The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys - long time listener, first time caller. I'm just getting into the market for a 2007 Exige S. From what I've read on these forums, it seems the market is pretty well defined, good clean cars to sell for $39-$43K; exceptional cars $45 and higher.

I found the following car on eBay not far from my house. Seems like a good car with a nice amount of "new" parts, supercharger, nitron shocks and some other bits. Couple of issues, high mileage compared to what I see selling on these message boards, sellers price seems a bit high, a couple of nicks. The owner seems like a great guy and had receipts for everything and was knowledgeable. All work performed by Intermecanica in Mamaronek NY.

I'd love to see what you guys think of this car and what a fair price is. Should I Stay away from high mileage cars? Thanks

Lotus Exige Star Shield Touring Pack Traction Control | eBay
I think the seller is also on these message board as "Gription".

Thanks - Anthony

·
Monaco Dreamin'
461 Posts
Car looks good. My only concern is why he put all that money into it, the car has over 70k miles and he only put 400 more into it...

·
Registered
505 Posts
car looks very nice
I wouldnt be too concerned about mileage
My 2005 exige has 14,000kms on it and is like new from the factory,ive also seen a few with 50,000 in the same condition,,ive also seen cars with 5,000kms that are trashed
It all comes down to how its been cared for,treat each car on its own merits :)

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
car looks very nice
I wouldnt be too concerned about mileage
My 2005 exige has 14,000kms on it and is like new from the factory,ive also seen a few with 50,000 in the same condition,,ive also seen cars with 5,000kms that are trashed
It all comes down to how its been cared for,treat each car on its own merits :)
At 14,000 kms on your car, that is about 8700 miles. This car has 70,000+ miles. BIG difference.

·
Registered
505 Posts
At 14,000 kms on your car, that is about 8700 miles. This car has 70,000+ miles. BIG difference.
read my reply
"ive also seen a few with 50,000 in the same condition"

same **** different day,it doesnt change what is said,take each car on its own merit
Mileage doesnt mean anything,you actually realise how easy it is to change the mileage on a car :),its cond that counts

in the end ,the original poster should go and check the car out and make his own decision if its a car worthy of buying rather than people judging photos and descriptions and have never laid eyes on it (in my opinion)

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
read my reply
"ive also seen a few with 50,000 in the same condition"

same **** different day,it doesnt change what is said,take each car on its own merit
Mileage doesnt mean anything,you actually realise how easy it is to change the mileage on a car :),its cond that counts

in the end ,the original poster should go and check the car out and make his own decision if its a car worthy of buying rather than people judging photos and descriptions and have never laid eyes on it (in my opinion)
Read your whole post the first time...50,000 KMS is STILL only 31,000 miles, far less than half of what is on this car.

Yeah, I know how 'easy' it is to turn back mileage (especially on an older analog odo). A Subaru dealer did that to me once, it cost him.

Of course condition and care are everything, but you said to not be concerned about mileage. The first question asked of almost any used car purchase is 'how many miles does it have?'

It's THE starting point in buying a used car, then you go down the decision tree (in no particular order) relative to how it was used, cared for, mods, how long it sat, documentation, getting an appropriate PPI, seeing it in person, etc.

But your point is taken about mileage. Your car for example, 9 years old and averaging less than 1000 miles a year. No matter how immaculate it looks (it should look good, it's barely been driven around the block), it sitting more than moving for nearly 10 years might give a prospective buyer pause.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Car looks good. My only concern is why he put all that money into it, the car has over 70k miles and he only put 400 more into it...
+1 ... I'd be taking a close look into this... maybe he got stuck in a financial rut? But that seems strange that he'd be able to afford $25k in upgrades over only a few months and 400 miles... and then want to sell it.

Just to add on about mileage... 70k miles on this engine isn't THAT bad from a reliability standpoint (Toyota engine) ... but keep in mind, you're not looking at a Toyota Corolla. These are exotic sports cars made in low numbers. People don't want them to be very high mileage, unless they're getting it for a steal of a deal. Just something to keep in mind. Take a look at the price of a 10k mile Ferrari versus a 70k mile Ferrari... similar buyers with similar habits (just slightly bigger pockets sometimes).

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
I'd be much more concerned about the reliability of the 2 ECU tunes included with this modified motor (330whp on E85). Hmmm, no tune source is even listed.

·
Elige, Evora, Rossion
292 Posts
Hi All,
Sorry, wasn't aware of the conversations on the thread.
I also have an 88 Lotus Esprit Turbo. I need to simplify. I have a number of cars and it's gotten a bit out of control. Thankfully, no financial hardship, just spending way too much time on these cars and less with the wife and family - and my job. 2 for 1, staying in the Lotus family by getting an Evora.

The car lived in California for 99% of it's life. 1 owner. Daily driver. It was normally aspirated. I sold my Elise and put that money into this Exige. I added the Lotus S kit. Among many other additions. The engine, which has 400 miles on it since I bought it, can run both E85 and Pump gas. No changes need to be made. To get the best performance a new tune on the existing ecu would be required or one could get a second ecu and tune it.
Jermaine Riddick from GarageLine sales performed the tune. For those on the forum in the Northeast, he is one of the more respected and well known at his craft. I did purchase another ecu and had planned on tuning it to run both field optimally.
There is an ebay listing that includes everything serviced and upgraded, such as difflow 5 element diffuser, 2010 exige roof, boe - 5 exhaust, upgraded Bluetooth, alpine audio system, hid low and high beams, new rotors, new toyo R888 (about 300 miles old), race brake pads and street pads, metal braided brake lines, carbon fiber has cover, new 3m star shield. (Took the previous star shield off). And much more.

The previous owner - for 69,000 plus miles never tracked the car. I have done driving safety school to get the feel for it. Thought I would use it for heavy track use. For reasons mentioned above, I am not.
The car is truly is phenomenal condition.
The car will run for many more years. And very well.
Clean and clear title and car fax. Of the 338 imported to us in 2006, in don't know how many are registered or carry a salvaged title.
For the right person, this is the perfect car. Happy to field any questions. 917-664-5651
See ebay listing
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221507345023

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Elige, Evora, Rossion
292 Posts
Very well said. Thanks for the informed reply. I have seen 2008 Exiges with 25,000 miles, every one of them on the track, and they look like they have been through a war. My car was driven in Irvine, CA for 7 years on the Freeway as a naturally aspirated vehicle, never tracked. These cars, as the forum members know, should not sit. Especially Lotuses. They need and want to run. The fluids and all the parts need activity. When I see cars with super low miles over a 7 or 8 year, or even 20+ year period in the case of an Esprit Turbo or other earlier Lotus, that raises an eyebrow or two. It says that the car has likely been sitting at some point for a long time without much if any use. The Elise and the Exige has reliable drivetrains and engines. Generally fewer miles = greater value. But one has to dig a bit deeper. Not all miles are the same. And similarly performing Exiges are nearly 1.5 to 2x the price. Thanks again for the thoughtful reply on the thread. I wanted to add a bit more color.

·
Elige, Evora, Rossion
292 Posts
There is 1 tune on the vehicle. It was performed in April by Jermaine Riddick from GarageLine Sales. He performs tunes up and down the east coast. I own another ECU that can be tuned for regular (premium unleaded) gas. The engine and all its components will run both. The buyer would get the second ECU. To be clear, even with the current tune for E85 on the car, it will run regular (premium unleaded) gas. It is just not optimized for it.
Hope this clears it up a bit. Since the tune, the car has run about 400 miles give or take a few.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts