The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '05 Elise about a week ago and have been going through the car and getting all the maintenance up to date. Pedal heights were way off for heel/toe, so that's one of the first things I addressed. I saw some "up stop" solutions using a bolt and nut, but I found that a steel wheel balancing weight between the pedal and OE rubber nub was the perfect thickness. Had to shorten the down stop and readjust the cable at the throttle body too, of course. Also took some free play out of the brake pedal and readjusted the brakelight switch.

Not fun for a 6'2", 200-lb guy to squeeze into the footwell (!), but taking the driver's seat out sure helped a lot.

The only thing I need to do now is fit a longer spring for throttle pedal return, as first bit of tip-in travel feels too stiff with the preload.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
The push rod on the brake pedal is adjustable. Can be lengthened to raise the brake pedal height (will require adjusting the brake light switch). Do a search on this site for many solutions tried with various levels of success. I did the brake pedal adjustment which worked great for me.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Less is Better
2,515 Posts
Lotus has instructions on adjusting the throttle pedal height from the factory. This is a little more detail but includes the factory instructions. Specifically, see note 6. You may have done it this way already, but I didn't have to change the spring so this may just be FYI.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I did see the factory instructions before; I was just offering up a slightly different way of accomplishing the same task. I'd post a pic, but the iPhone is acting up now.

On the brake pedal, does the big rubber bushing and bolt two-thirds up the pedal have anything to do with its height adjustment, or is it all done at the master cylinder pushrod?

In any case, I've now got a good pedal height relationship, which makes the car much more enjoyable to drive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, here we go. I used one of the narrower weights, which perfectly matches the width of the pedal. Nice sticky tape already on there...just make sure you clean the pedal with solvent before application.

IMG_4842.jpg
IMG_4850.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts