The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been aimlessly surfing around, looking at random car sites.

For the last 2 hours I've been looking at pics of these RWB Porsches. I saw these more than 2 years ago, when the fad broke, but this is the first time I carefully pored over all the details in the photos. The old 80's 911s are kind of thin and lithe, and I like the butching-up this guy's done. The dirty matte paint and exposed rivets gives them that rat-rod look, which I also like.

Out of curiosity, how much would the drive be ruined if someone were to, hypothetically now, flare out the rear fenders and squeeze in some fat tires with some deep dish rims. And probably do the same up front, albeit to a proportional degree.

Or is the whole idea pure sacriledge etc....etc....Feel free to flame if that's what the question deserves, but I won't deny that I think the stock wheels are too damn thin and make the car look dainty and pussyish.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Let me tell you what I have heard, not what I know:)

It would take some of the sharpness away, but add ultimate grip.

But I think it would be sexy looking.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I too have thought about widening up the fenders, and with the front i was contemplating a hennessy style, however the way thw door opens, it sits bery close to the actual clam so widening the front would be difficult

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,738 Posts
Not a huge fan of wide bodies on these cars. The reason is the car is really short, and the extra width just makes it look funny. On a longer car wide bodies look much better. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, with the stock body, does anyone know what the fattest tire or most aggressive offset would be for front and back?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
What did he end up doing, car-wise?
He's doing some sort of custom street legal 2-11.

It's no secret that I'm no fan of his antics, but I'm very interested to see where that car goes. Could be quite cool.

You can more info at his forum, but be prepared - it's NSFW and your computer will probably get herpes.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That doesn't like right to me sorry. It looks vulgar. Car looks great stock.
I agree. It shows a lack of taste.

Good design is as much about knowing what to leave out, as what to put in.

That car is the automotive equivalent of someone with no ascetic sense getting their hands on Photoshop for the first time.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,738 Posts
This looks like his car. I think he crashed it on the parkway. supercharged and turbo charged.

The World's Fastest Lotus? - YouTube
Yup same car... it was fast, but I had no interest as it sounds like it was constantly needing rebuilds and tinkering... I think he also bought an Audi R8.

As far as the styling goes, I'm also not a fan. The side scoops look really odd, almost like a wart on the side and there is just too much going on. Those wheels look very nasty too, but again looks are in the eye of the beholder.

I will say I like how the scoops are integrated and the wing / mount are cool!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yup same car... it was fast, but I had no interest as it sounds like it was constantly needing rebuilds and tinkering... I think he also bought an Audi R8.

As far as the styling goes, I'm also not a fan. The side scoops look really odd, almost like a wart on the side and there is just too much going on. Those wheels look very nasty too, but again looks are in the eye of the beholder.

I will say I like how the scoops are integrated and the wing / mount are cool!
same thing I was thinking. Its cool that they blended the scoops in but they should have smoothed it out more.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I also just noticed that from the front fender vents to the back is all one piece. Must have been a pain to remove the rear clam.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts