The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe there are more...but I immediately removed the garish airbag stickers from the leather sun visors along with the emission comparison bar graph sticker on the LHS top corner of the windshield. The emmission graph can be removed in several seconds completely by hand and seems to leave little residue. As posted elsewhere, the airbag stickers are stuck on pretty good.

I removed mine from the car by exerting toward the center of the car pressure so that they came off their posts. A shiny metal rod remains in their place. You can leave the visors off as you likely have good sunglasses anyway. And the visors take away from the visibility of traffic lights when you are the first car in line. You can cover the shiny rod with something matte black like a rubber tube, tape, paint or nothing.

My airbag stickers came off by hand pretty easily over about a one minute period using a blow dryer to help out. Quite a bit of residue is left behind. In addition to the glue removal chemicals already noted, "OOPS" multi-purpose remover works fine and won't harm the leather surface. It's available in all hardware stores in my area such as Ace and Home Depot.

Somehow the purity of the Elise clashes with the strident, harsh realities noted on the stickers.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
How do the sun visors mount? In the Miata community, blanking plates are sold so that the visors can be removed without leaving nasty holes.

Visor Blanking Plates

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I don't have experience with these specific stickers, but in general, the best way to remove glue from a sticker is often... the sticker itself! Just reapply and pull off the sticker repeatedly, and it's going to pick up more glue each time. Or do the same with a piece of sticky tape.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Elise sunvisors mount to the round metal rods on which they pivot when you move them into position. You can removed them by hand as they are not screwed into place. I have not examined how the rod itself is mounted to the windshield frame. I think that if I go visor-less I will simply paint or otherwise cover the rods as they are not very obtrusive and this would simplify later refitting of the visors if desired.

One issue with the sunvisors is that when flipped out of the way for sun purposes they obstruct upward vision toward nearby traffic lights. They might work better if they had a curved profile that would hug the windshield frame when not in use rather than flipping forward against the upper portion of the glass.

I don't know if the iterative sticker apply/remove would work in this case - the glue they use is pretty darn sticky and it's supposed to be permanent. Worth a shot though. I still think you'll need some glop remover, and it's easy to get sticky fingers too.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just did the visor sticker removal>>>

Technique (and thanks for you guys starting this...hated looking at those buggers!)... heat sticker with hair dryer and then slowing pull off (I did pull at angle and then switch back to opposite angle..sorta zig zag..seemed to put less pressure on leather of visor)...yup a lot of goo left but I did what ConeFusion suggested and works perfectly...just keep dabbing old sticker onto residual glue and in all comes off...then used Stoners Trim Cleaner just in case there was any residual left and then hit with Zymol leather treatment...looks great! Concerning the visor mount itself...swear it looks like it is pop riveted onto the windshield frame :mad: But looks like the shaft might be able to be removed...maybe it screws out???

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a quick glance at the visor mounting rods...looks like there is a small, black metal cylinder welded to the windshield frame. That stays! And in it is the bright metal rod, sticking out of one side with what appears to be a circlip on it. Looks like those who want to remove that portion of the mount can do so.

Using the car with the de-stickered visors is nicer - no more staring at garish warning labels, just matte, black leather.

Found another sticker to yank...the roof-leaks warning on the passenger side roof rail. Poof, it's gone.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The sunvisor rods come off by unscrewing them:

NtflBlueLiz said:

Regarding the sun visors I removed mine as well. the rods that are left can't be removed by taking out what you are thinking is a circlip, it is a washer. To remove the rods you are going to need a very tiny wrench to grab the flat part of the metal rod and unscrew it from the black plastic bracket that is attached to the car. It takes a good number of turns to pull it out but it eventually comes off and the little plastic bracket that remains is pretty much invisible from the cabin. ...

·
Registered
2006 Exige
2,244 Posts
just thought i'd add a helpful hint...

here is a real simple way to remove stickers like the ones mentioned and it will remove it cleanly

items needed:

any brand of car wax ( can NOT be liquid car wax)

Instructions:

1. Apply a small amount of car wax, full strength, using a cloth/towel to the entire surface area of the sticker in a circular rubbing motion. (wax on)

2. wait approx. 3 minutes

3. peel off

4. wipe off area with whatever cleaner you prefer (wax off) (DONE)

this will work on those stickers you may have on your refrigerator, those stickers that are on tupperware (which are still stuck on their since you bought them probably), and whatever else you can think of

·
Registered
16 Posts
This thread inspired me to remove some stickers. Those airbag stickers are really heavy duty! Used Goof Off to get rid of the residue. I didn't even know I had leather sun visors! Much cleaner look inside now. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts