The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

This is the first time the Elise left me stranded in 5 years of ownership. Was driving and pushed the accelerator pedal and the cable became extremely loose. I checked the pedal connection and the throttle-body connection an it was still attached, just loose. The car runs fine, there is just no acceleration now with the loose throttle cable. I have not had time to take off the under panels to diagnose the problem and I have not seen any threads about replacing the cable/broken cables/loose cables. So I'm just trying to get some feedback to what may have happened. I did not hear any pop (broken cable) so I'm not sure if it's actually broken or just loose somehow. I have no Idea how the cable is installed, so any explanation or diagram would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, I can dive into this problem and get my Elise back on the road soon! Thanks in advance! :unsure:

·
Registered
73 Posts
If it's just a loose cable you should be able to tighten it at the throttle body , there are two nuts on either side of a bolt to adjust the slack in the cable .

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
I remember cable breaking on my Elan (or some car). I just turned up idle higher and drove. NG technique with modern cars.

But, I imagine I could duplicate a bit of that with a paperclip or two. Or, Vise-grip pliers.....

On his Elan, my cousin used string and had a hand control throttle.

Cable should still have a bit of room in it when throttle is fully open, so the stop is on the throttle, NOT the cable.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys!!! I will take a look an see. I hope the bolts are just loose. I don't have any experience with the throttle body/cable so I may have missed that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Have you had someone move the accelerator pedal while you watch the cable in the engine compartment?
Or checked the connection at the pedal. You might need to hire a small child for this step.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you had someone move the accelerator pedal while you watch the cable in the engine compartment?
Or checked the connection at the pedal. You might need to hire a small child for this step.
Not yet, that will be the next step...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I confirmed last night that the cable is broken. I just pulled the wire through the sheath. I think it broke somewhere near the shifter. I started by jacking up the car and removing the two rear under trays. It was a little tricky removing the cable from the throttle body and then cutting the factory zip ties. One zip tie was located way down in the engine bay, I had a hard time cutting that one (I don't think I will be replacing it). Now I have the 1st half of the cable pulled under the car out from the engine bay. Now I just have to see how much interior hardware I need to remove to get the cable pulled through. I have already removed the shifter cover and exposed the shifter frame assembly. I just hope I don't have to remove it and disconnect any shift cables to run a new throttle cable through the firewall. Also, I'm thinking about removing the seat to assume the "Lotus Position" because i'm 6'2" and I can barely reach up in footwell. This may take a while, I still have to order a new cable. :cautious:

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Still, good start.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Seats come out super easy. Removing them makes a huge difference for room. I left my seat belts attached and carefully placed the seats on the garage floor next to the side scoops. Also gives you a chance to give it a good vacuum.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I successfully replaced the throttle cable. It was broken an frayed at the foot-well end of the cable inside the sheath. As you can see from the picture I had to assume the "Lotus Position". This job was not a fun one.... For reference you will have to remove: Diffuser, engine under-tray, (2-3) zip ties that hold the throttle cable, Driver seat, rear cup holder (12 volt), center console trim, hand brake (aluminum handle), loosen the shifter bracket assembly (to gain some clearance to remove the cable near the firewall entrance), perforated aluminum cable housing (have no idea what this is called) and aluminum foot rest. Remove the cable from the throttle body cable quadrant. Pull it through the engine bay, remove 2 plastic cable brackets underneath, then let the cable hang loose and start disassembling the interior side of the cable. After all interior components are removed, crawl inside the foot-well upside down "Lotus position" to remove cable from pedal assembly (helps to take off spring). There is a retaining ring on the backside of the bracket, remove this and it will free up the cable. When installing the the cable you will have to transfer/install the socket ball screw to the new cable (if you get to this point you will see what I'm talking about. Install everything in reverse, the hardest part for me was reinstalling the cable into the existing bracket inside the foot-well. You have to practically install it blind and also have to reinstall a retaining ring that holds the cable in that bracket. It took me 3 attempts and some blood and cursing, lol. Good luck, hope nobody has to do this anytime soon. I may have left out some details but if you have questions I will try to respond.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts