The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking about getting an esprit, this one has higher miles and isn't perfect but looks to be well maintained (C service within last 10k miles- 4 years ago) and is actually being sold by the owner rather than a dealer.

SORRY I FORGOT THE LINK ;)

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4564413162.html

Thoughts on car/ price? Does have some paint missing on front bumper and clear coat missing near passenger window. Drivers side leather is worn but doesn't look ripped.

Thanks

Tom

·
Super Moderator
4,177 Posts
Could you post a URL or description of the car? If you have a VIN, some folks here may be familiar with the particular Esprit.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Need to see the ad, or need a lot more detail.

Also, please define higher mileage. Mileage is a GOOD thing; sitting is really bad for cars like this.

·
Registered
902 Posts
And the C-service was 10k ago, but how about time wise? It is one thing if that 10k ago was two or three years, but it is another thing if it was ten years ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I inquired about this car....this is what the owner said:

I believe the paint work is original. I'm not the first owner so I can't say for sure. I'll be honest the paint is not perfect, there are some "chips" but it's amazing for a car this age. I'll get you shots off the interior and engine today. The driver's seat by the door is worn from use, as is the boot around the shifter. Other than that it's clean. Garage by me and the previous owner (that's about 10 years as I recall). The "C" level maintenance was done 4 years, 10,000 miles ago, at which points the belts were changed. The AC belt was just changed with the new compressor. I drove it last Sunday all day long and everything worked fine.

·
Registered
576 Posts
A '93 should go between $16-$21k depending on condition.

Mileage? I do not agree that low mileage is a bad thing. Lower is better IF THE CAR IS MAINTAINED AND DRIVEN OR PROPERLY STORED.
What is the age and condition of tires?

In my opinion the condition of the paint is very important to the pricing. The leather much less so.

A good paint job starts at $7000.

So if there is significant clear coat damage on any major body panels, the car should be discounted substantially. If the front or rear bumpers or air dam need paint, that is only a modest issue.

Randy

·
Banned
938 Posts
Nice car.
Looks like the rear end is a bit low.
Your wheels are the same as mine. They look waaay better in a type of gun metal color.
M.E

·
Ticket Magnet
1,056 Posts
That looks like one that was for sale South of Portland, Roseburg?, several months ago. If it is the same one, it was not originally red. I forget what color it was, but that is easy to find out. Ask him/her how long they have owned the car and if it was originally a different color. It may be the same owner listing/selling in another area or a new owner who found out what he bought.
GLWP

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's my car. I just moved to Portland so its not the same one listed any time ago. It has not been repainted. For history you can check all my previous posts here. I posted every question or issue I had with the car on this forum (including questions about it before I bought it). The "C" service was done 4 years ago by the previous owner just before I got the car. The rear suspension is new as of 2 years ago. It's not low. The tires are brand new, bought them last year when I had the tank repaired and have less than 200 miles on them. Except for last year, the car has never sat in the garage (well except during long periods of snow or rain). There also isn't any significant clear coat damage. The only damage is about 1" by 3" on the passenger door ledge by the window that has been there since I owned the car. When I said chips, I probably used a bad term. It's not really chipped paint or clear coat.

·
Registered
184 Posts
One more thing, you can see my previous posts about thinking of selling it and then deciding not to and shipping it out to Portland. You might be wondering what changed my mind when I got here. It's not that I have more problems with the car, its because I am upset with having to drive a special route (and remembering to do so) to get to and from my house. I live in a hilly section and there is only one way in/out (that I have found) where the streets don't have a V (down/up) like intersection (which I feel will cause the car to bottom out or worse get stuck). That and the weekend before last I drove a "scenic" route only to get suck in bumper to bumper traffic for about an hour (by the falls along the columbia river). Not what I bargained for....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts