The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Looking at the picture I'm 80% that it's the pan gasket and the wind is blowing the oil up into the front of the timing cover. It's more of just an oil film on the upper sections and much more concentrated down low around the pan gasket.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I'm inclined to think the boot for CV Joint has a tear and that's CV lube that's flung off. Can be confirmed by looking at the areas on the other side of the half shaft.

Kiyoshi

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Spray the area with Brake Clean, wipe it all down and watch the area closely every day to determine the location of the leak.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm inclined to think the boot for CV Joint has a tear and that's CV lube that's flung off. Can be confirmed by looking at the areas on the other side of the half shaft.

Kiyoshi
You reckon? It looks too clean and thin for that. When ive had boots go (even the slightest) it makes a ridiculous mess. Splatters everywhere.

Spray the area with Brake Clean, wipe it all down and watch the area closely every day to determine the location of the leak.
Second this. Then youll know for sure.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Clean and inspect, oil pan gasket is my vote, possible #2 (hehe) is the timing chain cover. That has 4 ”soff points” that require RTV from factory that can leak. Unfortunately, you have to remove all of the pulleys to replace/reseal it :( if that is where it is coming from, you could always smear some RTV over the top and hope for the best, definitely a ghetto fix...

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
340 Posts
Yeah, oil pan gasket is my vote here also. CV boot would be more thicker....,

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,372 Posts
That stock oil pan is really on there, not sure how many of them develop leaks. I'd think a CJ would be a bigger mess to unless it just got hot enough to leak out the end some and it just started. Clean it well and watch. Does it feel/smell like oil or is it too dirty now to tell what kind of fluid it is?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I'm quite certain that it is not axle grease from a leaking/torn CV boot. If it were, you'd get a spray pattern that is 360 degrees as the axle spins and flings grease outward. Plus it wouldn't be in a diffuse sheet, it would be lots of little clumps. My vote is oil pan gasket or timing cover. Either way, clean it up real nice with some brake cleaner and monitor after every drive to see where it's weeping from. Good news is if you're not seeing a pool of oil on your driveway/garage floor or on the top-side of the diffuser just below the engine it's a slow weep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts