The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 BRG Elise - The best color
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, threw 2 codes. - P0630 and P0601

My Elise has been sitting for a while and when I went to start it I discovered the battery had gone bad. What's weird is that it had been on a tender so I'm not quite sure that would have happened. The tender has been working fine since I got it several years ago. Do they go bad? If so, how do you tell?

Anyway, got the battery replaced and the shop said that yeah, the battery was toast. Left the tender plugged into the car while the battery was out so I theoretically wouldn't have to reprogram anything. After I got the new battery in, I unplug the tender and the car starts up just fine but throws a CEL.

I finally had the codes read today down at Autozone and it gave me a P0630 and P0601. From searching the forums, I'm guessing it's because the ECU lost power for an extended time, but shouldn't the tender have mitigated that? Does it sound like the ECU is toast or just needs to be re-programmed?

Of course to make matters worse, I have to get it registered next month with a smog check and it won't pass with a CEL. argh!

I assume there's no risk to the engine driving it with these codes? Any info would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll just schlep it down to the dealer when I get a chance. Thanks

·
Registered
719 Posts
those codes just mean that the ecu lost its saved runtime variables. i think this may happen if the ecu loses power when it's trying to save those variables (i.e. cranking on a low battery).

the p0601 will go away after it is reset, but the p0630 needs to have the vin reset via an obd tool. your lotus dealer can do this, as can our aftermarket vendors. you could also try a diy approach.

here's a route that uses a bluetooth obd dongle and a bluetooth terminal program on a phone, assuming a 2005 elise: How to Partially DIY Set the VIN in the ECU for your 2005 Lotus Elise

or, you could try my java program and a vag com cable (also, assuming a 2005 elise): https://github.com/Obeisance/Daft_LotusT4_OBD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts