The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a story of how much better my car pulls to 140 mph on back roads or how much more planted it is at 100 on the expressway exit ramp. My wife and kids are on those roads, for those of you who are benchmarking your new go fast goodies that way I sure hope it’s not around here. It is a story that’s short and sweet about my benchmark, lap times. In this case as measured by TraqMate during the Laps Incorporated HPDE day at Road America this past Monday & Tuesday. I’m sure there are folks with far more sophisticated data than this but it’s what I’ve got and what I’m willing to share.
I made the mistake of changing two variables at once so I’m not going to try to guess which impacted the results by how much but overall I’m really happy with how things played out. The car is reasonably stock, no power mods, no suspension (yet), just safety and longevity stuff. Previous best lap time was a 2:50.0; throughout the two days after the triple shroud & 5 element install clean laps were consistently in the 2:47-2:48 range. Last session, run with LT’s very own Zinhead, managed to get down to a 2:45.2. Saving nearly 5 seconds between the two, that’s money well spent in my book.
The fact that my best lap times of each session were consistently at least 3-4 laps into it tells me that the triple shroud was doing its job. At some point I would like to go back and look at the before and after numbers for lateral G Force & speed through the carousel which I’m guessing would be telling for effectiveness of the 5 element but just haven’t done that yet. Next up: Autobahn full track mid-month & Blackhawk Farms at the end of the month (hopefully with Nitron singles mounted and corner balanced by then!)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And yes, what I mistakenly called the RLS Triple Shroud is really the RLS Three Chamber Shroud...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Great to hear Ken!! Thanks for sharing the feedback on products. Always great to hear peoples reviews, un biased and real!!.

T.J.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It is interesting data, and not bad times at RA!

Honestly though aren't there other variables that could have changed there? The big ones that come to mind are the driver, and air temps. IAT ignition trimming and air density alone (due to colder air for example) could make a decent difference in power output. At RA increased power output could certainly translate into measurably faster times. As I'm sure you know, RA is *primarily* a horsepower track.

So while I'm pretty sure those parts did in fact make the car faster. I'm not convinced it is those parts exactly that make your car 5 seconds faster at RA. Maybe with more data than a single track event I would think you could have some statistical significance.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
majority of your quickness is attributed to the shroud. Keeping the IATs low makes a big difference.

·
Registered
592 Posts
majority of your quickness is attributed to the shroud. Keeping the IATs low makes a big difference.
The majority of his quickness is due to Ken's mad driving skilz. Here is video from the weekend with me running with a Corvette. It was a great day at the track.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Road America is a tough track for a lotus...to many long straights. My 3 shroud/intercooler rls setup heat soaked by the end of lap 4. Running 2:34-2:35 laps.

Typically I get 2 laps more out of the rls setup then stock which for TT is just enough for tires to be hot and turn a decent time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts