1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
228 Posts
Interesting. $9999 due at signing is ridiculous. At the end of the 39 months, you will be out $53-55k. If you bought the GT instead of leasing, the hit at the end of 39 months will be lower. Given Lotus's dealer network incompetence, I don't think leasing offers any material benefits as far as service and after sales care goes, so it comes down to just numbers.

·
Premium Member
2011 Lotus Evora
90 Posts
It shows how much depreciation really is — total cost over 39 months is $53,000 and at the end you have to give the car back!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Here is my question. The lease is for 39 months, not 36. Not sure why because the car has a 3 year warranty. If you lease does the warranty extend to 39 months? What happens if your engine blew up at month 37? Would you be financially responsible? I never heard of a car where the warranty is shorter than the lease.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
If you can somehow run it through a company or live in a state where there is tax advantage, it can make sense. And in a time of possible Big depreciation, you at least know where you will stand in three years.

And for many boys who like toys, you let them have it back in two years (even less?) for the latest shiny one.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Here is my question. The lease is for 39 months, not 36. Not sure why because the car has a 3 year warranty. If you lease does the warranty extend to 39 months? What happens if your engine blew up at month 37? Would you be financially responsible? I never heard of a car where the warranty is shorter than the lease.
Same for the allowed miles. Say you have 2500 a year. Seems like way too little. So run up 6000 in a year and trade it in for the new new one. That warranty discrepency won’t matter.

These are not like my daily Honda that I love and will keep ‘till one of us is no more.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lotus USA has changed up the details for the lease program now offering a $0 down, $1286 / month for 48 months. Introducing the new Evora GT – Lotus Cars

Quote for a 2020 Lotus Evora GT. Payment of $1286 per month x 48 months is based on an adjusted capitalized cost of $96,900 (selling price of $96,900, less $0 customer down). Actual MSRP or selling price may vary. Cash due at signing includes $0 down payment, $1286 initial month’s rent, $995 acquisition fee and $1425 security deposit. Lessee responsible for insurance during the lease term, excess wear and tear as defined in the lease contract, $0.50/mile over 5,000 miles per year and a disposition fee of $495 at lease end. Tax, title, license, registration and dealer fees are additional fees due at signing. Advertised payment does not include applicable taxes. Purchase option at lease end, excluding tax, title and government fees, is $48,450. Subject to credit approval by primary lender. See dealer representative for details.
Buying out at the end
$61,728 (1286 x 48) + $48,450 (purchase at end) + $995 (acquisition) = $111,173 on a $96,900 MSRP car

Lease and return
$61,728 (1286 x 48) + $995 (acquisition) + $495 (disposition fee) = $63,218 on a $96,900 MSRP car (65%)

50% hit in 4 years seems a bit much.

·
Scott M
280 Posts
50% depreciation in 4 years? Yeah, I have no idea for cars like this. I know the best residual I can recall for stuff we lease at work (I/we sell FCA brands, but not Fiat) is 50% at 36 months for a Grand Cherokee at 12k/yr iirc.

·
Loves to talk
954 Posts
I'm curious just how many takes they've had on the lease program but I'm willing to bet a modest sum it's between damn few and none. It made no sense to me when I reviewed it. They need their own back or one that will work closely with them such as BMW, GM et al have if they are to create competitive financing schemes. Is there actually ANYBODY on LT who leased an Evora? Anybody?

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
Arguing about lease v buy on Stelvio forum. Some guy took my numbers where I showed how I climbed the ownership ladder over the years and mangled them.

Realize my 2011 Evora S listed for 89500.
Bought it for 50K
50K is low average number to sell at. So 9 yrs in, thanks to the appreciation of the new models, I have only got a 10K loss on my hands.
That lease program is for a true lollipop. These vehicles are holding their values VERY well!!

·
Loves to talk
954 Posts
Not if you return the car, then it's an extremely expensive proposition. And if you are planning to keep it, you might as well just buy it outright unless the tax advantage balances out the extra cost to lease because there is extra cost going that way. In addition, you can negotiate pricing with a lot more freedom buying versus leasing so your $96K list GT is almost certainly going to cost you less than $96K when buying outright.

For the average stiff, if you are keeping the car buying is cheaper.

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
Exactly

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Vehicle leasing is a business practice that has bled into personal cars
if you have 100k cash to buy a car, as a business there are still more useful things to do with 100k in cash
There are also tax implications. IRS might not like 100k sports car purchase, but thinks nothing of 1200 a month rent

There are reasons to lease, low upfront money being the biggest

·
Loves to talk
954 Posts
Indeed, but only if the lease terms are favorable and typically, if you aren't going to keep the car. If you do buy the car outright and actually use it for business, you can still depreciate it (up to a point) and deduct whatever share of the costs accrue to the business. And nobody says you can't finance a car you are buying and usually, at a better rate by comparison to the money factor most luxury leases offer.

I'm not saying leasing doesn't make sense in particular circumstances but rather that it is rarely the cheapest way to actually buy the car. You do it when you don't want to buy the car! In any case, this lease doesn't look that attractive to me but hopefully Lotus will find some people to whom it does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts