The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a throttle jack solenoid mounting bracket for my 83 Esprit. They are NLA from Lotus, so we're going to try and fabricate one from a picture.

Has anyone done this, or know where a bracket might be available?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,396 Posts
I could take a pic of my car if you want, but again, the Bosch FI cars have the Cold Start injector mounted on the bracket so it is probably different.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the offer for a pic, but in the 83-87 cars the solenoid & mounting bracket are at the front of the motor. I'm getting a picture of what the correct mounting bracket looks like, and have easy access (by Lotus standards) to where it mounts, so it should be fairly easy to come up with something.

Just checking to see if one was around somewhere, OEM is better than DIY.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,396 Posts
in the 83-87 cars the solenoid & mounting bracket are at the front of the motor.

Hmmm, NOW I know why the top of my car's alternator support bracket (that bolts onto the oil pump/aux housing) is machined flat, and has two threaded holes! ;)

Is the ARROW where yours mounts?

:UK:

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Bob

I have an 83 and can measure the bracket if you need dims. But I don't have a spare, unfortunately.

David D.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carbuff- Looks like you're doing the same thing I just did. I'm looking at mine from a different angle, but that looks like it. The solenoid engages when the AC is turned on and bumps the RPM up a couple hundred so the compressor doesn't stall out the motor.

Dief- Thanks The only thing I'm not sure of is how tall it is. If you could measure the height it would help.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,396 Posts
My picture was taken whilst the engine was on a stand, canted sideways.

With the engine in the car, the machined surface is horizontal, the highest point on that bracket.

It makes sense that with a carburetted car, the throttle jack would pull on the front of the throttle shaft...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a diagram from my service parts list book, the throttle jack solenoid is #33 and the mounting bracket is #18. According to this, the bracket doesn't look anything like what I was expecting.

Also, I can't see the machined area w/ threaded holes you arrowed anywhere on the diagram.

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,396 Posts
I looked at my G-car manual, and the alternator mount bracket I was referring to is on Sheet 40.15A, #26.

It does NOT have the flat area on top, however. So I'm still mystified about the flat area's purpose. :(

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've asked a couple of other people about it also and they aren't sure either. Lotus didn't spend the time & $$ to shave that thing flat and put in two threaded holes without a reason. At any rate, I'm going to utilize the thing and make my own throttle jack solenoid assembly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts