The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently when I turn on the AC in my 83 Esprit the idle drops down to 600 RPM and the car stalls.The car is going in the carb shop next week for other issues, might as well fix this at the same time.

I've been going thru my service parts list book studying the section on carburetors and am wondering whether the high idle is controlled by the throttle jack solenoid or something else.

As always thanks for any help.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,315 Posts
IIRC (don't have the manual at work) the throttle jack solenoid (in the RH sail panel) applies vacuum to the jacking capsule (bolted near the intake valve cover).

Don't know if that also controls cold idle speed on your carb'd car. It doesn't on my Bosch FI car.

Anyway, I'd check all the vacuum lines for the proper tight fit. Best do that anyway, as a vacuum leak can affect carb setup.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, IIRC, on my 83 carb'd turbo esprit, when the a/c knob is turned which kicks on the A/C compressor, the throttle jack solenoid should activate and push the butterfly's open a bit to compensate for the drop in rpms at idle. You can check that the throttle jack solenoid is working by turning the ac knob on (when hot outside) and feeling the little plunger on the solenoid (assume the lotus position and it's located near top of the engine close to the cockpit glass above the timing belt, if its loose (up and down) then it's not activating properly. If it's solid and pushing against the carb throttle arm then it's working and may just need some adjustment (screwing out) to open the butterfly's a little more at idle.

Hope this helps..

David D.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks, Dief- I printed a copy of what you wrote.

In my service parts book I have it on page 42.03 as part #B910E9030J.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts