The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have any thoughts on the Noble GTO3-R? I am thinking of ditching the Elise altogether and saving a bit more for for this.

I sat in one last May and was quite impressed. The car is maybe 200lbs heavier than an Elise and has 352 hp. It has been described as the best handling car on the planet and is lightning fast. Faster than a 911 turbo, viper, any Ferrari short of the Enzo. I am planning to test drive on sometime this spring. Prices complete run about 70-75K.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is sold in the USA through 1gracing. The car is registered as a kit-car, but is far from it.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Jon said:
Anyone here have any thoughts on the Noble GTO3-R? I am thinking of ditching the Elise altogether and saving a bit more for for this.

I sat in one last May and was quite impressed. The car is maybe 200lbs heavier than an Elise and has 352 hp. It has been described as the best handling car on the planet and is lightning fast. Faster than a 911 turbo, viper, any Ferrari short of the Enzo. I am planning to test drive on sometime this spring. Prices complete run about 70-75K.
The Noble is awesome. It is a true supercar. Very very quick 3.4 sec 0-60 in Europe 0-100 in the ~8 seconds. Top speed around 180 mph. It can pull more than 1.15 Gs in the skid pad. It is like an Elise with 350 Bhp. 1gracing imports them and they are to my knowledge street legal.

Yes I want one, more than the Elise? Maybe, all thing being equal a Noble GTO will crush the Elise at any track you go to. Porsche, Viper, Z06, Ferrari, Lamborghini beware. It has your number too, and a long straight track will only mean you meet your undoing that much quicker. Noble is king of the pack and destroys most anything under $400k.

Yes the king is Noble, but what about service? Warranty (if it matters)? If these things were figured out I may have to find a way to be Noble too.

http://www.1gracing.com

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've met Dean Rosen of 1gracing and spoke with his father Ron on the phone. The cars get imported directly from South Africa. You can get them painted any of about a dozen colors with lots of varying interior options either leather or alcantara in multiple colors. The car then gets its engine and drivetrain installed in the USA.

I asked about reliability and was told by Ron that his car has been driven a hard 12,000 miles w/o a flaw. Many of the parts such as the brakes, engine and drivetrain are sourced within the USA. The car uses AP racing brakes.

Had I been more knowledgeable about the Noble before my viper purchase, I would have bought it instead. I won't sell my viper, but will likely add the Noble in the future. Hopefully within 2 yrs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Modern Wedgie said:
It is the coolest car! Handles like an elise, only its A LOT faster. And the sound of the turbos kicking in is enough to make your heart pitter patter.

Didnt get to drive one, but went out on the track with it. Here's a link to the thread and the car I was in on the track Brands Hatch Track Day with SELOC
I'm more than jealous that you got to ride in one. I can't wait to thrash it out on the road this spring.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
From the specs it appears that the car is more like 400 pounds heavier. (2380 lb listed on the website).

Thomas

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Meh...I'd rather get the elise for $40,000 then spend $3,000 to build the stock engine into a MONSTER . Then spend about $4000 and throw csutom turbo on it. I'll go faster,cost less and look better.

Cheers
Jenn

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OneFastMiata said:
Meh...I'd rather get the elise for $40,000 then spend $3,000 to build the stock engine into a MONSTER . Then spend about $4000 and throw csutom turbo on it. I'll go faster,cost less and look better.

Cheers
Jenn
I'll have to disagree on the faster and it won't handle better either. The Noble actually is capable of 420hp or so with different ECU mapping.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I've been told quality is top notch on the Noble. I like the looks but prefer the looks of the Liz. The Noble is far faster than the Liz will ever be and the new MT400 (Track focused version) will be faster still. But it is more $$$ and does not have the dealer service network that Lotus has (never thought I’d get to say that in a good way).

The Noble will however, as previously stated,spank virtually everything under $400k. The Liz may win the beauty contest (for the poser out there) and I'm not wild about the interior, but bye bye on the track.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Jon said:
I'll have to disagree on the faster and it won't handle better either. The Noble actually is capable of 420hp or so with different ECU mapping.

Im making 400 horsepower with a BONE STOCK internaled 1.8 liter miata motor. You think I couldnt make a fully built Toyota motor make mad power? I'd be willing to make bets. :)

Theres a guy in this region who autocrosses a blue noble, it just never did it for me.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Im making 400 horsepower with a BONE STOCK internaled 1.8 liter miata motor. You think I couldnt make a fully built Toyota motor make mad power? I'd be willing to make bets. :)
Yes. Not without blowing it up. If you do... Good... :DDo tell how. However, I very much doubt you can.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I dont understand what you're asking me? Are you telling me I cant make power with a built Elise motor, or are you telling me I cant make power with a bone stock miata motor?

After the LSD thread and now your "doubt" in this thread Im starting to wonder what exactly you know about cars?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
I dont understand what you're asking me? Are you telling me I cant make power with a built Elise motor, or are you telling me I cant make power with a bone stock miata motor?

After the LSD thread and now your "doubt" in this thread Im starting to wonder what exactly you know about cars?
I doubt you can safely get 400 bhp out of the Elise's Toyo engine.

PS: After your posting about 400 bhp form this engine I'm starting to wonder what you know about cars also?

1 - 20 of 99 Posts