The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I have noticed that in 2nd or 3rd gear, when travelling at fairly low revs, once I release the (light) throttle to slow down, there is a slight jolt in the throttle. It feels like you're dropping the clutch in too quick, although the clutch pedal is not depressed...

Is this a normal Elise phenomenon? It doesn't happen in any other car I have ever driven.

Thanks in advance

Alex

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hi Alex,

Do you have the Rover engine? Not many of those ended up over here because of emissions regulations, we got the Toyota drivetrain instead. You might want to try SELOC | Lotus Enthusiasts Club.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My 08 s240 does this and actually my 05 elise did this. Both Toyota drivetrain. Pretty much if your coming down in speed usually 2nd gear, around 15 mph to 10 miles an hr. the car will jerk forward and back but only once. It's almost like it needs throttle input so it won't do that. This will only happen if not touching the throttle like your coasting.

Actually my audi s4 did that also.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I have noticed that in 2nd or 3rd gear, when traveling at fairly low revs, once I release the (light) throttle to slow down, there is a slight jolt in the throttle. It feels like you're dropping the clutch in too quick, although the clutch pedal is not depressed...
What year is your car? It might be something happening with the Electronic Throttle Control on '06 and newer cars.

It could also be part of the emissions - does the throttle drop or jump up? Some (most?) cars have a system that holds the throttle open a bit above a certain road speed (to prevent excessive emissions that happen at idle), and when the speed drops below that speed, the throttle drops. It's usually not that noticeable, but it's been very obvious on several of my cars... :shrug:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all

It is a 2008 R model, so a Toyota 198bhp engine.

The engine is great fun, and I have no complaints whatsoever, but this "jolt" certainly seems unusual.

It's effectively a jolt "down", as if you released the clutch pedal too quickly after changing down a gear, so it feels like engine braking.

However I'm not changing gear and not touching the clutch pedal, only releasing the throttle and coasting. it's immediately when you start to coast that the "bump" happens.

It happens at low speeds, say between 15-30mph.

Alex

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fpitas - I did leave a message on the SELOC forum which came highly recommended by another lotus driver I met, but nobody could be bothered to reply...!

I thought I'd try this forum and its seems much more helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts