The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Lotus Exige S240
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an Exige S240 2008 and it has started playing up. The throttle body constantly clicks and the engine runs very erratic. Cleaned all sensors, checked for any vacuum leaks and I thought that I had solved it as I found a 3amp fuse blown that feeds a supply to the immobiliser and when changed it was fine. All running fantastically but then last week I had a flat battery and 'knock my socks' off it started again. Checked all fuses and all ok. I limped home as car would not go faster than 40mph and it was revving up and down. I have double checked all fuses but all OK but throttle body constantly clicking. Have checked fault codes but only saying over retarded which is obvious but not what is causing the fault. Has any one any idea.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
How are you checking the fuses? If it was anything other than pulling the fuse and checking for ~0 resistance, you can get a false negative. Your symptoms do sound like the main ECU fuse blew, so I am hoping it is as simple as you missing something, for your sake.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
So just want to confirm, you did change out the "flat battery" and checked the DBW connector is secure?

·
Administrator
1,479 Posts
I would load test battery and make sure your ground connections on engine and firewall are clean. I shoot some no ox spray and cleaner as I tighten. No ox grease on battery terminals and spray no ox cleaner on DBW connectors. Wouldn't hurt to check interior of TB for cleanliness.

Reactions: B1g Owl

·
Registered
Lotus Exige S240
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are you checking the fuses? If it was anything other than pulling the fuse and checking for ~0 resistance, you can get a false negative. Your symptoms do sound like the main ECU fuse blew, so I am hoping it is as simple as you missing something, for your sake.
Hi, checking fuses with multi meter and all sound?

·
Registered
Lotus Exige S240
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So just want to confirm, you did change out the "flat battery" and checked the DBW connector is secure?
Hi, never changed the battery as I have a lightweight battery protection unit with charger/ conditioner unit fitted with a battery cut of switch (2017).

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Hi, checking fuses with multi meter and all sound?
I don't know what this means... Are you saying it beeps? Just look at the resistance; it'll either be near 0 or far away from it.

Hi, never changed the battery as I have a lightweight battery protection unit with charger/ conditioner unit fitted with a battery cut of switch (2017).
Deep cycling a lightweight battery massively shortens its life compared to a full-size battery, so I'd at the very least watch the voltage while the car is running and see if that also looks low. If it is below a certain threshold, the ECU could be cycling off and on. If this is the case though, then the voltage reported by the ECU will also be erratic either because the voltage truly is erratic or because the ECU reporting the voltage is. If you have another battery that you can test, that could be pretty easy, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts