject. Shot well also. I think it is on Netflix

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I think it's perfect for Lotus right now.
It's where the world is going so it shows its a leader.
If its the lightest and fastest ev then its a win (even if it weighs a lot) as it shows that Lotus is light (same goes for the suv).
A high revving v whatever would be white noise, with the AMG1, Valkyire etc coming out. Lotus is reinventing itself so can't afford to get lost in the comparsions and these other products. The EV will seperate them and it will get a bunch of press all to itself.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
I bet the same people knocking Evija are the same folks still stuck in manual land. I am about to enter the dark side with an IPS. It will see track time eventually ( if wife lets me touch it)...seems when I touch things....they get "upgraded". Point is, you can't mock change if you haven't experienced it. I intend to wait and see ehat the new model is all about. Thre will always be a 400/410/430/GT out there waiting for track duty. Give change a chance.

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
My daily is 11 years old and it's time but I'm really at sea about what to get. My wife keeps saying Tesla while I'd been thinking Guilia Quad or M2. I understand why she thinks electric would work for me. The daily is just that, a daily. Two hundred fifty, three hundred miles is plenty in my case since I can charge at home, and I'll only use the car in crappy weather and to run errands and park in mall lots. Will they still have malls when this is all over, anyway? We have other cars for distance work anyway. Am I thinking electric would work for me despite my general disinterest in the thing? I am.

I don't see the Evija except as a statement and technology showcase. It would have been far more interesting to me if they showcased something I could aspire to so I actually hope it's a statement of technological prowess rather than the direction the company sees itself taking for the future. It's a cliche to say nobody I know will buy the thing which is the case, but ultimately it isn't that interesting to me anyway. Not because it's electric, not because it's about speed over purity, but because it is beyond the scope of reasonable aspiration and offers even less utility. Call it an art installation and don't even bother with the running gear and I'm just fine if that's all it ever was.

Anybody can design something fabulous on an unlimited budget. It takes sweat, time and talent to do it to a price. I truly hope they do well with it and then direct their attention to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts