The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight on my way home while driving down the interstate at about 75mph the car all of a sudden started to slow. Pushing in the throttle did nothing. No check engine light. I got over to the shoulder and the engine was still running but no response from the throttle.

Set the parking brake. Turned the car off. Restarted it. Engine fires up but still no response. No CEL. So I turned it back off.
Reset the parking brake. Restarted the car. Engine fires up. No throttle response again. No CEL still.
Let it sit for about three minutes and then tried the gas pedal and it was working again.
What happened??
Made it the rest of the way home with no problems.

Oh. And might just be a weird coincidence but when I started the car each time the speakers all popped even though I didn’t have the radio on. Never noticed that before on startup.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not actually knowing beans about why, I'd yet assume this is a malady of the FBW implementation. Did /can you check codes?
I don’t have a means to check the codes but I never saw the engine light even flicker. Just no throttle. Very weird. And then it just started working again. I’ve had the car stall at traffic lights on a whim a couple of times but this time the engine stayed on, just no gas pedal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had an issue similar to this in my '14 S. In my case, the car failed to read the sensors that tell it what the throttle plate's position is - there were check engine lights, it wouldn't idle, wouldn't rev past ~2k RPM, etc... not like your issue at all. I'm replying because the issue was actually the Toyota/Lexus sourced throttle body plug has a known issue with cracking and allowing the pins to come loose. Wiggling mine and cleaning the contacts (which probably didn't help beyond just wiggling them some more) helped, but the ultimate fix was to replace the plug with one off ebay. Try wiggling yours and see if it does anything.

If that doesn't do anything: Get one of the relevant OBD-II apps for your phone, buy an app-supported wireless OBD-II scanner off amazon, and start logging data with it. You'll want to measure the outputs the computer sees for the pedal and the throttle plate - they're typically pretty easy to find in the app. Export your data to a CSV, load it into a spreadsheet, put them into a line chart, and see if you can spot where things go wrong. You don't need a check engine light to do this.

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
The pop you here makes me think ground issue. Check battery connections. Check throttle body harness. There should be a code somewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts